Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Teams: Celtic  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 6 November, 2001, 21:38 GMT
Celts' Maloney mauls Albion
Shuan Maloney was on target four times against Stirling Albion
Shaun Maloney scores his second of four goals
Celtic 8-0 Stirling Albion

Celtic set up a CIS Insurance Cup quarter final date with Livingston after thumping Third Division Stirling Albion at Parkhead.

Young striker Shaun Maloney was the hero for a makeshift Celtic side, finding the net on four occasions.

Welsh international John Hartson pitched in with two goals, while Olivier Tebily and Colin Healy added to Albion's misery.

Ray Stewart's side held firm for the first 20 minutes before they were over-run by the Scottish champions and they were unlucky not to be celebrating a goal after creating a few good chances.

Celtic's Morten Wieghorst was given a warm reception as he marked his return to top team action.

Shaun Maloney finds his progress blocked
Maloney was a constant threat
Out since since 8 April 2000, the Dane had been struck down by the rare brain disease Guilliane-Barre Syndrome last year and at one point it was feared he would not live, let alone play again.

Manager Martin O'Neill rang the changes following Saturday's league victory at St Johnstone.

Paul Lambert and Momo Sylla were suspended with Henrik Larsson, Chris Sutton and Stilian Petrov named as substitutes to give run-outs to Steve Guppy, Jackie McNamara, Stephen Crainey, Maloney, Healy and Tebily.

Albion named two players who knew all about Celtic - former Hoops reserves Tadg Moriarty and Graeme Morrison.


It took Celtic six minutes to fashion a chance when Guppy found Lubo Moravcik down the left, Hartson dummied the cross and Maloney fired well over from a good position.

Alex Williams was Albion's lone striker and a back header from Tebily almost put him in before Kharine knocked the ball away.

Hartson saw a header deflected for a corner and from the set-piece Celtic took a 21st minute lead.

The corner was cleared to Tebily, who hooked the ball goal-ward and the ball travelled past a host of players on its way into the net with Hartson claiming the final touch.

Reid saved his side with a fine parry from Healy but in the 28th minute Maloney slid in to make it 2-0 after Moravcik had rolled a precise pass into the youngster's path.

Albion won a corner in the 33rd minute and when Celtic failed to clear it Kenny McLellan swivelled to fire over the bar.

Soon after, Stephen Reilly headed against the Celtic crossbar having lost his marker at the far post.

Lubo Moravcik and Shaun Maloney
Moravcik congratulates Maloney
In the 40th minute, the fleet-footed Maloney made it 3-0 after more good work from Moravcik.

Maloney was celebrating his first hat-trick for the first team after 53 minutes when headed home a cross from substitute Jamie Smith.

Smith looked determined to make the most of his chance and twice used skill and pace to beat men to get into the box without ever quite finding an opening.

In the 68th minute Maloney made it 5-0 by firing his fourth of a memorable night past Reid after Wieghorst had set him up.

Stirling came close again through substitute Kevin McCallion who forced substitute goalie Jonathan Gould into a good save.

With the part-time visitors tiring, Celtic punished Albion with three goals in a six minute spell.

Tebily rocketed in a great strike in the 72nd minute, with Hartson poking home his second of the night before Healy finished off the scoring, also from close range.

Celtic: Kharine, Balde, Tebily, Crainey, Healy, McNamara, Moravcik, Wieghorst, Guppy, Hartson, Maloney. Subs: Larsson, Sutton, Petrov, Smith, Gould.

Stirling Albion: Reid, Hay, Morrison, Goldie, Henderson, Moriarty, McLellan, Reilly, Nugent, Williams, Munro. Subs: Geraghty, Higgins, McCallion, Edwards, Heighton.

Referee: S Dougal

BBC Sport's Roddy Forsyth
"Celtic had too much firepower"
See also:

07 Nov 01 |  Football
Celtic maul poor Stirling
Links to more Celtic stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Celtic stories

^^ Back to top