Nolberto Solano has joined Aston Villa in a £1.5m move from Newcastle.
Solano has agreed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Midlands outfit.
Villa had an initial offer of around £1m for the 29-year-old Peruvian international winger rejected.
But Villa boss David O'Leary was successful at the second attempt and makes his first signing during the January transfer window.
O'Leary has signalled his desire to strengthen what is already one of the smallest squads in the Premiership.
But he has been left frustrated at the lack of funds at his disposal.
Solano is a popular figure with Magpies fans but has had his share of problems with Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson this season.
He moved to St James' Park in August 1998 from Boca Juniors in a £2.5m move and has started over 200 games for the club since then.
He was reported to have walked out on the Premiership club after being left out of the squad for the north-east derby against Middlesbrough early this season.
Solano and Robson have clashed on previous occasions, with Robson unhappy about him choosing to play for his country ahead of representing Newcastle.
But Robson said he let the player move on reluctantly.
"Nobby is a fine player, and I'm sorry to see him leave," Robson told Newcastle's website.
"I've been here for four-and-a-half years now and he's been a blue chip player for me during that time.
"I wish him well and hope he has a good career with Aston Villa.
"But I must stress that he leaves because he wants to leave. I said to him that he would be in my team at Birmingham City on Saturday, and the public have to know that.
"Aston Villa have bought a very good player for a very good price, and it's also a very good deal for Newcastle United."