Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Scottish Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport Andy Gillies
rounds up all Saturday's Scottish cup action
 real 14k

BBC Sport's Alastair Alexander
"It was a lack lustre performance from Rangers"
 real 14k

banner Saturday, 27 January, 2001, 19:31 GMT
Gers breeze by Brechin
Allan Johnston slams home the opening goal at Ibrox
Allan Johnston slams home the opening goal at Ibrox
Rangers 2-0 Brechin

Goals from Allan Johnston and Kenny Miller gave Rangers a Scottish Cup win over the part-timers of Brechin City at Ibrox.

The Third Division side started the game well and caused their illustrious hosts a number of problems in the first 45 minutes, but their industry was not rewarded with a goal.

Rangers will be glad to have progressed to the fourth round of the competition but there will be some concern at the injuries that forced Ronald de Boer and Jorg Albertz to go off in the first half.

The casualty list at Ibrox is already a lengthy one and manager Dick Advocaat will not want any more setbacks as he hopes to mount a challenge to catch SPL leaders Celtic.

It was injury which forced Rangers to make changes from their last league outing with Tore Andre Flo, Lorenzo Amoruso and Neil McCann all absent.

In their places came Johnston, Tony Vidmar and Jorg Albertz, with Ronald de Boer pushed up to partner Miller.


Brechin were determined not just to defend, naming a 3-4-3 formation.

The Third Division side almost upset the odds when Stefan Klos dropped a cross from Roddy Grant at the feet of Douglas Coulston but the German goalkeeper made amends with a point-blank save.

Jorg Albertz hobbles off the park
Jorg Albertz hobbles off the park
In the 10th minute normal service was resumed when Rangers took the lead. Barry Ferguson threaded a pass through the Brechin rearguard for Johnston to run on and slot past Derek Soutar.

De Boer, who had been badly fouled in the opening minutes, was replaced straight after the goal by Michael Mols.

Brechin defended in numbers but Bailey did manage to hammer in a long range snapshot that landed on the roof of the net.

Good chance

Dick Campbell's team continued to break forward and Grant wasted a good chance in front of goal when he could only stab weakly past Klos, making it an easy task for Tony Vidmar to intercept and clear.

Kenny Miller salutes the crowd
Kenny Miller salutes the crowd
Miller saw his fierce shot cannon off the crossbar after a neat turn on the edge of the Brechin box, but did not have to wait long to get on the scoresheet.

In the 38th minute, the youngster slid in to convert an Albertz pass.

Albertz was injured in the process and was replaced by Tugay.

Rangers were in complete command throughout the second half but failed to extend their lead due to some profligate finishing and stout defending from the plucky visitors.

Rangers:Klos, Ricksen, Konterman, Vidmar, Numan, Johnston, Reyna, Ferguson, Albertz, de Boer, Miller.

Subs: Mols, Wallace, Tugay, Brown, Porrini.

Brechin: Soutar, Raynes, Darren Smith, Bain, Kearney, Greig Smith, Paul Riley, Coulston, Bailey, Black, Grant.

Subs: Nairn, Campbell, Parkyn, Donnachie, Sturrock.

Referee: D Somers

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Scottish Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Scottish Cup stories

^^ Back to top