BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 21:38 GMT, Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Kilmarnock 1-2 Celtic

By David McDaid

Celtic striker Scott McDonald
McDonald was left unmarked before he opened the scoring

Scott McDonald scored twice as Celtic moved back to the top of the SPL with victory away to Kilmarnock.

McDonald was left unmarked in the Kilmarnock area and he steered the ball beyond Alan Combe on 27 minutes.

Danny Invincible levelled from close-range with his side's first shot on goal nine minutes later.

Both teams had spurned good chances to score further before McDonald displayed sublime skill and prodded the ball into the net on 81 minutes.

The visitors had enough opportunities in the opening 45 minutes to put the game beyond Kilmarnock.

But a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping from Combe meant Kilmarnock were still in the match at half-time.

With just three minutes on the clock McDonald passed up a gilt-edged chance to open the scoring.

The Australian beat Derek Lilley to Darren O'Dea's long ball, cut across the defender into the box, but blasted his shot past the post.

Shunsuke Nakamura has tormented Kilmarnock during his four seasons in Scotland, scoring eight goals against the Ayrshire club.

And the Japanese almost added to that tally with a drive from the edge of the box that flew inches past the post.

As Kilmarnock struggled to make headway towards the Celtic goal the best they could muster was a wayward Jamie Hamill free-kick, and a skewed cross that almost caught out goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

But with 27 minutes on the clock McDonald made up for his earlier miss as he curled the ball beyond Combe and inside the far post.


The striker's finish was inch-perfect, but Killie boss Jim Jefferies will be unhappy that McDonald was completely unmarked as he received Crosas' pass in the penalty area.

Within minutes Combe came to his team's rescue twice as Celtic exploited gaping holes in the right side of Killie's defence.

First the keeper blocked Scott Brown's close-range effort, then he deflected Aiden McGeady's low shot on to the crossbar.

Celtic were made to rue their wastefulness in front of goal on 36 minutes when Invincible side-footed past Boruc, with the visitors failing to deal with Craig Bryson's corner.

Five minutes after the restart Celtic's defence were almost punished a second time for failing to attack a high ball.

David Fernandez should perhaps have done better than lob over the bar with Boruc advancing, but the early chance seemed to lift the home side.

Kilmarnock began to find more space in attack and could have taken the lead on two further occasions before the hour mark through Kevin Kyle and Connor Sammon, who badly miscued a free header from 12 yards out.

At the other end Combe produced another fantastic save to deny Gary Caldwell's bullet header at point-blank range.

But with nine minutes remaining McDonald showed wonderful skill to turn Lilley on the edge of the box before toe-poking the ball in from 12 yards to give Celtic a vital victory.

Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies:
"I thought we were terrific, but I was disappointed at their first goal because McDonald is their main striker and he was on his own.

"We had two great chances, from David Fernandez and Connor Sammon.

"David should have stuck it away, and Connor should have chested it down, but in the end it was a complete fresh-air header.

"But how could you fault our team tonight?

"Normally we like to get the ball down and pass it, but I said to the players to knock it in behind them, and when we did that we always gave them problems.

"I can fault my players for the first goal, but the second was piece of magic from McDonald - it took a class goal like that to beat us tonight."

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan:
"We said a couple of weeks ago there would be twists and turns and I'm sure that's not it finished yet.

"I thought we were absolutely fantastic, we couldn't have started any game better than we did tonight.

"The players were terrific, they could have panicked after Kilmarnock got the goal back, but they kept playing the right game.

"Kilmarnock hung in there, showed good determination, and the guys up front were always a threat with the longer ball they were playing.

"For his second goal Scott was twisting and turning and we were thinking 'lay it off', and then we thought 'no - keep going'.

"But I think it's going to be an exciting run-in for the title."

Kilmarnock: Combe, Clancy, Hay, Ford, Lilley, Bryson, Pascali, Hamill, Invincibile (Taouil 86), Fernandez (Sammon 57), Kyle.
Subs Not Used: Rascle, Skelton, O'Leary, Flannigan, Anson.

Booked: Hamill, Ford.

Goals: Invincibile 36.

Celtic: Boruc, Hinkel, O'Dea, Caldwell, McManus, Scott Brown, Crosas, Nakamura, McGeady, Samaras (Hutchinson 78), McDonald.
Subs Not Used: Fox, Loovens, Hartley, Flood, Conroy, Millar.

Booked: McGeady, O'Dea.

Goals: McDonald 27, 81.

Att: 6,712

Ref: C Thomson

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Kilmarnock's David Fernandez with 8.33 (on 90 minutes).

Please note that you can still give the players marks out of 10 on BBC Sport's Player Rater after the match has finished.

Print Sponsor

see also
SPL as it happened
04 Mar 09 |  Scottish Premier
SPL photo gallery
04 Mar 09 |  Scottish Premier

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.