BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 15:51 GMT, Saturday, 4 October 2008 16:51 UK

Aberdeen 1-2 Hibernian

By Andy Campbell

Hibernian striker Derek Riordan
Riordan (far left) strikes Hibs' winner from the penalty spot

A Derek Riordan double gave Hibernian victory at Pittodrie as Aberdeen lost for a fifth consecutive match.

A defensive slip by Lee Mair allowed the Hibs striker to give the visitors the lead after 33 minutes.

But Lee Miller equalised from the penalty spot eight minutes later after being fouled in the box by Sol Bamba.

Hibs regained the lead when Charlie Mulgrew handled on the line and Riordan converted the resultant spot kick with ten minutes remaining.

The home side enjoyed the bulk of possession early on and carved out a good chance to score on the quarter-hour mark when Richard Foster's shot was palmed away by Yves Ma-Kalambay.

Four minutes later, Hibs' strikers combined well with Steven Fletcher's reverse pass creating a shooting chance for Colin Nish, which the former Kilmarnock forward fired wide.

Darren Mackie then drew a save from Ma-Kalambay with a volley from Miller's knockdown before the Hibs keeper was called upon again to deny the Dons when Miller struck powerfully from the edge of the penalty area.

Hibs opened the scoring when Mair's short pass-back to Langfield was intercepted by Riordan and the former Celtic striker rounded the goalkeeper before rolling into the net.

Within seconds of that setback, Aberdeen captain Scott Severin found space inside the penalty area and tried to bend a shot past Ma-Kalambay but the Belgian keeper continued to frustrate the hosts with another block.

Fletcher then missed an excellent chance to double Hibs' lead when he blazed over after being found by John Rankin's pass.

The Dons equalised in the 41st-minute when referee Mike McCurry penalised Bamba's challenge on Miller.

Mark Kerr and Ian Murray
Ian Murray (right) holds off the challenge of Mark Kerr

Miller took the responsibility himself and fired confidently past Ma-Kalambay.

The home side continued to apply pressure at the start of the second half with Miller, Aluko and Mulgrew all having efforts at goal.

With 22 minutes remaining, Foster forced his way past the Hibs defence but Ma-Kalambay dived bravely to claim the ball on the deck.

Hibs came close to regaining the lead when Rankin's cross found Nish at the back post but the striker's header crept wide.

Moments later, substitute Dean Shiels sent Nish through on goal and, after Langfield had saved the shot, Rankin's rebound effort was flicked towards goal by Fletcher, who looked to be offside.

Mulgrew used a hand to block the ball on the line and referee McCurry pointed to the spot for a second time and showed the Aberdeen player a straight red card.

The Dons players protested at the spot-kick award, claiming the flag should have been raised for an earlier offside, and Mair was booked.

Riordan stepped up and sent Langfield the wrong way with a composed finish.

Fletcher fizzed a shot wide as Hibs went in search of a third and Aberdeen were unable to create a meaningful chance in the closing stages.

Defeat means the Dons have yet to win a home match this season.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood:
"It's so disappointing, the lads have given everything to get the victory. We were in the ascendancy for virtually the whole game.

"We got a sloppy goal against us and we came back from that and got the penalty. I thought the referee had a wonderful game but if it's a goal-scoring chance for Lee Miller, why does Sol Bamba not get sent off?

"In the second half, they were dangerous on the break but we were handling it well. We were pushing forward and it just wouldn't drop for us.

"Then we got hit with a sucker punch. Seemingly Fletcher was offside but it was a difficult one for Mike McCurry to see. The linesman should be seeing it."

Hibernian manager Mixu Paatelainen:
"This is not an easy place to come but the boys put in a tremendous effort.

"We set out in a very positive manner with players who were able to score goals and thankfully we scored two and won the game. Yves Ma-Kalambay showed what a good goalkeeper he is.

"There's always speculation when there's a penalty. The referee awarded us a penalty and we gladly took it. There were question marks over the penalty we conceded as well.

"These decisions are very difficult for the referee and they have to make a decision in a split second. Today it was one penalty each, so it was evens."

Aberdeen: Langfield, Hodgkiss (Young 76), Mair, Diamond, Mulgrew, Foster, Kerr, Severin, Aluko, Mackie (Maguire 66), Miller.
Subs Not Used: Bossu, McDonald, Wright, Duff, Considine.

Sent Off: Mulgrew 79. Booked: Mair, Severin.

Goal: Miller 42 pen.

Hibernian: Ma-Kalambay, van Zanten, Bamba, Jones, Murray, Rankin, Thicot (Shiels 74), Stevenson, Fletcher, Nish, Riordan.
Subs Not Used: McNeil, Yantorno, Keenan, Hanlon, Chisholm, Pinau.

Booked: Nish.

Goals: Riordan 33, 80 pen.

Att: 10,793

Ref: Mike McCurry

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Hibernian's Derek Riordan 7.86 (on 90 minutes).

Please note that you can still give the players marks out of 10 on BBC Sport's Player Rater after the match has finished.

Print Sponsor

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.