Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 29 September 2007, 15:53 GMT 16:53 UK
Inverness CT 4-2 Falkirk
Inverness CT's Dennis Wyness (right) is congratulated by Barry Wilson and Marius Niculae (left)
Wyness gave Inverness the best possible start with an early strike
Inverness climbed off the foot of the Scottish Premier League after getting the better of Falkirk in an entertaining six-goal contest.

Dennis Wyness scored twice for Caley Thistle at the Caledonian Stadium to take his tally to four in the last three matches.

Russell Duncan and Ian Black were also on target in a dominant first-half.

Falkirk's replies came from Kenny Milne and teenager Scott Arfield, whose first senior goal was a stunning volley.

Inverness began positively, with Don Cowie volleying over the bar after a minute's play.

The Highlanders came into the game as the SPL's bottom side but they made an ideal start and were ahead after only seven minutes.

Wyness notched his third strike in eight days following goals against Hearts and Gretna.

Marius Niculae was the first to take aim at Tim Krul's goal, but his shot was deflected and Wyness was in the right place to apply a clinical finish.

Falkirk replied with efforts from full-back Dean Holden and Carl Finnigan, making his first start of the season, but Caley Thistle preserved their advantage.

Duncan was then allowed too much freedom by the Falkirk defence and reached the penalty area on a run from midfield before Krul turned his shot wide for a corner.

Phil McGuire headed wide from another chance as Inverness chased a second goal, and it arrived in the 18th minute when Duncan, helped by a deflection, beat Krul with a fierce shot from outside the penalty area.

Falkirk were given a lifeline in the 27th minute when defender Kenny Milne converted Tam Scobbie's free-kick from the right flank.

But the two-goal cushion was restored five minutes later when Ian Black produced an impressive finish with the outside of his right foot after Niculae headed the ball down for the midfielder.

John Hughes must have read the riot act to his Falkirk players at half-time as the Bairns scored within a minute of the restart, Arfield's sweetly-struck 25-yard volley whistled low past Fraser into the net.

Yet Falkirk's porous defence again cost them after 54 minutes when Wyness grabbed his second of the game.

A clever flick from the 30-year-old bought him space and he curled a precise shot past Krul to once again stretch the home side's lead to two goals.

Fraser then made a straightforward save from Patrick Cregg's 25-yard shot.

The policy of fielding three strikers in the same team did not seem to be working out for Falkirk, but Hughes persisted beyond the hour mark in the hope Higdon, Moutinho or Finnigan would come good.

Former Crewe frontman Higdon threatened with a header which Fraser turned wide for a corner, before Finnigan tried his luck but failed to beat the home shot-stopper.

Inverness CT: Fraser, Tokely, McBain, McGuire, Munro, Wilson (Morgan 87), Duncan, Cowie, Black (Hastings 75), Niculae (Bayne 87), Wyness. Subs Not Used: Malkowski, McDonald, Kerr, Vigurs.

Goals: Wyness 7, Duncan 18, Black 32, Wyness 54.

Falkirk: Krul, Holden, Scobbie (Allison 72), Barr, Milne, Arfield, Cregg, Latapy (Wallner 72), Moutinho (Barrett 72), Finnigan, Higdon. Subs Not Used: Olejnik, Aafjes, Riera, Craig.

Booked: Cregg.

Goals: Milne 28, Arfield 47.

Att: 4,011

Ref: D Somers

Brewster hails Inverness victory
29 Sep 07 |  Inverness CT


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us