BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Monday, 2 January 2006, 16:56 GMT
Kilmarnock 2-2 Hibernian
Gary Wales celebrates his vital late goal
An injury-time goal by Gary Wales secured a deserved point for Kilmarnock at home to Hibs.

Steven Naismith put Killie ahead with a terrific 25-yard strike after 30 minutes only for Chris Hogg scramble in an equaliser on the hour mark.

Garry O'Connor looked to have won the game for the visitors with a superb shot that found the top corner five minutes from time.

But deep in stoppage time, Wales was on hand to knock the ball over the line.

Wales, back in the starting line-up following Kris Boyd's departure to Rangers, looked dangerous from the off, twice threatening the Hibs goal in the opening moments.

Kille keeper Alan Combe was first brought into action when he produced a brilliant save from a sweet strike by O'Connor from just outside the box.

The visitors suffered a blow in the 24th minute, though, when French playmaker Guillaume Beuzelin had to be taken off on a stretcher, with Hogg replacing him and Gary Caldwell moving into midfield.

The change undoubtedly affected Hibs' momentum and it was no surprise when Naismith fired Killie ahead with a fine 25-yard effort, though Ziggy Malkowski should have made a better job of keeping it out.

Malkowski was almost caught out again six minutes later when James Fowler spotted him trying to anticipate a cross and went for goal, the Polish keeper having to quickly recover his ground.

Garry O'Connor salutes the Hibs fans after his goal
Garry O'Connor salutes the Hibs fans after his goal

The keeper did well just before half-time to keep out Allan Johnston from close range after the former Hearts man had wriggled free brilliantly on the touchline.

Combe did likewise in first-half injury-time, tipping Riordan's blistering 22-yard drive over to preserve his side's lead going into the break.

Hibs began the second half well and eventually drew level from Kevin Thomson's inswinging corner in the 60th minute, substitute Hogg lashing the ball high into the net after a furious scramble inside the Killie six-yard box.

Danny Invincibile could have regained Killie's lead a minute later but he fired wildly over from a tight angle.

Hibs thought they had the winner when Caldwell slid O'Connor through and he made no mistake, firing clinically into the top left-hand corner for his ninth SPL goal of the season.

Killie rallied though and Wales struck the equaliser from close range after Lilley's header had come back off the post.

Kilmarnock: Combe, Greer, Hay, Lilley, Wright, Johnston, Invincibile (McDonald 61), Fowler, Wales, Naismith, Nish (Di Giacomo 87).

Subs Not Used: Bell, Dodds, Murray, Campbell, Loy.

Goals: Naismith 30, Wales 90.

Hibernian: Malkowski, Whittaker, Glass, Caldwell, Smith (Rudge 76), Thomson, Riordan, Fletcher (McDonald 87), Beuzelin (Hogg 25), O'Connor, Sproule.

Subs Not Used: Simon Brown, Konte, Morrow, Murphy.

Booked: Glass, Thomson, Whittaker.

Goals: Hogg 60, O'Connor 85.

Att: 9,224

Ref: B Winter


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport