BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 3 December 2005, 17:01 GMT
Rangers 2-2 Falkirk
Alan Gow and Ian Murray challenge at Ibrox
Falkirk hit back from two goals down to earn a draw at Ibrox as Rangers' poor run of form continued.

Bairns defender Craig Ireland inadvertently gave the home side a first half lead when he turned a Thomas Buffel strike into his own net.

And Peter Lovenkrands extended Rangers' lead from the penalty spot after youngster Chris Burke was tripped.

But Alan Gow's effort lobbed goalkeeper Ronald Waterreus before Pedro Moutinho coolly flicked in the equaliser.

Rangers have now gone nine games without a win and slipped to fifth in the SPL table.

And the final minutes of the game were played in front of a largely empty stadium as thousands of disgruntled fans left early.

Falkirk played bright, inventive football after the interval and were well worth a share of the points.

But Rangers started well and had chances to have had the game wrapped up by half-time.

Steven Thompson returned to the Rangers line up and the striker came close with an early shot that squeezed through the Falkirk defence only to fall inches wide of the target.

Falkirk threatened when former Rangers midfielder Russell Latapy sent a free-kick whistling past the post.

Buffel raced into the penalty box and shot at goalkeeper Matt Glennon and Lovenkrands hit the post with the rebound.

But the Ibrox side did not have to wait too much longer for a goal and the breakthrough came after 31 minutes with Buffel again involved.

The Belgian international took advantage of Tiago losing his footing to skip past the Falkirk player and fire in a shot that Ireland, in his attempts to clear the danger, turned into his own net.

Ireland then went some way to making amends when he hooked a Thompson effort off the line, before making way for Craig McPherson after just 38 minutes.

With 56 minutes on the clock, Rangers doubled their advantage, again with the help of their opponents.

Kenny Milne foolishly upended Burke and Lovenkrands slotted home the penalty kick.

Rangers were stunned when Falkirk pulled a goal back after 68 minutes after Gow collected the ball just inside the area and found the net with a sweet lob.

And there was worse to come for Rangers when Falkirk hauled themselves back onto level terms three minutes later.

Gow was the provider, sending a terrific through-ball into the path of Moutinho, who raced past the Ibrox defence before clipping the ball into the bottom corner.

Rangers: Waterreus, Hutton, Andrews, Kyrgiakos, Murray, Burke, Ricksen, Malcolm, Lovenkrands (McCormack 76), Thompson, Buffel (Jeffers 65). Subs Not Used: Klos, Pierre-Fanfan, Namouchi, Smith, N'Guessan.

Booked: Murray, Ricksen, Malcolm, Burke. Goals: Ireland 31 og, Lovenkrands 56 pen.

Falkirk: Glennon, Lawrie, Ireland (McPherson 39), Rodrigues, Milne, Moutinho (O'Neil 76), Scally, Latapy, Santos, Duffy, Gow. Subs Not Used: Ferguson, McStay, McBreen, Mesaoudi, Allison.

Booked: Lawrie, Scally, McPherson, Moutinho. Goals: Gow 69, Moutinho 71.

Att: 48,042

Ref: I Fyfe


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport