BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 2 April, 2005, 16:12 GMT 17:12 UK
Inverness CT 0-1 Aberdeen
Whelan looks unflustered after notching the winning goal
Whelan looks unflustered after notching the winning goal
A Noel Whelan goal late in the first half gave Aberdeen all three points in a less-than-entertaining match against Inverness Caley Thistle.

The only goal of the game came courtesy of a mistake by the home side's defender Grant Munro.

His sliced clearance fell kindly for Whelan who placed the ball past Mark Brown and into the net.

Caley Thistle will feel they deserved a point after creating a number of late chances but it was not to be.

The opening period was almost devoid of goalmouth incident.

Grant Munro made a timely diving block to deny Chris Clark, who hit a rasping shot from the edge of the box.

At the other end, Markus Heikkinen should have done better in the 27th minute but he blasted a shot wide from the edge of the area.

Caley produced the best move of the game so far three minutes later.

Roy McBain expertly held the ball up on the left flank and picked out Brewster with an excellent flick. The veteran striker tried to send a left-foot volley past Esson, but the goalkeeper tipped it wide.

The home side went close again, but Juanjo was unable to turn McBain's effort from the edge of the box into the net.

They were to pay for their profligacy in the 39th minute when Aberdeen took the lead.

Grant Munro sliced Michael Hart's cross towards his own goal and into Whelan's path and the striker gleefully slid a shot under Mark Brown and into the far corner of the net.

The start of the second half failed to produce much more in the way of chances, though Brewster had a back-post header, which failed to find the target.

Aberdeen brought on their new striker Lubomir Blaha and he almost endeared himself to the fans immediately, but the woodwork denied him his first goal after he met Ricky Foster's cross from the left with his head.

Bajram Fetai hooked a shot wide in the 79th minute after a great flick-on by Brewster.

Bryan Prunty thought he had equalised in the dying seconds, but Ryan Esson tipped his header onto the crossbar.

Inverness CT: Brown, Tokely, Dods, Munro, Golabek, Hart (Fetai 58), Duncan, McBain (Bayne 84), Wilson, Brewster, Juanjo (Prunty 71).

Subs Not Used: Fraser, McCaffrey, Hastings, Proctor.

Booked: Golabek, Brewster.

Aberdeen: Esson, Hart, Anderson (McGuire 35), Diamond, Byrne, Winter (Foster 45), Severin, Heikkinen, Clark, Mackie, Whelan (Blaha 73).

Subs Not Used: Preece, Morrison, Muirhead, Stewart.

Booked: Clark, Whelan.

Goal: Whelan 39.

Att: 7,026

Ref: Alan Freeland


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport