BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 26 October 2005, 20:37 GMT 21:37 UK
Livingston 2-2 Rangers
Livi celebrate Robert Snodgrass's equaliser
Champions Rangers fell further behind in the SPL race after throwing away a two-goal lead at Almondvale.

Barry Ferguson opened the scoring after 15 minutes, latching on to a cutback from Chris Burke to slam the ball home.

Burke doubled the visitors' lead early in the second-half when he slid in to convert a low Olivier Bernard cross.

Livi hit back almost immediately when a 30-yard strike from Robert Snodgrass found the back of the net and the same player flicked in a header to level.

Rangers have failed to win in any of their last six away fixtures and are now 11 points behind SPL leaders Hearts.

Livingston remain bottom of the table but, with two consecutive home draws, are just a point behind Dunfermline.

The home side found themselves in early trouble when a slack back-pass from Harold Pinxten was almost punished by a sliding Peter Lovenkrands but he just failed to connect in front of goal.

However, Rangers did not have to wait too long for the opener and they were ahead after 15 minutes.

Burke raced down the right flank before squaring into the path of Ferguson who drove home from the edge of the penalty area.

Only the quick reaction of Roddy McKenzie prevented Rangers from adding to their lead when Lovenkrands raced past several defenders only to see his point-blank shot blocked by the goalkeeper.

Rangers found it difficult to create much more from open play despite dominating the first-half but there was a goal threat from Ibrox defender Marvin Andrews.

The Trinidad & Tobago international got headers to three set-pieces but saw McKenzie save the first and the other two flash wide.

Greg Strong came closest for Livingston when he forced a save out of Ronald Waterreus with a powerful deflected shot.

Rangers appeared to be in control when they found the back of the net again after 54 minutes.

Bernard whipped a dangerous cross across the face of goal, Burke and Paul Tierney both raced in at the back post, and it was the Rangers youngster who claimed the final touch from six yards.

But the celebrations were short-lived when Livingston clawed a goal back in bizarre circumstances two minutes later.

Snodgrass tried his luck with a shot from long range, Waterreus looked as though he thought the effort was falling wide and reacted too slowly to prevent the ball nestling in the bottom corner.

The comeback was complete after 64 minutes when Andrews and Snodgrass jumped together to meet a Tierney free-kick into the box and it was the Livingston striker who got the final touch to nod home.

The home side had a chance to win the game when James McPake was right through on Waterreus but shot straight at the keeper's knees.

Livingston: McKenzie, Mackay, Strong, Pinxten, Tierney, Lambert (Neil Barrett 45), Adams (McPake 56), Walker, Brittain, Snodgrass (Pereira 81), Scott. Subs Not Used: Adam, Miller, Boyd, Roy.

Booked: Scott, Walker. Goals: Snodgrass 56, 64.

Rangers: Waterreus, Ricksen, Pierre-Fanfan, Andrews, Bernard, Hemdani, Ferguson, Burke, Prso, Murray (Thompson 74), Lovenkrands. Subs Not Used: Namouchi, Alex Rae, Hutton, Klos, McCormack, Malcolm.

Booked: Murray, Bernard. Goals: Ferguson 15, Burke 54.

Att: 9,481

Ref: C Thomson

Interview: Rangers boss Alex McLeish


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport