BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 19 March, 2005, 16:48 GMT
Dunfermline Ath 1-4 Hibernian
Jamie McCluskey congratulates goalscorer Derek Riordan
Riordan (right) scored twice in the first game on the new pitch
Substitute Steven Fletcher and Derek Riordan grabbed doubles to end Hibernian's run of three defeats.

Barry Nicholson struck from the edge of the box to give Dunfermline Athletic the lead and then struck the crossbar.

But Riordan headed the equaliser and Fletcher prodded home the second when goalkeeper Derek Stillie hesitated after dropping a cross.

Fletcher fired in from six yards and then set up Riordan to stroke in the fourth on the new artificial surface.

It ended a 14-year winning drought for Hibs at East End Park.

The Pars, only four points above bottom side Dundee United, were still reeling from a 6-0 thrashing by Celtic.

But their injury problems had relented and Derek Young, Billy Mehmet, Scott Thomson and Aaron Labonte came in for youngsters Greg Ross, Iain Campbell, Craig Wilson and Scott Wilson.

Dunfermline took control of the game early on when Stephen Glass, in for the injured Guillaume Beuzelin, was through on goal.

However, just as the former Aberdeen midfielder shaped to pull the trigger from 10 yards out, Labonte came in with a saving tackle.

Riordan flashed an angled shot across the Dunfermline six-yard box after being played in cleverly by O'Connor.

O'Connor blazed a shot of his own from tight on the by-line high over the bar.

Nicholson tested Hibs goalkeeper Simon Brown with a 25-yard drive that was tipped over the bar by the Englishman.

Gary Caldwell headed wide of the Pars goal from 12 yards out as the Scotland international squandered a chance to equalise.

Steven Whittaker was found unmarked by O'Connor but failed to control the ball in front of goal.

Whittaker minutes later lost possession to Darren Young, who found Simon Donnelly and he sent Nicholson clear at the edge of the penalty area, where the former Rangers player struck a sweet shot into the corner of the net.

Riordan looked to be poised to equalise after the break, but Andy Tod cleared the striker's effort after it beat goalkeeper Derek Stillie.

Dunfermline came close at the other end, another Nicholson drive striking the face of the bar.

Riordan headed the equaliser following a superb Whittaker cross.

Fletcher scored the second within three minutes as Stillie stood expecting to be awarded a foul.

The substitute added the third following a David Murphy pass and set up Riordan for the fourth to complete Dunfermline's collapse.

Dunfermline: Stillie, Tod, Scott Thomson, Skerla, Darren Young, Derek Young (Hunt 74), Nicholson, Labonte (Ross 32), Christiansen, Donnelly, Mehmet.
Subs Not Used: Langfield, McKeown, Campbell, Craig Wilson, McGlinchey.

Goals: Nicholson 43.

Hibernian: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Caldwell (McCluskey 61), Smith, Murphy, Scott Brown (Fletcher 61), Shiels, Ian Murray, Glass, O'Connor (Konte 76), Riordan.
Subs Not Used: Shields, McDonald, Alistair Brown, Sproule. Booked: Whittaker.

Goals: Riordan 66, Fletcher 69, 75, Riordan 81.

Att: 7,204

Ref: H Dallas

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport