BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 15 October 2005, 16:04 GMT 17:04 UK
Inverness CT 1-1 Aberdeen
Graham Bayne is surrounded by team-mates as Barry Nicholson looks on
Graham Bayne ended his recent injury nightmare with a 73rd-minute equaliser against Aberdeen.

The striker capitalised on Ryan Esson's inability to hold a low drive from David Proctor to drive into the net.

The Dons had taken the lead after 55 minutes when a fantastic strike from Jamie Smith flew into the top corner from 30 yards out.

Dennis Wyness could have given the home side all three points at the end but he shot straight at a relieved Ryan Esson.

Aberdeen showed their versatility as Jimmy Calderwood adopted a 3-5-2 formation, a change from the more orthodox 4-4-2 system he had deployed in their last two games.

Indeed, the away side made the more promising start.

In the sixth minute Scott Muirhead found space to send a testing cross into the area.

Steve Crawford was on hand to meet the ball with a firm header, but his effort landed well clear of Mark Brown's goal.

Moments later, Darren Mackie had a shot charged down by Proctor before McNaughton curled an effort from the edge of the box just wide of Brown's far post.

Smith, the most advanced player in Aberdeen's three-man midfield, was starting to exert his influence on proceedings and from his free-kick in the 18th minute, Scott Severin sent a glancing header towards goal which was easily caught by Brown.

In the 28th minute, Inverness finally tested Aberdeen goalkeeper Esson who had been a virtual spectator during the early stages of the match.

Wyness attempted to send a low drive towards goal but screwed his effort horribly wide.

However, the on-rushing Craig Dargo was on hand to make contact with the ball and flick it towards goal - where Esson made a comfortable catch.

The second half started in more promising fashion and a minute after the restart, Liam Fox received a knock-down from Wyness and sent a half-volley from 25 yards wide of goal.

Despite Inverness starting the second-half on the front foot, Aberdeen took the lead thanks to a scorching drive from Smith in the 56th minute.

The ex-Celtic player picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and launched a shot which arrowed into the top right-hand corner of Brown's goal.

The game was to change five minutes later though as Bayne entered the fray and 16 minutes from time he lifted the ball over Esson - who had failed to hold onto Proctor's shot - for the equaliser.

In the last minute, substitute Richie Hart presented Wyness with an excellent opportunity to score against his former team.

But the striker, who is on loan from Hearts, fired his disappointing effort straight at a relieved Esson and the game ended in a draw.

Inverness CT: Brown, Tokely, Dods, Hastings, Morgan, Proctor, Fox (Black 87), Duncan, Wilson (Hart 88), Wyness, Dargo (Bayne 60). Subs Not Used: Fraser, Golabek, Parratt, McAllister. Booked: Proctor, Dods, Wilson.

Goals: Bayne 73.

Aberdeen: Esson, Anderson, Diamond, Severin, Smith, Nicholson, McNaughton, Dempsey (Winter 75), Muirhead, Mackie (Lovell 62), Crawford (Stewart 80). Subs Not Used: Langfield, Foster, Considine, Macauley.

Goals: Smith 55.

Att: 6,809

Ref: S Dougal


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport