BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Monday, 27 December, 2004, 16:51 GMT
Kilmarnock 3-1 Dundee
Kilmarnock ended a run of poor form against Dundee
Kilmarnock ended the year with a much-needed win over a poor Dundee side at Rugby Park.

Danny Invincibile volleyed Killie in front after combining well with Gary MacDonald and Simon Ford headed the home side further ahead.

Dundee hit back before half time when John Sutton glanced home a cross from strike partner Steve Lovell.

Kris Boyd made the points safe when he drilled in a shot from the edge of the penalty area in the 82nd minute.

Killie were first to threaten, with Boyd showing nimble feet to get his low shot away on the turn but Derek Soutar pushed the ball away and Brent Sancho was on hand to clear.

The visitors hit back when Steven Robb produced a superb free-kick which looked to be heading for the top corner before stand-in keeper Graeme Smith tipped it impressively round the post.

The Ayrshire side threatened again 10 minutes later. Invincibile and Gordon Greer combined smoothly down the right and, from the latter's cross Colin Nish, scuffed a shot wide from a promising position.

From an almost identical move six minutes later, the home side did take the lead. This time Invincibile teamed up with Gary MacDonald before creeping into the box unmarked to finish with a confident volley.

Dundee almost drew level in the 25th minute when, from a short free-kick, Jonay Hernandez cut inside and unleashed a powerful shot which Smith again did well to parry.

From Garry Hay's 38th minute left-wing free-kick Killie doubled their lead when Ford rose unmarked to power home his first goal for the club.

However, within 60 seconds Dundee pulled a goal back, with Lovell picking out striker partner Sutton from the right and the Englishman found the net with a glancing header.

MacDonald should have scored early in the second half when the ball dropped to him six yards out but he could only stab weakly at goal and Soutar, scrambling across his line, kept the ball out.

Two minutes later Gary Hay's low drive from the edge of the box was turned just over by Boyd.

Killie continued to be profligate, Boyd again fluffing his lines when slid through by Colin Nish.

Just when Dundee were beginning to mount something of a late surge, Boyd finally wrapped up the points for his side.

The ball was cleared from inside the Killie half, Nish controlled it well, rolled it into the path of Boyd and the young striker ended his goal famine with a sweet strike into bottom right-hand corner.

Kilmarnock: Smith, Ford, Dindeleux, Greer, Naismith (Johnston 74), McDonald, Leven, Invincibile, Hay, Boyd, Nish. Subs Not Used: Samson, Locke, Dargo, Wales, Murray, Wolski.

Booked: Greer. Goals: Invincibile 18, Ford 38, Boyd 82.

Dundee: Soutar, Smith, McDonald, Sancho, Hernandez Santos, McNally, Barrett (Fotheringham 73), Robb (Cerdeira 67), Brady, Sutton, Lovell. Subs Not Used: Murray, Larsen, Wilkie, Caballero, Mann.

Booked: Cerdeira, Lovell. Goal: Sutton 39.

Att: 5,468

Ref: H Dallas

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport