BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 15 May, 2004, 16:06 GMT 17:06 UK
Livingston 4-1 Hibernian
Stuart Lovell scores against his old club
Lovell drives home the first goal of the game
Livingston brought the curtain down on an eventful season with an entertaining win over Hibernian at the City Stadium.

Livi skipper Stuart Lovell scored his first goal of the campaign with a good early strike from close range.

And Derek Lilley claimed his 18th goal of the season with 64 minutes gone only for Mathias Doumbe to claw one back for the visitors ten minutes later.

David Fernandez stretched the home side's lead soon after and Lee Makel added a fourth in the dying stages.

Both sides looked preoccupied with thoughts of summer holidays in a subdued opening that saw Fernandez's snapshot from 25 yards trundle past Hibernian keeper Daniel Andersson's left-hand post.

But a goal from out of the blue brightened up proceedings in the 8th minute.

Derek Lilley found Lovell with a pass from the right and the former Hibs man chested the ball down before driving an angled shot from seven yards in off the right-hand post.

Tom McManus cam close for Hibs before team-mate Garry O'Connor shot against the legs of Livi keeper Roddy McKenzie from close range.

With 20 minutes gone Livingston defender Jamie McAllister misjudged a long punt out of defence by Doumbe, allowing O'Connor to race through on goal but his weak strike went wide of the post.

Hibs were pressing hard for the equaliser but lacked a cutting edge as the Livingston defence held firm.

As the first-half drew to a close the visitors dominated but almost fell further behind when Lilley's speculative lob from 20 yards landed on the roof of the net.

Marvin Andrews waves goodbye to the Livi fans
Marvin Andrews waves goodbye to the Livi fans
Livingston had a chance to extend their lead in the 50th minute, when a McAllister cross was headed down by Oscar Rubio to Fernandez only 10 yards from goal but the Spaniard mis-hit his shot allowing Andersson to save comfortably.

On the hour mark the visitors missed a great chance to equalise when a Gary Caldwell pass found O'Connor unmarked inside the box but Scotland under 21 international somehow managed to shoot wide.

The visitors were punished in the 64th minute when Livingston stretched their lead with a terrific goal.

Midfielder John paul McGovern swung a cross in from the right and Lilley threw himself at the ball from eight yards out to give Andersson no chance with his bullet header.

Ten minutes later Doumbe threw Hibs a life-line when he ran on to a Grant Brebner pass to stab a shot through a crowded penalty area and into the corner of McKenzie's net.

But two minutes later Fernandez hammered a Burton O'Brien cross high into the net from 12 yards out.

And in the 89th minute Makel added the fourth with a simple goal after Fernandez sent him clear on goal.

Livingston: McKenzie, McNamee, Rubio, Andrews, McAllister, McGovern, Lovell, O'Brien, Makel, Fernandez, Lilley. Subs: Fleming, McMenamin, McLaughlin, Snowdon, Brittain.

Hibernian: Andersson, Doumbe, Caldwell, Zambernardi, Brebner, Scott Brown, Reid, Shields, McManus, O'Connor, Fletcher. Subs: Alistair Brown, Whittaker, Kane, McDonald, McCaffrey.

Referee: M McCurry

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport