BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 24 April, 2004, 15:57 GMT 16:57 UK
Kilmarnock 2-0 Hibernian
Kris Boyd (left) celebrates his opening goal against Hibs
Kris Boyd (left) celebrates his opening goal against Hibs
A Kris Boyd double gave Kilmarnock all three points against managerless Hibernian, who were never at the races.

Killie deservedly took the lead in 28 minutes when Boyd easily turned Colin Murdock before driving the ball past Daniel Andersson.

The home side continued to dominate and could have added to their lead when Boyd hit the post with a header.

Five minutes from time, Boyd sealed the points when he calmly slipped the ball under Andersson.

The game did not start in promising fashion and it was the 22nd minute before a decent goalscoring opportunity was created.

Stephen Murray did well on the left before finding Craig Dargo, who teed up Rhian Dodds just outside the box but his shot was well saved by Daniel Andersson down to his left.

But the home side deservedly went ahead in the 28th minute when Freddy Dindeleux played the ball up to Boyd on the edge of the area and he comfortably turned away from Colin Murdock before driving a shot past Andersson.

Derek Riordan ran onto Gary Caldwell's long ball and fired just wide of the far post from close range as Hibs looked to reply before Murdock made amends for his part in the Killie goal.

Murray sent Boyd away down the left wing and he pulled the ball back from the touchline, but the defender stretched to put the ball behind with Kilmarnock players queuing up.

Boyd fired just wide in the 40th minute and then Andersson made a terrible mistake in the last minute of the half, which should have been punished by the home side.

Boyd takes the plaudits after his second goal
Boyd takes the plaudits after his second goal
The keeper kicked a back-pass straight to Boyd but, instead of firing into the empty net, from a tight angle, he tried to pick out Dargo who blasted the ball into the side-netting.

Andersson did rather better when he saved Danny Invincibile's shot with his legs as the Kilmarnock man went clean through on goal.

The visitors started the second half much more urgently but the closest they came to scoring was when Garry O'Connor headed Kevin Nicol's cross over from nine yards.

Hibernian should have been in deep trouble in the 68th minute as Boyd crashed a header from Eric Skora's corner against the post.

Murray continued to look impressive and his attempted chip was deflected wide in the 75th minute.

Hibs went close a minute later when Derek Riordan found himself in plenty of room in the box and unleashed a powerful drive that Meldrum did well to push away.

A bad week for Hibernian was compounded in the 85th minute when Boyd latched onto Invincibile's through ball and kept his head and balance to fire past Andersson.

Kilmarnock: Meldrum, Fowler, Greer, Dindeleux, Hay, Invincibile, Dodds, Skora, Murray, Boyd, Dargo.

Subs: Smith, McSwegan, McDonald, Nish, Canning.

Hibernian: Andersson, Whittaker, Caldwell, Murdock, Edge, Scott Brown, Nicol, Thomson, Reid, McManus, Riordan.

Subs: Alistair Brown, O'Connor, Fletcher, Kane, Notman.

Referee: C Murray

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport