BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Sunday, 14 March, 2004, 15:22 GMT
Celtic 1-1 Motherwell
Momo Sylla congratulates goalscorer Henrik Larsson
Henrik Larsson (right) came on the score the equaliser
Henrik Larsson came off the bench to rescue a point for a radically-changed Celtic line-up against Motherwell.

Celtic's run of 25 straight league wins came to an end after boss Martin O'Neill rested six players from the side that defeated Barcelona.

Derek Adams fired home from the edge of the box to give Well a first-half lead.

But Larsson swept home the equaliser after an excellent move opened up the visiting defence to restore the 16-point gap with Rangers.

Only five players retained their place following Celtic's midweek Uefa Cup victory.

Rangers' draw against Hearts had given O'Neill even more breathing space in the title race and allowed him to rest some of his injury-hit first-choice line-up.

David Marshall was given a start in preparation for his likely lead role in the Nou Camp following the red card shown to number one goalkeeper Rab Douglas.

Fellow youngsters John Kennedy, Jamie Smith and Ross Wallace also came in along with veteran Paul Lambert and Momo Sylla.

Motherwell were unchanged and should have snatched a surprise early lead, but Marshall did superbly to push a fierce Alex Burns volley around the post.

But Celtic's new formation dominated early possession, Stephen Pearson headed over from just seven yards and former Celtic goalkeeper Gordon Marshall saved Sylla's drive.

Bobo Balde headed just wide of his own post and David Clarkson fired just over the bar at the other end.

The elder Marshall somehow managed to divert a powerful Beattie header over the Motherwell bar, but it was the visitors who took the lead.

Keith Lasley pulled the ball back from the byline and Adams drove a right-foot shot past the hand of Marshall and into the corner of the net from just outside the area.

Marshall came to Celtic's rescue when he saved at Clarkson's feet after a loose Wallace back-pass.

Motherwell celebrate Derek Adams' opening goal
Derek Adams gave Motherwell the lead
Sylla should have equalised but headed Wallace's cross straight at the Well goalkeeper.

Lambert crashed a volley against the foot of the post shortly after the break and Smith drilled a low drive just wide.

Motherwell wasted a chance to go two ahead when Marshall kicked the ball straight at Burns, but the striker returned the ball into the keeper's arms.

Well's Marshall pulled off a brilliant save from a Sylla drive and turned a Pearson snapshot round the post.

But Larsson, who had been introduced just 12 minutes into the second half, took only another 13 to equalise, forcing Wallace's cross over the line at the near post.

Referee Tom Brown waved away appeals for a penalty after Adams appeared to fell Sylla.

Pearson clipped the crossbar with a long-range effort, but Motherwell held on for a draw.

Celtic: Marshall, Kennedy, Balde, Varga, Smith, Petrov, Lambert, Pearson, Wallace, Beattie, Sylla.
Subs: Douglas, McNamara, Larsson, Agathe, McManus.

Motherwell: Marshall, Quinn, Corrigan, Craigan, Hammell, Adams, Lasley, Fagan, Scott McDonald, Burns, Clarkson.
Subs: Corr, Dair, Kinniburgh, Wright, Fitzpatrick.

Referee: T Brown

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport