BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 20 December, 2003, 17:01 GMT
Dons and Dundee end all square
Russell Anderson celebrates his goal
Russell Anderson opened the scoring at Pittodrie
Aberdeen 2-2 Dundee

Dundee preserved their 10-year unbeaten run in Aberdeen with an entertaining draw at Pittodrie.

Dons skipper Russell Anderson headed in the first goal after 43 minutes but Tom Hutchison levelled before the half time interval.

Dundee top-scorer Nacho Novo put the visitors in front with a close range effort early in the second half.

But a Leigh Hinds shot that took a deflection off Lee Wilkie levelled the game on the hour.

Both sides struggled to cope with the wet conditions in the early stages, with players finding it hard to judge the weight of their passes on the heavily waterlogged surface.

Dundee did create an early chance when Novo raced onto a Brent Sancho pass but none of his team-mates could connect with his dangerous cut-back across the six yard box.

The Dons created their first chance on the quarter-hour, but young Richard Foster could only shoot straight at Dundee goalkeeper Julian Speroni from 16 yards following some good play by Chris Clark.

Aberdeen almost opened the scoring with an Anderson diving header - but Speroni made an excellent reflex save at the near post.

Speroni's save did not clear the danger as the ball spun high in the air and came off the far post before Scott Morrison blazed the ball well over.

Dundee striker Novo outpaced Anderson to race into the penalty area and unleash a shot which Dons keeper David Preece did well to push around his post.

Aberdeen opened the scoring with three minutes of the first half remaining when Morrison sent a free-kick into the box from the right and Anderson found room to bullet a header past Speroni for his third goal in two games.

Nacho Novo in action at Pittodrie
Nacho Novo scored his 16th goal of the season
However, their lead was short-lived as Dundee hit back three minutes later from another long free-kick.

Kevin Rutkiewicz misjudged the ball as it came into the penalty box, allowing Hutchinson to sneak in and send a low shot past Preece.

Dundee took the lead early in the second half, with top scorer Novo grabbing his 16th goal of the season.

Again, the goal came from a long free-kick - this time from Garry Brady, and the ball simply bounced once in the area before Novo prodded it into the top corner from close range.

Aberdeen equalised six minutes later, with Scotland defender Wilkie sending the ball past his own goalkeeper.

The tall defender has been prone to mistakes in the past, but had little chance on this occasion as Hinds' shot from 10 yards out slid wildly off the turf and off his leg before resting in the net.

Speroni came to Dundee's rescue with seven minutes remaining, using his feet to clear a Steve Tosh shot.

Aberdeen: Preece, Rutkiewicz, Anderson, Diamond (Sheerin 44), Morrison, Tosh, Heikkinen, Clark, Hinds (Zdrilic 75), Booth, Foster (Mackie 67). Subs Not Used: Esson, Muirhead.

Dundee: Speroni, Hutchinson, Wilkie, Mair (Linn 73), Mackay, Brady, Sancho, Smith, Hernandez Santos, Fotheringham, Novo. Subs Not Used: McCafferty, Douglas, McDonald, McLean.

Attendance: 10,354
Referee: M McCurry

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport