BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Sunday, 17 August, 2003, 15:50 GMT 16:50 UK
Wilkie gifts Pars victory
Lee Wilkie cannot believe his luck as he scores an own goal
Lee Wilkie's woes have not ended with the start of the new season
Dundee 0-2 Dunfermline Athletic

Calamity kid Lee Wilkie added to his tally of own goals as Dunfermline Athletic left Dens Park with three points they hardly deserved.

The young Scotland defender ended last season with a couple of nightmare performances and missed the Scottish Cup final through suspension.

And, although he had a goalscoring performance in last weekend's opening win over Motherwell, his woes returned as he put the ball past his own goalkeeper on the stroke of half-time against Dunfermline.

Pars boss Jimmy Calderwood had abandoned his usual attacking policy, but Scotland striker Stevie Crawford pounced with a couple of minutes remaining to make sure his side still stole the points.

Dundee boss Jim Duffy had been forced to make one change from the side that won 2-0 in the Uefa Cup qualifying round match in Albania on Thursday.

Defender Dave MacKay dropped out through illness and was replaced by summer signing Brent Sancho, the Trinidad and Tobago international making his first start for the club.

Dunfermline also made one change following their 0-0 draw with Celtic, recent signing Darren Young dropping out through injury and being replaced with Lee Bullen.

Dundee had most of the play and should have taken the lead after 17 minutes.

Nacho Novo broke clear, but he delayed his shot and instead played the ball into the path of strike partner Steve Lovell, whose side-footed attempt from the edge of the box nicked the outside of the post.

Stevie Crawford and Jason Dair celebrate Dunfermline's second goal
Stevie Crawford grabbed a goal with a couple of minutes remaining
Sancho came close to opening the scoring when he played a one-two inside the box with Novo, who back-heeled the ball into the defender's path only to see the curling shot from six yards being turned wide of the far post by goalkeeper Derek Stillie.

Novo missed a great opportunity shortly before the break, collecting a deflected ball on his chest at the back post but leaving his low drive from eight yards jammed under Stillie.

But Dunfermline took the lead against the run of play on the stroke of half-time, Wilkie driving the ball past his own goalkeeper as he attempted to clear an innocuous cross from Scott Wilson.

Livewire Novo sent a low drive across the face of the Dunfermline goal as Dundee attempted to restore parity early in the second half.

Stillie was on hand to turn wide another low effort from Lovell and then blocked well as substitute Fabian Caballero broke clear inside the box.

Dundee pushed forward in search of an equaliser but were caught on the break two minutes before the final whistle when substitute Gary Dempsey set up Crawford to slip the ball home from 12 yards.

Dundee: Speroni, Mair, Wilkie, Sancho (Caballero 66), Hernandez Santos, Smith, Nemsadze, Rae, Brady, Novo (Carranza 77), Lovell.
Subs Not Used: Langfield, Hutchinson, Jablonski.

Booked: Nemsadze.

Dunfermline: Stillie, Scott Wilson, Skerla, Tod, Bullen, Nicholson, Mason, Derek Young (Mehmet 87), McGroarty (Dair 45), Crawford, Brewster (Dempsey 55).
Subs Not Used: Ruitenbeek, Labonte.

Booked: Crawford.

Goals: Wilkie 45 og, Crawford 88.

Attendance: 7,750

Referee: C Richmond

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport