Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Sunday, 11 May, 2003, 15:50 GMT 16:50 UK
Rangers return to top
Michael Mols struck for Rangers in the fifth minute
Rangers 4-0 Kilmarnock

Rangers moved back to the top of the Premier League after a convincing win over Kilmarnock at Ibrox.

Alex McLeish's side are level on points with Celtic but have a superior goal difference thanks to an early Michael Mols brace and scores from Shota Arveladze and Claudio Caniggia.

Barry Ferguson and Mikel Arteta pulled the strings in midfield to great effect and Mols was razor sharp in attack.

Kilmarnock were simply blown away by the ceaseless waves of attacks from the home team and the margin of victory could have been far greater but for some errant finishing.

Rangers were almost gifted an opener just 15 seconds from kick off when a slip from Greg Shields allowed Peter Lovenkrands' cross to find Ronald de Boer on the left edge of the six yard box, but the Dutch international lashed his shot over the crossbar.

5 mins: Mols shoots Rangers in front
6 mins: Mols grabs his second with a cool lob
59 mins: Arveladze crashes home a great strike
80 mins: Caniggia rounds off the scoring after a fine run
However, the home fans did not have to wait long for the opener.

A neat 5th minute pass from Arteta opened up the Killie defence and Mols arrowed a low angled drive into the net via the base of the post.

And the striker doubled his tally within a minute with a first time chip from 25 yards when visiting goalkeeper Gordon Marshall punched the ball into his path after beating de Boer to a long through ball.

Rangers were rampant and Arteta and de Boer both found themselves free of a ragged Killie defence but were denied by Marshall, while a Ferguson shot flashed wide.

The Rangers skipper found his range with a similar effort on the half hour but Marshall was well positioned to deal with the fierce strike.

Three minutes from half time Arteta's a low free kick from the left flank missed everyone in a crowded penalty box and cannoned off Marshall's right-hand post.

Ferguson then carved out two great opportunities with some nifty footwork but shot narrowly wide on both occasions.

The second period was four minutes old when Mols diverted a cross from substitute Arveladze just wide of the target.

Mols then got in the way of an Arteta rocket before Fernando Ricksen's follow up was deflected over the bar and Amoruso and Arveladze both passed up good chances as the porous Killie defence continued to leak.

The visitors created their first chance of the afternoon after 58 minutes when Paul Di Giacomo hit the side netting after a fine solo run.

But a minute later Rangers extended their advantage when Arveladze curled a screamer into the top corner of the net from 25 yards.

Mols then passed up two more chances for his hat-trick, with Marshall first saving with his feet then doing well to block at the striker's feet.

Stephen Hughes was next to try his luck and the youngster's 20 yard effort shaved the woodwork on its way over.

Caniggia came off the bench for the final ten minutes and immediately broke clear of a tired defence to round Marshall and score.

Rangers: Klos, Ricksen, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Arteta, Ferguson, Hughes, de Boer (McCann 87), Mols (Caniggia 76), Lovenkrands (Arveladze 45).
Subs Not Used: McGregor, Malcolm.

Kilmarnock: Marshall, Shields, McLaughlin, Dindeleux, Fowler, Canero, Fulton (McDonald 71), Mahood, Di Giacomo, McLaren (Boyd 45), McSwegan (Locke 45).
Subs Not Used: Stewart, Hay.

Attendance: 49,036
Referee: A Freeland



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport