BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Tuesday, 10 September, 2002, 20:40 GMT 21:40 UK
Motherwell end Celtic run
James McFadden (right) celebrates after scoring from the spot
McFadden (right) scored one goal and made one
Motherwell 2-1 Celtic

Scotland Under-21 winger James McFadden was the inspiration as Motherwell inflicted Celtic's first league defeat since December.

McFadden helped set up the opening goal, which was scored by substitute Shaun Fagan with 13 minutes remaining.

And, two minutes later, he made sure his side caused the biggest surprise of the Scottish domestic season so far by winning then scoring a penalty kick.

Celtic pulled one back through John Hartson with three minutes remaining, but it was Terry Butcher's side who held on for a famous victory and end Celtic's 24-match unbeaten league run.

Shaun Fagan (left) celebrates after opening the scoring
Shaun Fagan (left) opened the scoring
The visitors had to do without injured Swedish international defender Johan Mjallby as manager Martin O'Neill made three changes against the side who started the season among the favourites for relegation.

Alan Thompson made his first start of the season following his own injury problems and was joined in midfield by Paul Lambert.

Jackie McNamara and David Fernandez were the men to drop out, while Rab Douglas took over from Magnus Hedman in goal.

Motherwell gave German defender Daniel Sengewald his first start, with Dougie Ramsay dropping to the bench.

And they made a whirlwind start as they showed their determination to give the Scottish champions no time on the ball.

But it was Celtic who had the first clear-cut chance, when Lambert lobbed the ball over the home defence.

Sengewald misjudged the flight of the ball, Henrik Larsson broke clear, but the normally deadly Swede tamely chipped the ball into the arms of goalkeeper Steve Woods.

Celtic started to find more space - and more possession - but it was Motherwell who were next to threaten.

A Stephen Pearson lob nestled on top of the net then Douglas scrambled away a low, driven cross from McFadden.

Larsson came close to opening the scoring when Steve Guppy sold Martyn Corrigan a dummy and his low cross struck the Swede on the knee before bouncing just wide.

The Celtic striker latched on to a flick from striking partner Chris Sutton in injury time but somehow fired into the side netting with only the keeper to beat.

Henrik Larsson lobs the ball tamely into Steve Woods' arms
Henrik Larsson missed several chances
Motherwell suffered a blow early after the break when Pearson failed to run off a dead leg and Ramsay came on in his place.

The home side remained enthusiastic, but Celtic were now commandeering the bulk of possession and applied much pressure after sending on two more strikers, Shaun Maloney and Hartson.

Yet it was Motherwell who took the lead after 77 minutes when a pass on the turn from McFadden left three Celtic defenders foundering.

Steve Hammill delivered a cross into the box that was met clinically by the head of the diving Fagan.

McFadden then broke clear and beat Ulrik Laursen for pace before having his heels clipped by the Dane in the box.

The man who missed the Scotland flight home from the Far East this time made no mistake from the spot.

Hartson latched on to a Larsson flick to drive the ball home and give Celtic some hope of snatching a draw, but it was Motherwell who were celebrating at the final whistle.

Motherwell: Woods, Corrigan, Partridge, Sengewald, Pearson, Lasley, Leitch, Adams, Hammell, McFadden, Lehmann. Subs: Ramsey, Dubourdeau, Ferguson, Fagan, Russell.

Celtic: Douglas, Valgaeren, Balde, Laursen, Agathe, Lambert, Petrov, Thompson, Guppy, Larsson, Sutton. Subs: McNamara, Hartson, Hedman, Maloney, Crainey.

Referee: W Young.

BBC Five Live's Roddy Forsyth
"Motherwell shocked champions Celtic"
Motherwell boss Terry Butcher
"In the end it was like the Alamo"
Celtic boss Martin O'Neill
"It wasn't our night"
The SPL season gets under way

Weekend games


See also:

10 Sep 02 | Scot Prem
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales