Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Friday, 12 April, 2002, 14:44 GMT 15:44 UK
Celtic end Dunfermline dream
Paul Lambert scores Celtic's second goal
Paul Lambert scored Celtic's second goal
Celtic 5-0 Dunfermline Athletic

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Celtic virtually killed off Dunfermline Athletic's hopes of a Uefa Cup place with a five-goal display minus top scorer Henrik Larsson.

The Swede was out through illness, while former strike partner Chris Sutton was still injured.

But John Hartson continued his good form with a double.

And Paul Lambert, Jamie Smith and Momo Sylla also got on the scoresheet in a one-sided win for the newly-crowned back-to-back champions at Celtic Park.

Now only Rangers stand between Martin O'Neill's men winning every home game in a season for the first time in the club's 114-year history.

Momo Sylla is chased by Dunfermline's Andre Karnebeek
Momo Sylla (left) was on the scoresheet
Celtic also need just one more point to match their tally of 97 from last season.

Sylla was given a rare start, as was recalled club captain Tom Boyd, who needed four more appearances to claim an SPL championship-winning medal.

Dunfermline were out to end their terrible form against the Old Firm in their search for a Uefa Cup spot.

Jimmy Calderwood made two changes, Justin Skinner and Gus Macpherson being replaced by David Nicholls and Andre Karnebeek, who was making his first start for the club.

Dunfermline threatened early, but Stephen Crainey was on hand to prevent Stevie Crawford latching on to a Jason Dair cross.

Celtic's first chance arrived after 12 minutes, Hartson snatched at his shot on the edge of the six-yard box and blazed high and wide.

Marco Ruitenbeek did well to block the Welshman's snap shot moments later.

Hartson eventually broke the deadlock after 18 minutes after a throw-in was wrongly awarded to the home side.

Steve Guppy capitalised, sent in a cross and Hartson headed home after pulling away from his marker.

The champions extended their lead after 39 minutes, Lambert providing the finish after Ruitenbeek pushed out Crainey's left-foot strike.

Smith's arrival as a substitute had the desired effect in the 58th minute when he fired home Celtic's third, his right-footed shot clipping Thomson before nestling in the bottom corner.

Nicholls sent a volley whistling just past the Celtic upright.

But the impressive Hartson grabbed a richly-deserved second in the 70th minute with a clinical shot into the bottom corner.

Sylla got in on the act to convert Guppy's cross home at the far post.

Celtic: Douglas, Mjallby (Wieghorst 59), Boyd, Crainey, Agathe (Petta 54), Lambert, Lennon (Smith 45), Petrov, Guppy, Hartson, Sylla. Subs Not Used: Gould, McNamara.

Goals: Hartson 18, Lambert 40, Smith 58, Hartson 70, Sylla 76.

Dunfermline: Ruitenbeek, Karnebeek (McGarty 74), Bullen, Skerla, Dair, Nicholson, Mason, Nicholls (Petrie 64), Scott Thomson, Crawford, N'Diaye (Skinner 46). Subs Not Used: Scott Y Thomson, Kilgannon.

Booked: Nicholls, Dair.

Attendance: 57,016

Referee: J Underhill.

BBC Scotland's Alastair Alexander
"Another great performance from the Champions"
Celtic manager Martin O'Neill
"The players played very, very well indeed"
Dunfermline manager Jimmy Calderwood
"I didn't see a lot of passion after the 1st goal"
Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top