Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 23 March, 2002, 16:50 GMT
Ten-man Dons hold Livi
Darren Young is shown the red card in the first half
Darren Young is shown the red card in the first half
Livingston 0-0 Aberdeen

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Aberdeen preserved their two-point lead over Livingston in the race for third place in the SPL with a hard-fought draw at Almondvale.

In a niggly match, Aberdeen had Darren Young sent off just after the half-hour mark for his second bookable offence.

But Livi were unable to capitalise on their one-man advantage and Aberdeen went home content with the point.

The first chance of the game fell to Livingston after just four minutes when Francisco Quino's cross was met by Barry Wilson - but his header was held by Dons goalkeeper Peter Kjaer.

Livi had the chance to take the lead when they were handed a free-kick after 18 minutes. Xausa stepped up for the set-piece but bulleted the 30-yard shot just wide.

Darren Young shields the ball from Davide Xausa
Darren Young shields the ball
After 24 minutes Mackie broke free down the right flank before crossing to Robbie Winters in the area. He tried to chip goalkeeper Javier Sanchez Broto but sent the ball well over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Winters had another shot blocked and Darren Young hit the rebound inches wide of the upright.

Aberdeen received a blow when Darren Young was sent off after 33 minutes.

His earlier caution for a challenge on Fernandez proved costly when he picked up a second yellow card for another foul on the Spanish striker.

Fernandez almost opened the scoring four minutes later but his 18-yard shot curled just over the crossbar.

Seconds later, Mackie could have handed Aberdeen the advantage with a close-range effort but the Dons player found the angle just too tight and sent the ball harmlessly wide.

Stuart Lovell holds off Leon Mike
Stuart Lovell holds off Leon Mike
The home side enjoyed the first chance of the second half, an impressive shot that Kjaer managed to save impressively.

The Dons should have taken the lead when the ball broke to Leon Mike just outside the six-yard box, but Broto managed to block the shot with his arm.

The best chance of the game so far fell to Livingston after 73 minutes when Cherif touched the ball on to Fernandez and he unleashed a powerful shot which smacked off the crossbar to deny the home side the opener.

Livingston were unlucky to have a penalty claim ignored four minutes later.

Fernandez played a corner kick out to Oscar Rubio on the 18-yard line - his shot was blocked but Didier Santini tried to follow up inside the six-yard box.

He appeared to be brought down by the Aberdeen goalkeeper but the referee opted not to give the spot-kick.

Livingston: Broto, Petersen, Santini, Rubio, Andrews, Wilson, Makel (Bingham 45), Quino, Lovell (Toure-Maman 69), Fernandez, Xausa (Caputo 78).

Subs not used: McEwan, Tosh.

Booked: Makel, Rubio, Quino.

Aberdeen: Kjaer, Anderson, Whyte, McGuire, McNaughton, Winters (Tiernan 70), Darren Young, Bisconti, Derek Young, Mackie, Mike (Dadi 86).

Subs not used: Esson, Thornley, Rutkiewicz.

Sent Off: Darren Young (35).

Booked: Darren Young, Anderson.

Att: 9,449

Ref: K Clark

BBC Scotland's David Begg
"The Dons did deserve to hang on"
Aberdeen's Kevin McNaughton
"We've got to be pleased with the result"
Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top