Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Friday, 8 February, 2002, 13:22 GMT
Ferrere is Well hero
David Ferrere (left) made a stunning debut for Motherwell
Motherwell 4-0 Hibernian

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Motherwell new signing David Ferrere made a memorable debut for the Fir Park side when he grabbed a second half hat-trick to help sink hapless Hibs.

Dirk Lehmann grabbed the home side's other goal as the visitors from Edinburgh were demolished.

A dour first half saw few chances but the second 45 minutes saw the home side run riot with substitute Ferrere and Stuart Elliott at the heart of everything.

Hibs have now gone 17 SPL games without a win.

Hibernian manager Franck Sauzee made three changes to the side that lost to Ayr United in the CIS Cup semi final on Wednesday.

Both David Zitelli and Garry O'Connor dropped to the bench and Ulises de la Cruz missed out with a twisted ankle. They were replaced by Craig Brewster, Derek Riordan and Derek Townsley.

Motherwell also made changes to the side who lost to Livingston in the league last week.

Star striker James McFadden missed out through suspension, Yan Soloy failed to recover from a calf strain in time and Stephen Pearson failed to make the starting line-up.

Lehmann was on target for Hibs
Dirk Lehmann turns away from Gary Smith
That gave Martyn Corrigan, Derek Adams and Keith Lasley the chance to start.

After an uneventful opening the home side could have opened the scoring after 17 minutes when Elliott's free kick from the edge of the penalty area brought out a superb save from Hibernian goalkeeper Nick Colgan.

The Irishman was threatening again for Motherwell four minutes later from almost the same spot but he curled the free-kick just over the crossbar.

Hibs' first chance came after 35 minutes when Brewster unleashed a 25-yard drive which was easily held by goalkeeper Stephen Woods.

the visitors had a scare five minutes later when Paul Fenwick almost fired the ball into his own net as he attempted to clear.

The Easter Road side's best chance came on the stroke of half-time when Fenwick played the ball to Grant Brebner and he bulleted a shot at goal only for Woods to just touch the effort over the crossbar.

Just a minute into the second period, Motherwell's Greg Strong unleashed a long, low effort that slid just inches past the post.

And, four minutes later, new signing Ferrere, who had replaced Leitch at half-time, came close with a 30-yard free-kick.

The Frenchman was not to be denied, however, and after 52 minutes he rammed the ball into the bottom corner of the net, having been set up by Elliott.

Hibs tried to get back into the game and youngster Derek Riordan came close with a long-range effort, which looked to have beaten Woods, but fell just wide of the upright after 59 minutes.

Two minutes later, Hibs skipper John O'Neil had a chance to level the scoreline with a free-kick 20 yards out but again the ball flew just wide of the post.

However, just when the visitors looked like getting back into the match, Ferrere notched his second goal after 65 minutes with Elliott again the provider.

A 73rd minute Steven Hammell free-kick on the left flank was met by Lehmann and he heaped more misery on his former team when he headed past Colgan.

Motherwell could have added to that lead further when Hammell's pass was met by Corrigan but the defender volleyed wide from the 18-yard line.

Ferrere had only been given half a game to impress the home support but he grabbed the opportunity with both hands by claiming a hat-trick in his first outing.

This time, Lehmann turned provider and sent a neat pass to the Frenchman who netted his third goal from the six-yard line after 80 minutes leaving no way back for the dejected Easter Road side.

Motherwell: Woods, Corrigan, Hammell, Deloumeaux, Ready, Strong, Adams, Leitch (Ferrere 45), Lasley, Lehmann (Nicholas 89), Elliott.

Subs Not Used: Brown, Martinez, Ramsey.

Hibernian: Colgan, Smith, Murray, Fenwick, Caldwell, O'Neil, Townsley, Brebner, Wiss (O'Connor 62), Brewster, Riordan (Arpinon 78).

Subs Not Used: Andrews, Zitelli, Caig.

Booked: Smith, Colgan.

Attendance: 5,367

Referee: J Underhill

BBC Scotland's Paul Mitchell
"Motherwell are happy"
Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top