Rangers 4 - 0 Hibernian
Page last updated at 17:00 GMT, Saturday, 28 January 2012
Rangers beat Hibernian to reduce Celtic's lead at the top of the Scottish Premier League to one point.
Captain Steven Davis fired the hosts ahead midway through an often scrappy first half.
Davis's Northern Ireland team-mate Healy rolled home the second after a mix-up in the Hibs defence.
A second booking meant a red card for Hibs debutant James McPake and Sone Aluko converted the resulting free-kick before Davis netted his second late on.
With Celtic facing Falkirk in Sunday's Scottish Communities League Cup semi-final, the league leaders now have an SPL game in hand.
Hibs remain a point above the league's bottom side, Dunfermline, who lost at Aberdeen.
Aluko, deployed in a striking role in the absence of the ill Nikica Jelavic, fired in a shot that looked bound for the Hibs goal until Healy inadvertently blocked the effort out for a corner.
At the other end, Eoin Doyle had an attempt deflected over and debutant Tom Soares should have tested goalkeeper Allan McGregor with a shot that went wide.
Aluko set up Maurice Edu for a shot that the American midfielder fizzed narrowly wide.
It was from a Hibs attack that Rangers opened the scoring, the defence scrambling the ball clear after David Wotherspoon had threatened and quickly moving the ball upfield.
Davis ran on to Aluko's pass and slotted past keeper Mark Brown.
Edu was unable to make a clean connection on Sasa Papac's teasing cross as Rangers continued to press.
Doyle was inches away from connecting David Wotherspoon's centre as Hibs tried to force an equaliser before the break.
Soares did not connect when Sproule sent another in another teasing delivery early in the second half.
But Hibs then gifted Rangers their second. O'Hanlon's backwards header left Brown stranded off his line and the keeper's header rebounded off McPake into the path of Healy, who took a touch before firing into the unguarded net.
Aluko beat three Hibs players as he worked his way into the box but his eventual shot was wayward.
Edu came close again when his shot was deflected onto the post moments after McPake had survived claims of handball in the penalty area.
McGregor raced off his line to deny Sproule before Mervan Celik made his Rangers debut as a replacement for Gregg Wylde.
McPake, who had earlier been booked for a foul on Aluko, was dismissed on 71 minutes after his block on Edu was punished with a second caution.
From the resulting free-kick, Aluko curled a superb effort home from 25 yards.
The former Aberdeen player then almost claimed his second of the match with a shot wide of Brown's goal.
Wotherspoon flashed an effort past the post as Hibs pressed for a consolation.
But Davis was to have the final say in injury time, controlling the ball well from Carlos Bocanegra's pass and striking past Brown.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 28 January 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 McGregor
- 02 Goian yellow card
- 05 Papac
- 12 Wallace
- 18 Bocanegra
- 22 Bartley
- 07 Edu (McCulloch 74)
- 08 Davis
- 19 Aluko
- 27 Wylde (Celik 65)
- 15 Healy (Kerkar 78)
- 25 Alexander,
- 06 McCulloch,
- 17 Ortiz,
- 24 Celik,
- 41 McCabe,
- 28 Kerkar,
- 34 Little
- 31 Brown
- 04 Hanlon
- 05 O'Hanlon (Scott 62 yellow card)
- 15 McPake two yellow cards, red card
- 22 Francomb
- 07 Wotherspoon
- 13 Soares (Stanton 88)
- 16 Stevenson
- 17 Sproule
- 24 Osbourne
- 10 Doyle (Stephens 74)
- 01 Stack,
- 03 Booth,
- 20 Stephens,
- 25 Towell,
- 14 Scott,
- 33 Stanton,
- 29 Caldwell
- Rangers 59%
- Hibernian 41%
Attempts on target
- Rangers 8
- Hibernian 5
Attempts off target
- Rangers 11
- Hibernian 4
- Rangers 2
- Hibernian 1
- Rangers 9
- Hibernian 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:44 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:46 The assist for the goal came from Lee Wallace.
- 90:00+2:46 GOAL - Steven Davis:Rangers 4 - 0 Hibernian Steven Davis scores a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Rangers 4-0 Hibernian.
- 90:00+1:17 Martin Scott gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sasa Papac. Steven Davis restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:14 The referee blows for offside. Lewis Stevenson restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:57 David Wotherspoon produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the target.
- 87:02 Substitution Tom Soares leaves the field to be replaced by Sam Stanton.
- 86:47 Long range shot by Lee McCulloch goes wide right of the goal.
- 84:01 Mervan Celik produces a cross.
- 82:49 Effort on goal by Sasa Papac from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 80:28 David Wotherspoon produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 79:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Lee McCulloch on Isaiah Osbourne. Free kick taken by Tom Soares.
- 79:24 Lee Wallace delivers the ball, Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Salim Kerkar goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 78:35 The ball is delivered by Sasa Papac, clearance by Paul Hanlon.
- 78:13 Corner taken left-footed by Sone Aluko from the right by-line to the near post, Isaiah Osbourne makes a clearance.
- 77:44 Substitution Salim Kerkar joins the action as a substitute, replacing David Healy.
- 77:37 A cross is delivered by David Healy, clearance made by Isaiah Osbourne.
- 76:50 The offside flag is raised against Ivan Sproule. Kyle Bartley takes the indirect free kick.
- 74:25 Shot from just outside the penalty box by Sone Aluko misses to the left of the target.
- 72:57 Free kick crossed right-footed by George Francomb, Dorin Goian makes a clearance.
- 72:57 Substitution David Stephens replaces Eoin Doyle.
- 72:57 Substitution Lee McCulloch replaces Maurice Edu.
- 72:57 Unfair challenge on Martin Scott by David Healy results in a free kick.
- 71:44 GOAL - Sone Aluko:Rangers 3 - 0 Hibernian Sone Aluko grabs a fantastic goal direct from the free kick from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Rangers 3-0 Hibernian.
- 70:41 Sent off James McPake dismissed for second bookable offence.
- 70:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by James McPake on Maurice Edu.
- 69:44 Free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 69:44 Booking Martin Scott is given a yellow card.
- 69:39 Martin Scott challenges Kyle Bartley unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 67:58 Ivan Sproule has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 67:03 George Francomb sends in a cross.
- 66:31 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Mark Brown.
- 65:47 Sone Aluko gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lewis Stevenson. Mark Brown takes the free kick.
- 65:38 Sone Aluko produces a cross, Lewis Stevenson gets a block in.
- 64:28 Substitution Gregg Wylde goes off and Mervan Celik comes on.
- 64:22 Centre by Gregg Wylde, clearance by Paul Hanlon.
- 61:50 Substitution Martin Scott replaces Sean O'Hanlon.
- 61:22 The official flags David Healy offside. Mark Brown takes the free kick.
- 61:05 Maurice Edu takes a shot from just outside the area and strikes the post.
- 60:48 The ball is delivered by Lee Wallace, David Healy takes a shot. Blocked by James McPake.
- 59:19 David Wotherspoon challenges Sasa Papac unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Steven Davis, save made by Mark Brown.
- 58:45 Sone Aluko takes a shot.
- 57:25 The ball is sent over by Kyle Bartley.
- 54:46 Assist by Sasa Papac.
- 54:46 GOAL - David Healy:Rangers 2 - 0 Hibernian David Healy scores a goal from just inside the area low into the middle of the goal. Rangers 2-0 Hibernian.
- 54:34 A cross is delivered by Tom Soares, Carlos Bocanegra makes a clearance.
- 54:07 The ball is swung over by Ivan Sproule.
- 51:46 David Wotherspoon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Healy. Sone Aluko crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left channel, Paul Hanlon manages to make a clearance.
- 50:26 The ball is crossed by James McPake.
- 47:30 David Healy is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Mark Brown.
- 46:50 The assistant referee flags for offside against Sone Aluko. Indirect free kick taken by Mark Brown.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:05 The first half comes to an end.
- 43:39 Gregg Wylde crosses the ball, Lewis Stevenson manages to make a clearance.
- 42:00 James McPake gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Healy. Gregg Wylde produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 39:21 Gregg Wylde takes a shot. Blocked by Paul Hanlon.
- 39:06 Centre by David Wotherspoon, Gregg Wylde makes a clearance.
- 38:44 David Wotherspoon takes a shot. Carlos Bocanegra gets a block in.
- 38:04 A cross is delivered by David Wotherspoon.
- 37:13 Effort from range distance by Dorin Goian goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 35:47 George Francomb crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 35:47 Booking Dorin Goian booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 35:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Eoin Doyle by Dorin Goian.
- 34:21 Ivan Sproule takes a shot. Comfortable save by Allan McGregor.
- 34:13 George Francomb crosses the ball, clearance made by Dorin Goian.
- 33:12 Sone Aluko takes a shot. Save by Mark Brown.
- 31:29 Unfair challenge on Maurice Edu by David Wotherspoon results in a free kick. Steven Davis takes the free kick.
- 30:47 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Maurice Edu misses to the left of the target.
- 30:40 The ball is swung over by Sasa Papac, clearance made by Paul Hanlon.
- 29:38 Steven Davis concedes a free kick for a foul on David Wotherspoon. George Francomb takes the free kick.
- 26:33 Sone Aluko provided the assist for the goal.
- 26:33 GOAL - Steven Davis:Rangers 1 - 0 Hibernian Steven Davis fires in a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Rangers 1-0 Hibernian.
- 26:21 A cross is delivered by Ivan Sproule.
- 24:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Isaiah Osbourne by Carlos Bocanegra. Sean O'Hanlon takes the direct free kick.
- 23:59 Foul by David Healy on Ivan Sproule, free kick awarded. Paul Hanlon takes the free kick.
- 22:47 David Healy is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Mark Brown.
- 22:15 Unfair challenge on Sone Aluko by Sean O'Hanlon results in a free kick. Sasa Papac restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:22 Maurice Edu has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 19:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dorin Goian by Eoin Doyle. Dorin Goian restarts play with the free kick.
- 19:05 Ivan Sproule takes a shot. Blocked by Kyle Bartley.
- 17:57 Eoin Doyle is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Allan McGregor takes the indirect free kick.
- 15:04 Sone Aluko produces a cross, blocked by George Francomb.
- 13:12 Tom Soares takes a shot.
- 12:51 The ball is delivered by George Francomb, Gregg Wylde gets a block in.
- 12:31 Corner taken by George Francomb from the right by-line.
- 12:20 Eoin Doyle takes a shot. Blocked by Kyle Bartley.
- 10:52 The referee blows for offside against Steven Davis. Free kick taken by Mark Brown.
- 8:53 Unfair challenge on Isaiah Osbourne by Maurice Edu results in a free kick. George Francomb crosses the ball in from the free kick, Carlos Bocanegra manages to make a clearance.
- 7:52 The official flags Lee Wallace offside. Free kick taken by Sean O'Hanlon.
- 7:30 Ivan Sproule takes a shot. Blocked by Kyle Bartley.
- 6:09 Sone Aluko shoots direct from the free kick.
- 6:09 Booking Caution for James McPake.
- 6:04 Free kick awarded for a foul by James McPake on Sone Aluko.
- 4:41 Sone Aluko takes a shot. Blocked by David Healy.
- 4:35 A cross is delivered by Gregg Wylde.
- 4:08 Corner taken by Gregg Wylde from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Sean O'Hanlon.
- 1:15 Isaiah Osbourne fouled by Maurice Edu, the ref awards a free kick. George Francomb crosses the ball in from the free kick, save made by Allan McGregor.
- 0:12 The assistant referee signals for offside against David Healy. Mark Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier League results
Scottish Premier League table snapshot
28 January 12Sport
This story around the web
- Rangers thrash Hibs to reduce Celtic lead Emirates247 28 hrs ago External Link
- Four-star Gers crush Hibees Sky Sports 39 hrs ago External Link
- Rangers close gap on Celtic to one point Breaking News.ie 43 hrs ago External Link
- Rangers 4 Hibernian 0 Hibernian FC 43 hrs ago External Link
- Rangers 4-0 Hibernian RTE Online 46 hrs ago External Link