Motherwell 3 - 1 Dunfermline
Page last updated at 21:39 GMT, Tuesday, 24 January 2012
Motherwell climbed back into third in the Scottish Premier League as Henrik Ojamaa inspired their 10 men to victory over disappointing Dunfermline.
Stephen Craigan was sent off for violent conduct after 18 minutes.
But recent signing Ojamaa's low drive after 29 minutes and Nicky Law's 52nd-minute piledriver put Well in control.
Andy Kirk's volley 10 minutes later gave the Pars some hope, but Chris Humphrey slid in Well's third nine minutes from time.
Motherwell's first home league win since September puts them three points above Hearts and St Johnstone in the table.
And it brought back down to earth a Dunfermline side who had been hoping for their first back-to-back wins of the season to lift them two points above Hibernian at the foot of the table.
Pars boss Jim McIntyre had not surprisingly named an unchanged side having ended a run of 10 games without a victory by surprising Kilmarnock 3-0 at Rugby Park on Saturday.
Estonia striker Ojamaa was handed his first start for Motherwell after starring as a substitute and setting up their weekend equaliser against Dundee United, with Omar Daley the man to drop out.
And the recent signing was unlucky to be denied the opener when Steve Jennings sent him clear behind the Pars defence.
However, with striker Michael Higdon in an offside position, the flag went up to provide a lucky escape for the visitors.
With the two sides coming into the game on the back of promising results, it was surprising that it took 15 minutes to threaten either goal, but it sparked the game into life.
Dunfermline immediately had claims for a penalty rejected when Shaun Hutchinson's challenge sent Joe Cardle flying.
Craigan was dismissed after an angry off-the-ball reaction following an 18th-minute clash with Andrew Barrowman, the Pars striker himself being booked.
As Motherwell boss Stuart McCall sacrificed forward Jamie Murphy to strengthen his defence with Tim Clancy, Dunfermline almost immediately took advantage following a goalmouth scramble that was eventually cleared.
The Pars lost Barrowman to injury after 26 minutes, with Kirk his replacement, and suffered another blow two minutes later.
Ojamaa picked up the ball in midfield, shrugged off a couple of challenges and fired a low drive that bounced in front of Turner before clearing the Scotland squad goalkeeper's outstretched arms and nestling in the far corner of the net.
Andy Dowie had more claims for a penalty rejected when he was challenged by Darren Randolph during a series of corners and the goalkeeper saved on the rebound from Liam Buchanan, who also had a header blocked in front of goal.
The Pars ought to have been the ones to come out fired up after the break, but instead it was Well who deservedly went further in front after 52 minutes.
Ojamaa shielded the ball 20 yards from goal before rolling the ball into the path of Law and the English midfielder was given plenty of time to pick his spot and fire high past Turner.
The Pars were looking down and out until Paddy Boyle's low, curling cross was volleyed home by Kirk after 62 minutes.
Kirk fired wide from a similar position before Humphrey combined with fellow substitute Bob McHugh to pounce on some slack defending and side-foot home the clincher.
Motherwell manager Stuart McCall: "We talked before the game about how big an incentive Dunfermline had to win the game after their great result on Saturday, but we had a massive incentive too.
"We were constantly reminded of how long it had been since we last won at home, but we scored three good goals and the players kept their energy levels up very well - it's a happy but tired dressing-room.
"I haven't spoken to Stephen or seen the decision again. My full focus at half-time was on making sure the players on the park were ready to go back out there.
"I had a word with the referee as he came off the park. He said it wasn't a head-butt but he made the gesture of a head-butt. I will have to wait until I see it."
Dunfermline Athletic manager Jim McIntyre: "There's a reason that we are bottom of the league and that is our consistency levels.
"When Motherwell went down to 10 men, that was the perfect chance to go and grab the game by the scruff of the neck.
"But we didn't pass the ball well or play with enough tempo to force Motherwell into making mistakes.
"After you come off a result like the one we had on Saturday, and with the early sending-off, you hope that you can build on that, but we were unable to do that."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 24 January 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Craigan red card
- 06 Hateley
- 15 Hutchinson
- 04 Law (Humphrey 76)
- 08 Jennings
- 11 Murphy (Clancy 19 yellow card)
- 14 Lasley
- 09 Higdon yellow card
- 24 Ojamaa yellow card (McHugh 71)
- 31 Bradley,
- 22 Clancy,
- 07 Humphrey,
- 17 Daley,
- 26 Carswell,
- 16 McHugh,
- 18 Forbes
- 25 Turner
- 05 Rutkiewicz
- 06 Keddie
- 13 Boyle
- 15 Dowie
- 02 Kerr
- 04 Mason
- 07 Cardle (Willis 56)
- 11 Graham
- 09 Barrowman yellow card (Kirk 27)
- 19 Buchanan (Hardie 75)
- 20 Smith,
- 16 Potter,
- 08 Hardie,
- 22 Willis,
- 23 Thomson,
- 34 Byrne,
- 10 Kirk
- Motherwell 59%
- Dunfermline 41%
Attempts on target
- Motherwell 4
- Dunfermline 5
Attempts off target
- Motherwell 2
- Dunfermline 4
- Motherwell 3
- Dunfermline 6
- Motherwell 14
- Dunfermline 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:58 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+1:28 Foul by Martin Hardie on Tom Hateley, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 90:00+1:10 Keith Lasley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kevin Rutkiewicz. Kevin Rutkiewicz restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:45 Paul Willis is caught offside. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 84:44 Tom Hateley decides to take a short corner.
- 84:24 Andy Kirk concedes a free kick for a foul on Shaun Hutchinson. Darren Randolph takes the free kick.
- 83:23 Michael Higdon fouled by Andy Dowie, the ref awards a free kick. Steve Jennings restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:39 Short corner taken by Paul Willis.
- 79:39 Assist by Robert McHugh.
- 79:39 GOAL - Chris Humphrey:Motherwell 3 - 1 Dunfermline Chris Humphrey scores a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Motherwell 3-1 Dunfermline.
- 79:14 The official flags Martin Hardie offside. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 77:33 Effort from the edge of the box by Andy Kirk goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 75:04 Substitution Nicky Law leaves the field to be replaced by Chris Humphrey.
- 74:13 Kevin Rutkiewicz takes the direct free kick.
- 74:13 Substitution Liam Buchanan goes off and Martin Hardie comes on.
- 74:13 Booking Booking for Michael Higdon.
- 74:05 Michael Higdon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Kerr.
- 73:14 Paul Willis takes a shot. Darren Randolph makes a comfortable save.
- 70:38 Substitution Robert McHugh replaces Henrik Ojamaa.
- 68:39 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Paul Willis, clearance made by Steve Jennings.
- 68:24 David Graham fouled by Henrik Ojamaa, the ref awards a free kick. Mark Kerr restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:42 Nicky Law concedes a free kick for a foul on Mark Kerr. Kevin Rutkiewicz takes the free kick.
- 66:59 Unfair challenge on Tim Clancy by Andy Kirk results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 66:31 Shaun Hutchinson challenges Patrick Boyle unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Mark Kerr.
- 65:21 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley.
- 63:36 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Liam Buchanan from the right by-line, comfortable save by Darren Randolph.
- 61:56 Assist by Patrick Boyle.
- 61:56 GOAL - Andy Kirk:Motherwell 2 - 1 Dunfermline Andy Kirk gets on the score sheet with a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Motherwell 2-1 Dunfermline.
- 60:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Higdon on Kevin Rutkiewicz. Free kick taken by Kevin Rutkiewicz.
- 57:45 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley, Iain Turner makes a save.
- 56:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andy Kirk on Shaun Hutchinson. Darren Randolph takes the free kick.
- 55:37 Free kick taken by Iain Turner.
- 55:37 Substitution Paul Willis is brought on as a substitute for Joe Cardle.
- 55:37 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Patrick Boyle by Nicky Law.
- 52:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Liam Buchanan on Tim Clancy. Henrik Ojamaa restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:18 The assist for the goal came from Henrik Ojamaa.
- 51:18 GOAL - Nicky Law:Motherwell 2 - 0 Dunfermline Goal scored by Nicky Law from just inside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Motherwell 2-0 Dunfermline.
- 46:53 Steve Jennings produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the target.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:28 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+1:02 Henrik Ojamaa fouled by Kevin Rutkiewicz, the ref awards a free kick. Tim Clancy has a direct shot on goal from the free kick, comfortable save by Iain Turner.
- 45:00+0:26 Long range effort from Andy Dowie misses to the left of the goal.
- 44:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Henrik Ojamaa on Kevin Rutkiewicz. Kevin Rutkiewicz restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:43 Iain Turner restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:43 Booking Henrik Ojamaa is cautioned.
- 39:36 Henrik Ojamaa challenges Kevin Rutkiewicz unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 38:23 Liam Buchanan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tim Clancy. Direct free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 37:10 Foul by Kevin Rutkiewicz on Henrik Ojamaa, free kick awarded. Tim Clancy takes the free kick.
- 35:07 Nicky Law gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alex Keddie. Free kick taken by Iain Turner.
- 34:02 Nicky Law challenges Gary Mason unfairly and gives away a free kick. Joe Cardle produces a cross, Liam Buchanan takes a shot. Blocked by Tom Hateley.
- 33:29 Corner from the right by-line taken by Joe Cardle, Kevin Rutkiewicz takes a shot. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 32:54 Corner taken right-footed by Joe Cardle from the right by-line to the near post, Henrik Ojamaa makes a clearance.
- Correction - 32:25 Short corner worked by Joe Cardle.
- 32:25 Joe Cardle decides to take a short corner.
- 31:47 Free kick crossed right-footed by Joe Cardle from right wing, clearance by Tim Clancy.
- 31:47 Booking Booking for Tim Clancy.
- 31:30 Stevie Hammell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Liam Buchanan.
- 30:26 Tim Clancy fouled by Liam Buchanan, the ref awards a free kick. Stevie Hammell takes the direct free kick.
- 28:18 The assist for the goal came from Stevie Hammell.
- 28:18 GOAL - Henrik Ojamaa:Motherwell 1 - 0 Dunfermline Henrik Ojamaa finds the back of the net with a goal from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Motherwell 1-0 Dunfermline.
- 27:31 Unfair challenge on Stevie Hammell by Andy Kirk results in a free kick. Darren Randolph takes the free kick.
- 26:27 Substitution Andy Kirk on for Andrew Barrowman.
- 21:10 Joe Cardle produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 19:44 Patrick Boyle gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Henrik Ojamaa. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Stevie Hammell from right wing, Andy Dowie manages to make a clearance.
- 17:06 Gary Mason takes the direct free kick. Kevin Rutkiewicz takes a shot. Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 17:06 Substitution Tim Clancy is brought on as a substitute for Jamie Murphy.
- 17:06 Booking Andrew Barrowman is shown a yellow card for dissent.
- 17:04 Sent off Stephen Craigan shown a red card for foul and abusive language.
- 17:03 Stephen Craigan concedes a free kick for a foul on Andrew Barrowman.
- 16:02 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Steve Jennings misses to the left of the target.
- 14:02 The assistant referee signals for offside against Henrik Ojamaa. Iain Turner takes the indirect free kick.
- 5:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Hutchinson by Andrew Barrowman. Shaun Hutchinson takes the direct free kick.
- 1:07 Mark Kerr takes a shot from just outside the penalty area which clears the crossbar.
- 0:38 Keith Lasley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andrew Barrowman. Free kick taken by Kevin Rutkiewicz.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier League results
Scottish Premier League table snapshot