Kilmarnock 0 - 3 Dunfermline
Page last updated at 17:13 GMT, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Livewire Liam Buchanan was the inspiration as Dunfermline claimed a victory that moves them closer to Hibernian at the bottom of the table.
He pounced on a mistake by Mo Sissoko before setting up Andrew Barrowman to slot home after 42 minutes.
Good saves from Iain Turner and a goalline clearance kept the Pars ahead.
And, when Buchanan dispossessed Zdenek Kroca, he set up Joe Cardle to fire in after 60 minutes before the forward scored after an 87th-minute break.
The win ended a run of 10 games without a victory for the side who slipped four points adrift of Hibernian after losing to their relegation rivals last weekend.
Dunfermline manager Jim McIntyre responded to the midweek Scottish Cup loss to Inverness by signing Mark Kerr and the former Aberdeen, Falkirk and Dundee United midfielder was immediately handed his debut against the club with whom he had been on trial.
Buchanan and midfielder Gary Mason also came into the side - with Andy Kirk, Ryan Thomson and John Potter dropping to the bench - and the former combined with the new signing to create a couple of early openings.
Kroca's fine interception halted the first, while striker Buchanan squandered the other with some poor control after rounding goalkeeper Cammy Bell.
Ben Gordon, beginning his second loan spell from Chelsea, was straight into a Kilmarnock starting line-up also boosted by the return of Dean Shiels, Garry Hay and Gary Harkins and quickly made an impression.
The full-back looked to catch out Turner, back into the side in place of error-plagued Chris Smith, but his clever chip drifted over the crossbar.
Dunfermline, though, continued to be the more dangerous and Cardle's drive just failed to dip sufficiently to worry the bar.
Buchanan was getting closer to breaking the deadlock and had a drive blocked by Bell before playing his part in the goal when it eventually came.
After a mistake by Sissoko, he rolled the ball into the path of Barrowman to score his sixth of the season.
That stung the hosts and they had Dunfermline under siege for the final three minutes of the first half.
Turner saved well from a Dean Shiels drive, Mason cleared off the line from a Liam Kelly effort then the goalkeeper saved well to deny Hay.
However, Dunfermline ought to have extended their lead early in the second half when Buchanan made room for himself and set up Barrowman at the front post, but the former Kilmarnock striker shot wide.
Buchanan was proving a constant irritant to the Killie defence and set up the Pars' second goal, although they were again given a helping hand by the home side.
The former Partick Thistle forward robbed Kroca as the big defender tried to let the ball run out for a corner before setting up Cardle to settle himself before firing past Bell.
A James Dayton header flashed wide of the Dunfermline goal after he met a fine Gordon cross.
Dunfermline went close to extending their lead when a superb save from Bell thwarted Cardle's sweetly struck effort from long range.
Kilmarnock had a shout for a penalty turned down after Paul Heffernan went down in the penalty box in the closing minutes before Buchanan rounded off the victory.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 21 January 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Bell
- 03 Hay (Dayton 56)
- 04 Fowler
- 13 Kroca
- 19 Gordon
- 88 Sissoko
- 08 Kelly (Silva 55)
- 11 Harkins
- 20 Shiels
- 29 Pascali
- 14 Heffernan
- 17 Letheren,
- 06 Nelson,
- 23 McKeown,
- 07 Silva,
- 10 Dayton,
- 22 Racchi,
- 33 Kennedy
- 25 Turner
- 05 Rutkiewicz
- 06 Keddie
- 13 Boyle
- 15 Dowie
- 02 Kerr (Thomson 90+2)
- 04 Mason
- 07 Cardle
- 09 Barrowman (Kirk 80)
- 11 Graham
- 19 Buchanan (Hardie 88)
- 20 Smith,
- 16 Potter,
- 39 Young,
- 08 Hardie,
- 23 Thomson,
- 34 Byrne,
- 10 Kirk
- Kilmarnock 54%
- Dunfermline 46%
Attempts on target
- Kilmarnock 2
- Dunfermline 6
Attempts off target
- Kilmarnock 8
- Dunfermline 2
- Kilmarnock 8
- Dunfermline 2
- Kilmarnock 10
- Dunfermline 18
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:58 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+1:31 Substitution Ryan Thomson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Mark Kerr.
- 90:00+1:31 Short corner taken by James Fowler from the left by-line.
- 88:37 Unfair challenge on Dean Shiels by Alex Keddie results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gary Harkins. Short corner worked by Dean Shiels, Martin Hardie makes a clearance.
- 87:35 Substitution (Dunfermline) makes a substitution, with Martin Hardie coming on for Liam Buchanan.
- 86:50 Andy Kirk provided the assist for the goal.
- 86:50 GOAL - Liam Buchanan:Kilmarnock 0 - 3 Dunfermline Liam Buchanan gets on the score sheet with a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 0-3 Dunfermline.
- 83:21 Corner taken left-footed by James Dayton, Zdenek Kroca has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 80:31 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Dean Shiels.
- 79:24 Substitution Andy Kirk on for Andrew Barrowman.
- 78:30 The official flags Gary Harkins offside. Indirect free kick taken by Iain Turner.
- 76:46 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Joe Cardle from the right by-line.
- 74:25 Joe Cardle takes a shot. Save made by Cameron Bell. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Joe Cardle.
- 73:34 Unfair challenge on James Dayton by Mark Kerr results in a free kick. James Fowler restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:52 Patrick Boyle fouled by Gary Harkins, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Iain Turner.
- 71:37 Manuel Pascali concedes a free kick for a foul on David Graham. Iain Turner takes the direct free kick.
- 70:36 Unfair challenge on David Silva by Andy Dowie results in a free kick. Dean Shiels crosses the ball in from the free kick, save by Iain Turner.
- 68:57 James Fowler has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Save by Iain Turner.
- 68:47 The ball is delivered by James Dayton, clearance made by Gary Mason.
- 64:53 Andrew Barrowman takes a shot. Ben Gordon makes a clearance.
- 64:11 The ball is swung over by Ben Gordon, Headed effort from inside the area by James Dayton misses to the left of the target.
- 63:00 Gary Harkins concedes a free kick for a foul on Mark Kerr. Patrick Boyle restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:35 Outswinging corner taken by Dean Shiels from the right by-line, save by Iain Turner. James Dayton has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 59:45 Assist on the goal came from Liam Buchanan.
- 59:45 GOAL - Joe Cardle:Kilmarnock 0 - 2 Dunfermline Joe Cardle finds the net with a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 0-2 Dunfermline.
- 58:03 Andrew Barrowman concedes a free kick for a foul on Manuel Pascali. Free kick taken by Manuel Pascali.
- 56:49 Patrick Boyle concedes a free kick for a foul on James Dayton. Dean Shiels crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing.
- 56:20 Andrew Barrowman has an effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the goal.
- 55:50 Foul by Liam Buchanan on Zdenek Kroca, free kick awarded. Cameron Bell takes the free kick.
- 54:54 Substitution Garry Hay goes off and James Dayton comes on.
- 54:54 Substitution David Silva is brought on as a substitute for Liam Kelly.
- 50:52 Alex Keddie challenges Gary Harkins unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dean Shiels takes the free kick.
- 48:53 Ben Gordon fouled by David Graham, the ref awards a free kick. Manuel Pascali restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:05 Dean Shiels produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 45:29 Andrew Barrowman is caught offside. Mohamadou Sissoko takes the free kick. Mohamadou Sissoko challenges Andrew Barrowman unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed by Joe Cardle, save by Cameron Bell.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:09 It is the end of the first-half.
- 42:59 Dean Shiels takes a shot. Save by Iain Turner. Short corner worked by Dean Shiels, clearance made by Kevin Rutkiewicz. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Dean Shiels from the right by-line, Liam Kelly takes a shot. Gary Mason gets a block in. Garry Hay takes a shot. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Dean Shiels from the right by-line.
- 41:46 Assist by Liam Buchanan.
- 41:46 GOAL - Andrew Barrowman:Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Dunfermline Andrew Barrowman fires in a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 0-1 Dunfermline.
- 39:33 Liam Buchanan challenges Garry Hay unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Dean Shiels.
- 38:09 Liam Buchanan takes a shot. Cameron Bell gets a block in.
- 37:35 Joe Cardle fouled by Liam Kelly, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Joe Cardle, Manuel Pascali makes a clearance.
- 36:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Zdenek Kroca by Liam Buchanan. Direct free kick taken by Zdenek Kroca.
- 33:54 Liam Kelly challenges Andrew Barrowman unfairly and gives away a free kick. Alex Keddie takes the direct free kick.
- 30:04 Joe Cardle fouled by James Fowler, the ref awards a free kick. Joe Cardle crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Liam Kelly.
- 27:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Garry Hay by David Graham. The ball is swung over by Dean Shiels, Header by Paul Heffernan from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 24:32 Andy Dowie concedes a free kick for a foul on Gary Harkins. Free kick crossed right-footed by Dean Shiels from left wing.
- 23:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Manuel Pascali by Gary Mason. Direct free kick taken by Mohamadou Sissoko.
- 22:47 Zdenek Kroca challenges Andrew Barrowman unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Mark Kerr.
- 21:37 Gary Harkins gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Kerr. Iain Turner takes the direct free kick.
- 20:07 Andrew Barrowman challenges Manuel Pascali unfairly and gives away a free kick. Zdenek Kroca restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:49 Paul Heffernan sends in a cross, clearance made by Kevin Rutkiewicz.
- 18:39 A cross is delivered by Gary Harkins.
- 17:56 Foul by Mark Kerr on Liam Kelly, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Dean Shiels.
- 15:24 Andrew Barrowman concedes a free kick for a foul on Zdenek Kroca. Zdenek Kroca restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:35 Shot by Joe Cardle from just outside the area goes over the net.
- 11:50 Shot from inside the area by Ben Gordon clears the bar.
- 11:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alex Keddie on Paul Heffernan. Dean Shiels takes the direct free kick.
- 10:09 Foul by Garry Hay on Mark Kerr, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Alex Keddie.
- 8:30 The referee blows for offside against Liam Buchanan. Ben Gordon takes the free kick.
- 5:21 The ball is delivered by Joe Cardle, clearance made by Zdenek Kroca.
- 3:08 Kevin Rutkiewicz gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Paul Heffernan. Free kick taken by Manuel Pascali.
- 1:46 The official flags Andrew Barrowman offside. Cameron Bell restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier League results
Scottish Premier League table snapshot