Inverness CT 1 - 0 Hearts
Page last updated at 17:08 GMT, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Inverness claimed a second straight Scottish Premier League win as Hearts were beaten in the Highlands.
Hearts' Jamie Hamill struck the bar with a long-range effort and Inverness defender Kenny Gillet had a goal ruled out for offside before the break.
But Shane Sutherland broke the deadlock for the hosts after the break, heading home Jonny Hayes' cross.
David Templeton had a penalty appeal turned down and John Sutton fired wide as Hearts pressed for an equaliser.
Terry Butcher's side remain eight points ahead of bottom club Dunfermline and are now seven clear of Hibernian.
Hearts stay third, but the Edinburgh side are joined on the same number of points by St Johnstone and Motherwell.
Doubts about whether the match would go ahead following inclement weather earlier in the day were overcome as conditions improved in the run-up to kick-off.
Hamill's early strike from 35 yards thundered against the crossbar before Inverness began to assert themselves in the first half.
A free-kick by Tansey was saved by Marian Kello and the goalkeeper then stooped low to block an effort by Richie Foran.
Templeton tested Ryan Esson from 25 yards, the Inverness keeper doing enough to keep the shot out.
Inverness went back on the attack and Kello saved attempts by Hayes and Sutherland in quick succession before Gillet netted the second rebound only to be frustrated by the assistant referee's flag.
Nick Ross flashed a swerving 25-yard shot wide and Gregory Tade was also off target for the hosts before the break.
But their pressure told in the 49th minute as Sutherland got on the end of Hayes' centre and nodded powerfully towards goal, Kello unable to stop the ball crossing the line.
Hearts responded with Ian Black's long-range free-kick, which required a save from Esson.
Sutherland's cross almost caught out Kello as it rebounded off the post before Hearts substitute Suso Santana went close from distance.
Tansey played in Hayes as the match entered its final 10 minutes, but the winger was foiled by Kello.
With time running out, the visitors pushed for parity and Rudi Skacel's shot was inches over.
Templeton then went down in the box following a challenge by Josh Meekings, but referee George Salmond allowed play to continue.
Sutton's late effort was past the post, meaning Hearts lost their first match since early December.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 21 January 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Esson
- 14 Proctor
- 22 Gillet
- 24 Williams
- 26 Meekings
- 07 Hayes
- 08 Tansey
- 11 Ross (Tokely 86)
- 09 Foran
- 15 Tade (McKay 90)
- 18 Sutherland yellow card
- 12 Tuffey,
- 03 Tokely,
- 19 Shinnie,
- 02 Piermayr,
- 17 Morrison,
- 21 McKay
- 25 Kello
- 05 Barr yellow card (Suso Santana 63)
- 06 Webster
- 17 McGowan yellow card
- 02 Hamill
- 08 Black yellow card (Obua 68)
- 19 Skacel
- 31 Mrowiec
- 10 Elliott (Templeton 19)
- 15 Sutton
- 27 Robinson
- 30 MacDonald,
- 13 Obua,
- 07 Suso Santana,
- 12 Templeton,
- 35 Prychynenko,
- 42 Holt,
- 23 Glen
- Inverness CT 53%
- Hearts 47%
Attempts on target
- Inverness CT 5
- Hearts 3
Attempts off target
- Inverness CT 4
- Hearts 5
- Inverness CT 2
- Hearts 2
- Inverness CT 8
- Hearts 13
- Final Result
- 94:11 The match has reached full-time.
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:01 Corner taken by Suso Santana, Jamie Hamill takes a shot. Ryan Esson makes a comfortable save.
- 89:57 Substitution Gregory Tade goes off and Billy McKay comes on.
- 89:40 Effort on goal by Greg Tansey from a long way out goes over the bar.
- 87:29 Booking The referee books Shane Sutherland for dissent.
- 86:32 John Sutton has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 85:44 Substitution Ross Tokely comes on in place of Nick Ross.
- 84:17 Left-footed shot by Rudi Skacel went wide of the left-hand post.
- 82:46 Rudi Skacel produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 81:34 John Sutton concedes a free kick for a foul on David Proctor. Ryan Esson takes the free kick.
- 79:13 Johnny Hayes takes a shot. Save by Marian Kello.
- 78:23 Effort on goal by Scott Robinson from a long way out goes over the bar.
- 76:59 Gregory Tade concedes a free kick for a foul on Andy Webster. Scott Robinson takes the direct free kick.
- 72:56 John Sutton challenges Richie Foran unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kenny Gillet.
- 67:41 Substitution Ian Black goes off and David Obua comes on.
- 66:03 Suso Santana is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Kenny Gillet.
- 65:40 The referee blows for offside against Gregory Tade. Ryan McGowan takes the free kick.
- 62:15 Substitution (Hearts) makes a substitution, with Suso Santana coming on for Darren Barr.
- 60:19 Rudi Skacel challenges Shane Sutherland unfairly and gives away a free kick. Kenny Gillet takes the direct free kick.
- 58:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Darren Barr by Gregory Tade. Direct free kick taken by Ian Black.
- 58:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andy Webster by Gregory Tade. Andy Webster restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:39 Josh Meekings restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:39 Booking Ian Black booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 56:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ian Black on Shane Sutherland.
- 52:00 David Templeton fouled by Josh Meekings, the ref awards a free kick. Shot on goal comes in from Ian Black from the free kick, Ryan Esson makes a comfortable save.
- 50:28 Ian Black takes a corner.
- 48:05 Assist by Johnny Hayes.
- 48:05 GOAL - Shane Sutherland:Inverness CT 1 - 0 Hearts Shane Sutherland grabs a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Inverness CT 1-0 Hearts.
- 45:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ian Black by Steve Williams. Free kick taken by David Templeton.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:00 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+0:29 Gregory Tade produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 42:50 Nick Ross has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide left of the goal.
- 40:09 Josh Meekings restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:09 Booking Ryan McGowan goes into the book for dissent.
- 40:01 Ian Black concedes a free kick for a foul on Greg Tansey.
- 38:00 Scott Robinson fouled by Greg Tansey, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Darren Barr.
- 35:58 Gregory Tade is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Marian Kello takes the indirect free kick.
- 35:38 Johnny Hayes takes a shot. Save made by Marian Kello.
- 34:34 Unfair challenge on Jamie Hamill by Johnny Hayes results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Marian Kello.
- 33:16 The assistant referee flags for offside against Gregory Tade. Marian Kello takes the indirect free kick.
- 31:35 Rudi Skacel gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shane Sutherland. Kenny Gillet takes the free kick.
- 27:27 Richie Foran fouled by John Sutton, the ref awards a free kick. David Proctor takes the direct free kick.
- 26:19 Johnny Hayes fouled by Ian Black, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Johnny Hayes.
- 25:00 David Templeton takes a shot. Ryan Esson makes a save.
- 24:14 Greg Tansey takes the inswinging corner, comfortable save by Marian Kello.
- 22:09 Ryan McGowan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Johnny Hayes. Free kick crossed left-footed by Johnny Hayes from right wing.
- 19:00 Substitution David Templeton is brought on as a substitute for Stephen Elliott.
- 16:41 Richie Foran fouled by John Sutton, the ref awards a free kick. Richie Foran restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:13 The assistant referee signals for offside against Gregory Tade. Marian Kello restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:15 Shot by Richie Foran from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 13:02 Corner from the right by-line taken by Johnny Hayes, clearance by Andy Webster.
- 11:03 Foul by Greg Tansey on Ian Black, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Andy Webster.
- 9:40 The ball is crossed by Johnny Hayes, Richie Foran takes a shot. Marian Kello makes a save.
- 9:40 Booking The referee cautions Darren Barr for unsporting behaviour.
- 9:16 Unfair challenge on Johnny Hayes by Darren Barr results in a free kick.
- 4:27 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shane Sutherland by Rudi Skacel. Greg Tansey shoots direct from the free kick, save by Marian Kello.
- 2:58 Effort on goal by Stephen Elliott from long range goes over the bar.
- 0:59 Unfair challenge on Shane Sutherland by Scott Robinson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Proctor.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier League results
Scottish Premier League table snapshot
21 January 12Inverness CT