Motherwell 0 - 1 Inverness CT
Page last updated at 17:05 GMT, Saturday, 14 January 2012
Inverness Caledonian Thistle claimed victory at Fir Park as Motherwell slipped out of the Scottish Premier League's top three.
Caley's Billy McKay and 'Well's Omar Daley both passed up chances before Jamie Murphy was denied an opener for the hosts by Kenny Gillet's tackle.
Darren Randolph blocked an effort by Gregory Tade as the visitors pressed.
But Tade soon found the net with an excellent 67th-minute strike and Motherwell could not respond.
Tenth-place Inverness move eight points clear of bottom club Dunfermline while Motherwell drop to fourth, with Hearts replacing the Steelmen in third position. However, Stuart McCall's side have two games in hand.
The match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of Bill Dickie, the Motherwell vice-chairman and long-serving director who died on Tuesday.
Michael Higdon went down in the box as he was challenged in the air by Inverness defender Roman Golobart but referee Bobby Madden deemed there to be no infringement.
Goalkeeper Ryan Esson's unconvincing punch at a corner created a scramble in the box and Higdon's shot was deflected high over the bar.
Golobart survived another penalty claim after the ball bounced up onto his hand as he slid in to play the ball back to Esson.
Having done most of the defending in the opening 25 minutes, Inverness moved upfield and Greg Tansey's deflected shot resulted in a corner, from which Lee Cox had an effort blocked.
Tade then led a break for the Highlanders and opened up the space for McKay to fire in a shot from the right but the youngster dragged his attempt wide.
Omar Daley, deployed in a central role, danced away from Thomas Piermayr inside the Inverness box and set himself for a shot but the tricky winger blasted the ball high over.
Murphy was next to threaten, the forward driving into the box and rounding Esson only to have his path to the unguarded net blocked by Gillet's last-ditch challenge.
Keith Lasley worked Esson with an early second-half shot but chances were becoming infrequent as the match wore on.
A handball claim against Gillet was turned down by referee Madden.
McKay sent Tade through on goal but the forward's shot was well saved by Darren Randolph in the six-yard box.
But Tade's next effort did have the beating of the Motherwell keeper.
The Frenchman collected Nick Ross's pass outside the box, spun away from a couple of defenders and smashed a powerful drive into the net.
McCall sent on Henrik Ojamaa and Chris Humphrey for Daley and Nicky Law in an attempt to reverse the home side's fortunes.
But Inverness held firm in the final quarter to claim all three points.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 14 January 2012
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Craigan (Jennings 86)
- 15 Hutchinson
- 22 Clancy
- 04 Law (Humphrey 71)
- 06 Hateley
- 14 Lasley
- 17 Daley (Ojamaa 71)
- 09 Higdon
- 11 Murphy
- 31 Bradley,
- 20 Page,
- 07 Humphrey,
- 08 Jennings,
- 16 McHugh,
- 18 Forbes,
- 24 Ojamaa
- 01 Esson
- 16 Golobart
- 19 Shinnie
- 22 Gillet
- 02 Piermayr
- 06 Cox
- 07 Hayes
- 08 Tansey
- 11 Ross (Williams 77)
- 15 Tade
- 21 McKay (Proctor 88)
- 12 Tuffey,
- 14 Proctor,
- 24 Williams,
- 26 Meekings,
- 10 Shinnie,
- 17 Morrison,
- 18 Sutherland
- Motherwell 54%
- Inverness CT 46%
Attempts on target
- Motherwell 2
- Inverness CT 5
Attempts off target
- Motherwell 7
- Inverness CT 5
- Motherwell 8
- Inverness CT 7
- Motherwell 6
- Inverness CT 11
- Final Result
- 92:15 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- Full Time
- 89:44 Tim Clancy concedes a free kick for a foul on Gregory Tade. Johnny Hayes restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:25 Tom Hateley sends in a cross, Kenny Gillet manages to make a clearance.
- 87:25 Substitution David Proctor is brought on as a substitute for Billy McKay.
- 87:25 Graeme Shinnie concedes a free kick for a foul on Chris Humphrey.
- 85:48 Substitution Stephen Craigan leaves the field to be replaced by Steve Jennings.
- 85:48 Greg Tansey fouled by Chris Humphrey, the ref awards a free kick. Ryan Esson restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Higdon by Greg Tansey. Free kick taken by Tom Hateley.
- 79:13 Foul by Graeme Shinnie on Chris Humphrey, free kick awarded. Darren Randolph takes the direct free kick.
- 75:19 Clearance made by Roman Golobart.
- 75:19 Substitution Steve Williams replaces Nick Ross.
- 75:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Henrik Ojamaa by Thomas Piermayr. Tom Hateley produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, Thomas Piermayr gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Tom Hateley,
- 70:42 Substitution Chris Humphrey on for Nicky Law.
- 70:42 Substitution Henrik Ojamaa comes on in place of Omar Daley.
- 68:40 Stevie Hammell concedes a free kick for a foul on Roman Golobart. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Esson.
- 66:17 The assist for the goal came from Nick Ross.
- 66:17 GOAL - Gregory Tade:Motherwell 0 - 1 Inverness CT Gregory Tade gets on the score sheet with a goal from just outside the area to the top left corner of the goal. Motherwell 0-1 Inverness CT.
- 63:39 Gregory Tade takes a shot. Save made by Darren Randolph. Greg Tansey takes a corner.
- 62:31 Omar Daley fouled by Roman Golobart, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Stevie Hammell.
- 58:51 The official flags Billy McKay offside. Keith Lasley takes the free kick.
- 56:30 Corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley to the near post, Ryan Esson makes a save. Tom Hateley takes the inswinging corner, Gregory Tade manages to make a clearance.
- 54:48 Johnny Hayes takes a shot. Keith Lasley gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Greg Tansey from the right by-line, Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 52:22 Foul by Billy McKay on Stevie Hammell, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Stevie Hammell.
- 47:55 Shot from just outside the area by Johnny Hayes misses to the left of the target.
- 47:18 Keith Lasley takes a shot from 20 yards. Ryan Esson makes a brilliant save.
- 45:27 Johnny Hayes takes a shot. Stephen Craigan gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Greg Tansey from the left by-line to the near post. Corner taken by Johnny Hayes from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Michael Higdon.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:02 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 44:50 Shot by Greg Tansey. Save by Darren Randolph.
- 43:59 Gregory Tade produces a drilled right-footed shot from 12 yards. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- Correction - 42:27 Foul by Greg Tansey on Omar Daley, free kick awarded. Tom Hateley crosses the ball in from the free kick, Roman Golobart manages to make a clearance.
- 42:27 Greg Tansey concedes a free kick for a foul on Omar Daley. Tom Hateley delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, Greg Tansey manages to make a clearance.
- 41:24 Johnny Hayes takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 37:48 Cross/shot by Omar Daley,
- 33:25 Gregory Tade has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 32:38 Unfair challenge on Tim Clancy by Gregory Tade results in a free kick. Darren Randolph takes the direct free kick.
- 27:12 Tom Hateley takes the outswinging corner, Greg Tansey manages to make a clearance.
- 25:35 Lee Cox has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Corner taken by Johnny Hayes from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Tom Hateley.
- 22:25 Unfair challenge on Tom Hateley by Nick Ross results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Tom Hateley.
- Correction - 19:39 Effort on goal by Michael Higdon from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target. Corner taken by Tom Hateley played to the near post, Headed effort from inside the area by Tim Clancy misses to the left of the goal.
- 19:39 Effort on goal by Michael Higdon from inside the box misses to the right of the target. Corner taken right-footed by Lee Cox to the near post, Header by Tim Clancy from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 19:38 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley from the right by-line to the near post, Effort on goal by Omar Daley from deep inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar. Clearance by Greg Tansey.
- 19:07 Omar Daley takes a shot. Ryan Esson gets a block in.
- 17:23 Michael Higdon produces a volleyed right-footed shot from deep inside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 16:43 Corner taken by Greg Tansey from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Michael Higdon.
- 16:08 Corner taken by Tom Hateley played to the near post.
- 14:42 Foul by Greg Tansey on Nicky Law, free kick awarded. Nicky Law restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Roman Golobart by Michael Higdon. Billy McKay takes the free kick.
- 12:50 The official flags Billy McKay offside. Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nicky Law by Greg Tansey. Shaun Hutchinson takes the free kick.
- 6:54 Tom Hateley challenges Gregory Tade unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Lee Cox.
- 5:35 Corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley from the left by-line, Michael Higdon has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the goal.
- 3:26 Keith Lasley challenges Thomas Piermayr unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Esson.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier League results
Scottish Premier League table snapshot
14 January 12Inverness CT