Hearts 2 - 0 Motherwell
Page last updated at 14:52 GMT, Saturday, 24 December 2011
Hearts maintained recent good form with an impressive display to nudge closer to third-placed Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League.
The hosts broke the deadlock after 16 minutes through Ian Black's drive.
The advantage doubled 10 minutes later with David Templeton the architect down the left wing, crossing to Stephen Elliott who scored from close range.
Andrew Driver replaced Templeton in the second half, despite having handed in a transfer request at the Edinburgh club.
However, Ryan Stevenson did not feature in the Hearts squad after asking to leave the club due to the ongoing dispute over unpaid player wages at Tynecastle.
The result meant a victory for manager Paulo Sergio on his return to the Hearts dugout following a recent touchline ban as Motherwell slumped to just their second away defeat of the season.
Motherwell threatened early on with Michael Higdon forcing a save from goalkeeper Marian Kello.
At the other end, Darren Randolph reacted well to save a shot from Templeton that had deflected off Shaun Hutchinson.
Templeton had another effort blocked after skipping away from Tom Hateley but the rebound fell for Black, who made space for himself before unleashing a shot into the bottom corner to give Hearts the lead.
Another effort from Templeton from around 30 yards sailed narrowly over.
And the winger's tormenting of Hateley continued as he surged past the full-back and a threaded the ball across for Elliott to tap home.
Omar Daley's cross struck the post as Motherwell pressed before the break.
Hateley missed a cross-field pass in the early stages of the second half allowing Templeton to get in a shot but Randolph was not troubled.
That was to be Templeton's last act as Driver came on to applause and some muted booing.
There was an injury blow for the hosts when Jamie Hamill went to ground clutching his left ankle and the former Kilmarnock player was carried off on a stretcher.
Darren Barr came on and soon conceded a free-kick, from which Hateley fired over.
Mehdi Taouil's shot was too high as Hearts finished strongly.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 24 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Kello
- 06 Webster
- 17 McGowan
- 26 Zaliukas
- 02 Hamill (Barr 71)
- 08 Black (Skacel 85)
- 12 Templeton (Driver 62)
- 21 Taouil
- 31 Mrowiec
- 10 Elliott
- 27 Robinson
- 30 MacDonald,
- 05 Barr,
- 13 Obua,
- 11 Driver,
- 19 Skacel,
- 34 Stewart,
- 18 Novikovas
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Craigan
- 15 Hutchinson
- 04 Law
- 06 Hateley
- 14 Lasley
- 17 Daley
- 24 Hughes yellow card (Carswell 65)
- 09 Higdon yellow card
- 11 Murphy (McHugh 65)
- 31 Bradley,
- 20 Page,
- 22 Clancy,
- 07 Humphrey,
- 26 Carswell,
- 16 McHugh,
- 18 Forbes
- Hearts 58%
- Motherwell 42%
Attempts on target
- Hearts 9
- Motherwell 1
Attempts off target
- Hearts 9
- Motherwell 2
- Hearts 6
- Motherwell 2
- Hearts 5
- Motherwell 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:23 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:45 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan McGowan by Shaun Hutchinson. Marian Kello takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+4:21 Darren Barr gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Omar Daley. Stephen Craigan takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+2:12 Rudi Skacel decides to take a short corner.
- 90:00+1:34 The referee blows for offside. Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:34 Mehdi Taouil produces a right-footed effort from long distance that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 89:49 Stewart Carswell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mehdi Taouil. Free kick taken by Ryan McGowan.
- 86:10 Mehdi Taouil takes a inswinging corner.
- 85:56 Andrew Driver produces a cross, Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 84:54 Substitution Rudi Skacel replaces Ian Black.
- 84:48 Mehdi Taouil produces a cross.
- 83:23 Nicky Law concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan McGowan. Strike on goal comes in from Mehdi Taouil from the free kick.
- 83:12 A cross is delivered by Mehdi Taouil, Shaun Hutchinson makes a clearance.
- 81:49 The ball is crossed by Ian Black, clearance made by Stephen Craigan.
- 81:26 Short corner taken by Ian Black.
- 80:13 Foul by Andy Webster on Michael Higdon, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed left-footed by Stevie Hammell from left channel, clearance by Marius Zaliukas.
- 79:52 Scott Robinson has an effort at goal from a long way out that goes wide left.
- 79:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stewart Carswell on Darren Barr. Ian Black delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, Tom Hateley manages to make a clearance.
- 77:54 Mehdi Taouil produces a cross, clearance by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 77:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Omar Daley on Ian Black. Free kick taken by Ian Black.
- 75:04 Darren Barr challenges Keith Lasley unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Tom Hateley.
- 73:49 Robert McHugh delivers the ball, save made by Marian Kello.
- 70:52 Substitution (Hearts) makes a substitution, with Darren Barr coming on for Jamie Hamill.
- 65:57 Stewart Carswell concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Robinson. Andy Webster takes the free kick.
- 64:58 Substitution Robert McHugh on for Jamie Murphy.
- 64:58 Substitution Stewart Carswell on for Stephen Hughes.
- 64:00 Omar Daley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Robinson. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Ian Black from left wing, clearance by Michael Higdon.
- 63:05 Free kick crossed right-footed by Ian Black.
- 63:05 Booking Stephen Hughes booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 62:33 Jamie Hamill fouled by Stephen Hughes, the ref awards a free kick.
- 61:36 Darren Randolph takes the direct free kick.
- 61:36 Substitution Andrew Driver replaces David Templeton.
- 61:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stephen Elliott on Shaun Hutchinson.
- 59:43 The ball is delivered by Mehdi Taouil.
- 59:03 Ryan McGowan fouled by Nicky Law, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Ian Black.
- 58:45 David Templeton takes a shot. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 56:23 Tom Hateley concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan McGowan. Ian Black crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, Stephen Hughes manages to make a clearance.
- 53:18 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley, save by Marian Kello.
- 52:04 Header from close range by Stephen Elliott misses to the right of the goal.
- 51:54 Short corner taken by Ian Black.
- 51:28 Ryan McGowan takes a shot. Blocked by Tom Hateley.
- 48:41 Effort on goal by Ian Black from outside the box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 45:23 Jamie Hamill sends in a cross, Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:17 Stephen Elliott takes a shot. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 43:23 Omar Daley delivers the ball, save made by Marian Kello.
- 42:11 Corner taken by Ian Black, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Andy Webster misses to the right of the goal.
- Correction - 40:54 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Ian Black, Ryan McGowan has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 40:54 Corner taken by Ian Black from the left by-line, Effort from inside the area by Ryan McGowan misses to the right of the goal.
- 39:56 Unfair challenge on Keith Lasley by Mehdi Taouil results in a free kick. Stevie Hammell takes the free kick.
- 38:55 Foul by Stevie Hammell on Mehdi Taouil, free kick awarded. Ian Black produces a cross, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Andy Webster misses to the left of the goal.
- 37:38 Booking The referee shows Michael Higdon a yellow card.
- 34:06 The ball is swung over by Jamie Murphy.
- 33:25 Effort on goal by Scott Robinson from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 30:24 Jamie Murphy crosses the ball, Marian Kello makes a save.
- 28:56 Michael Higdon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Marius Zaliukas. Marius Zaliukas restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:35 Assist by David Templeton.
- 27:35 GOAL - Stephen Elliott:Hearts 2 - 0 Motherwell Stephen Elliott grabs a goal from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Hearts 2-0 Motherwell.
- 25:38 The referee blows for offside. Shaun Hutchinson takes the indirect free kick.
- 24:06 Shot from long range by David Templeton misses to the right of the goal.
- 20:29 Corner taken by Tom Hateley played to the near post, save made by Marian Kello.
- 20:23 The ball is crossed by Stevie Hammell, blocked by Jamie Hamill.
- 18:35 Effort on goal by Stephen Hughes from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 16:11 GOAL - Ian Black:Hearts 1 - 0 Motherwell Ian Black finds the back of the net with a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Hearts 1-0 Motherwell.
- 16:09 David Templeton takes a shot. Blocked by Stephen Craigan.
- 12:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stephen Hughes on Scott Robinson. Direct free kick taken by Jamie Hamill.
- 9:01 Stephen Elliott fouled by Stephen Craigan, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Ian Black from right channel, Keith Lasley makes a clearance.
- 8:48 David Templeton takes a shot. Tom Hateley makes a clearance.
- 5:12 Stephen Elliott takes a shot. Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 4:07 Stephen Hughes concedes a free kick for a foul on David Templeton. Direct free kick taken by Marius Zaliukas.
- 2:26 Michael Higdon takes a shot. Save by Marian Kello.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot