Dunfermline 0 - 3 St Johnstone
Page last updated at 15:29 GMT, Saturday, 24 December 2011
St Johnstone earned a well-deserved victory against Dunfermline at East End Park in a match that Pars keeper Chris Smith will be keen to forget.
Smith punched Liam Craig's corner into his own net after 36 minutes to gift St Johnstone the lead.
Francisco Sandaza doubled Smith's misery in the second half when the keeper failed to gather a Marcus Haber shot and the Spaniard fired in.
Craig doubled his tally after Sandaza set him up with 30 minutes remaining.
The win keeps St Johnstone one point ahead of Hearts in fourth place, while Dunfermline are rooted to the foot of the Scottish Premier League table, having failed to win a home match all season.
St Johnstone welcomed back Jody Morris and Sandaza, while Murray Davidson recovered from the illness that forced him out of last weekend's defeat by Celtic.
Alan Maybury and Kevin Moon dropped to the bench while David Robertson missed out with concussion and Pars fFull-back Jason Thomson returned from a groin injury.
The wind proved a challenge as both sides struggled to mount meaningful attacks and Dunfermline's Paul Willis sent a ball across the face of goal when his team-mates were calling for a cutback after the midfielder worked his way into the box from the right flank.
St Johnstone began to push their hosts back and Smith got down to hold a Sandaza shot after the Spaniard had outmuscled Alex Keddie.
The visitors were ahead on 36 minutes when Smith's first game of the season turned into a personal embarrassment.
The former St Mirren keeper came off his line to punch Craig's inswinging corner but the ball spun the wrong way off his fist and Willis could only help the ball into the roof of the net as he attempted to clear off the line.
He made a good save five minutes later when he stopped Craig's low angled drive after the St Johnstone midfielder lost his marker to put himself clear on goal, then his luck held out as as Sandaza hit the bar from 10 yards from the rebound.
Shortly after the break, Smith's miserable afternoon continued when he spilled Haber's shot and Sandaza scooped up the left-overs, sneaking in-between the Dunfermline defence to double the Saints' lead.
Craig easily beat Smith for St Johnstone's third of the afternoon after Sandaza played him through in the 59th minute.
Five minutes later, a Morris effort from inside the Dunfermline penalty area went harmlessly over the bar.
Calum Davidson was unlucky to see a late shot deflect off the back of Keddie as the hosts managed to keep the scoreline from inflating further.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 24 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 20 Smith
- 02 Thomson
- 06 Keddie
- 13 Boyle
- 15 Dowie
- 07 Cardle
- 08 Hardie (Thomson 67)
- 17 Burns
- 22 Willis (Kirk 62)
- 09 Barrowman (Buchanan 72)
- 11 Graham
- 30 Goodfellow,
- 16 Potter,
- 04 Mason,
- 23 Thomson,
- 34 Byrne,
- 10 Kirk,
- 19 Buchanan
- 01 Enckelman
- 02 MacKay
- 03 Davidson
- 06 Anderson
- 18 McCracken
- 04 Morris (Moon 74)
- 07 Millar
- 08 Davidson (Maybury 84)
- 10 Craig
- 21 Sandaza (Finnigan 78)
- 23 Haber
- 15 Mannus,
- 12 Maybury,
- 25 Durnan,
- 14 Moon,
- 29 McIntosh,
- 39 Gray,
- 19 Finnigan
- Dunfermline 37%
- St Johnstone 63%
Attempts on target
- Dunfermline 0
- St Johnstone 5
Attempts off target
- Dunfermline 1
- St Johnstone 5
- Dunfermline 2
- St Johnstone 6
- Dunfermline 8
- St Johnstone 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+1:01 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+0:24 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Liam Craig, clearance made by Ryan Thomson.
- 89:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Graham by Liam Craig. Joe Cardle crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, Callum Davidson makes a clearance.
- 88:52 Unfair challenge on Paul Burns by Chris Millar results in a free kick. David Graham takes the direct free kick.
- 86:48 The official flags Carl Finnigan offside. Chris Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:29 The assistant referee flags for offside against Carl Finnigan. Chris Smith takes the indirect free kick.
- 83:02 Substitution Alan Maybury is brought on as a substitute for Murray Davidson.
- 83:02 Carl Finnigan is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Chris Smith takes the free kick.
- 82:24 Short corner worked by Liam Craig, Callum Davidson takes a shot. Blocked by Alex Keddie.
- 77:55 Substitution Carl Finnigan on for Francisco Sandaza.
- 73:15 Substitution Kevin Moon replaces Jody Morris.
- 71:55 Substitution Liam Buchanan joins the action as a substitute, replacing Andrew Barrowman.
- 71:42 Chris Millar is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Chris Smith takes the indirect free kick.
- 70:41 Unfair challenge on Jason Thomson by Liam Craig results in a free kick. Chris Smith takes the free kick.
- 68:51 Inswinging corner taken by Jody Morris from the left by-line, Close range header by Steven Anderson misses to the right of the goal.
- 68:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Millar by Paul Burns. Peter Enckelman restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:03 Substitution Ryan Thomson on for Martin Hardie.
- 66:03 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Steven Anderson.
- 62:56 Effort on goal by Jody Morris from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 61:14 Substitution Andy Kirk joins the action as a substitute, replacing Paul Willis.
- 58:43 Assist on the goal came from Francisco Sandaza.
- 58:43 GOAL - Liam Craig:Dunfermline 0 - 3 St Johnstone Liam Craig scores a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Dunfermline 0-3 St Johnstone.
- 57:59 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David McCracken by Andrew Barrowman. Peter Enckelman restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:34 Andrew Barrowman fouled by David McCracken, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Paul Burns, David McCracken makes a clearance.
- 56:07 The official flags Francisco Sandaza offside. Chris Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:55 Assist on the goal came from Marcus Haber.
- 51:55 GOAL - Francisco Sandaza:Dunfermline 0 - 2 St Johnstone Francisco Sandaza gets on the score sheet with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Dunfermline 0-2 St Johnstone.
- 49:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joe Cardle by Chris Millar. Free kick crossed right-footed by Paul Willis from left wing, Callum Davidson makes a clearance.
- 48:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alex Keddie on Francisco Sandaza. Free kick crossed by Liam Craig, Martin Hardie manages to make a clearance.
- 47:25 Corner taken right-footed by Paul Willis, Callum Davidson makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:02 The first half comes to an end.
- 43:01 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Willis on Steven Anderson. Indirect free kick taken by Peter Enckelman.
- 42:05 Murray Davidson takes a shot.
- 41:30 Effort on goal by Liam Craig from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 37:01 GOAL - Chris Smith:Dunfermline 0 - 1 St Johnstone Chris Smith puts the ball into his own goal. Dunfermline 0-1 St Johnstone.
- 35:18 Liam Craig takes a inswinging corner.
- 34:05 Shot from 35 yards by Liam Craig went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 31:12 Paul Burns fouled by Marcus Haber, the ref awards a free kick. Alex Keddie takes the direct free kick.
- 29:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David McCracken by Andrew Barrowman. Free kick taken by Peter Enckelman.
- 29:35 Unfair challenge on David Graham by Chris Millar results in a free kick. Martin Hardie takes the free kick.
- 26:58 Francisco Sandaza takes a shot. Chris Smith makes a comfortable save.
- 26:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Francisco Sandaza by Alex Keddie. Free kick crossed by Liam Craig, Martin Hardie makes a clearance.
- 20:31 Chris Millar gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Patrick Boyle. Patrick Boyle takes the free kick.
- 19:06 The offside flag is raised against Francisco Sandaza. Andy Dowie restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:27 David MacKay fouled by Joe Cardle, the ref awards a free kick. David MacKay takes the direct free kick.
- 13:04 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Jody Morris, save made by Chris Smith.
- 12:13 Corner taken by Jody Morris, Andrew Barrowman makes a clearance.
- 10:54 The official flags Chris Millar offside. Free kick taken by Chris Smith.
- 10:06 Andrew Barrowman has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 5:23 Corner taken short by Paul Willis.
- 4:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Francisco Sandaza by Alex Keddie. Liam Craig produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Chris Smith.
- 4:03 Callum Davidson concedes a free kick for a foul on Martin Hardie. Martin Hardie restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot