Kilmarnock 2 - 0 Aberdeen
Page last updated at 17:00 GMT, Saturday, 3 December 2011
Gary Harkins and James Dayton were on target to secure victory for Kilmarnock as Aberdeen tumbled to the bottom of the Scottish Premier League.
Harkins stroked the hosts in front when he pounced after Aberdeen goalkeeper Jason Brown struggled to reach Andrew Considine's headed backpass.
Aberdeen responded positively but struggled to create meaningful chances.
And Kilmarnock doubled their lead on 65 minutes when Dayton broke free to shoot past Brown from 18 yards.
Killie boss Kenny Shiels will be pleased with a second clean sheet in a row and a place in the top half of the table but it was a largely scrappy performance on a soggy and windswept afternoon.
His Aberdeen counterpart Craig Brown will be tearing his hair out after witnessing a jittery defensive display from his team.
The visitors made the worst possible start, with Considine's header falling short of Jason Brown, allowing Harkins to beat the keeper in a 50/50 challenge and slide into the net from close range.
With the wet pitch cutting up, both sides struggled to move the ball around
In the 18th minute Scott Vernon was caught off-guard when Ricky Foster's cross from the left made it past Killie defender Mo Sissoko and the ball bounced off his head from six yards and was grasped by Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell.
Killie midfielder Dean Shiels later sent in a curling shot from 25 yards but Brown gathered comfortably.
Three minutes from the break Aberdeen right-back Rory McArdle caused Cammy Bell some alarm when he sent an errant cross from wide on the right just over the near post.
Aberdeen made a strong start to the second half and midfielder Fraser Fyvie's curling free-kick missed everyonem only to skip just past Bell's left-hand post.
Soon after, the Killie keeper had to tip a powerful McArdle drive from distance over the bar for a corner.
Shiels replaced out-of-touch striker Paul Heffernan with Dayton in the 58th minute and the replacement wasted no time making an impact.
Harkins sent Dayton racing clear with a cute pass and the English winger got his shot away despite a slip at the edge of the box and his low drive was powerful enough to beat Brown.
The visitors looked down and out and minutes later Foster was booked a for a cynical foul on Dayton as the home supporters cried for a more severe punishment than the yellow card that was shown.
There was something of a late rally from the Dons but the home defence stood firm without too much trouble.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Bell
- 03 Hay (Davidson 90)
- 04 Fowler yellow card
- 23 McKeown
- 28 Fisher
- 88 Sissoko
- 07 Silva
- 11 Harkins (Kennedy 85)
- 20 Shiels
- 29 Pascali
- 14 Heffernan (Dayton 58)
- 53 Jaakkola,
- 13 Kroca,
- 26 Pursehouse,
- 10 Dayton,
- 22 Racchi,
- 33 Kennedy,
- 31 Davidson
- 32 Brown
- 02 McArdle (Pawlett 78)
- 03 Foster yellow card
- 05 Mawene
- 06 Considine
- 07 Clark
- 08 Milsom
- 16 Osbourne
- 17 Fyvie yellow card
- 09 Vernon (Magennis 61)
- 14 Fallon (Megginson 79)
- 20 Gonzalez,
- 15 Pawlett,
- 33 Masson,
- 34 Grimmer,
- 10 Mackie,
- 21 Magennis,
- 23 Megginson
- Kilmarnock 52%
- Aberdeen 48%
Attempts on target
- Kilmarnock 3
- Aberdeen 2
Attempts off target
- Kilmarnock 0
- Aberdeen 1
- Kilmarnock 3
- Aberdeen 7
- Kilmarnock 8
- Aberdeen 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:12 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+2:46 Chris Clark fouled by Matthew Kennedy, the ref awards a free kick. Robert Milsom takes the free kick.
- 89:40 Substitution Garry Hay goes off and Ross Davidson comes on.
- 89:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Josh Magennis on Mohamadou Sissoko. Cameron Bell takes the direct free kick.
- 87:37 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Dean Shiels from the left by-line, Isaac Osbourne manages to make a clearance.
- 85:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dean Shiels by Andrew Considine. Mohamadou Sissoko restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:05 Substitution Matthew Kennedy on for Gary Harkins.
- 83:19 Corner taken by Dean Shiels from the left by-line, Isaac Osbourne makes a clearance.
- 81:44 Gary Harkins gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Youl Mawene. Youl Mawene takes the free kick.
- 79:52 The offside flag is raised against James Dayton. Jason Brown takes the indirect free kick.
- 78:17 Substitution (Aberdeen) makes a substitution, with Mitchel Megginson coming on for Rory Fallon.
- 77:49 Substitution (Aberdeen) makes a substitution, with Peter Pawlett coming on for Rory McArdle.
- 74:49 Foul by Mohamadou Sissoko on Rory Fallon, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Robert Milsom.
- 71:25 Rory McArdle challenges Mohamadou Sissoko unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Cameron Bell.
- 70:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Richard Foster on James Dayton. James Fowler restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:48 Booking Richard Foster shown a yellow card.
- 64:48 Assist by Gary Harkins.
- 64:48 GOAL - James Dayton:Kilmarnock 2 - 0 Aberdeen James Dayton fires in a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 2-0 Aberdeen.
- 64:05 Mohamadou Sissoko challenges Josh Magennis unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Fraser Fyvie.
- 62:00 Booking Booking for James Fowler.
- 61:53 James Fowler concedes a free kick for a foul on Josh Magennis. Free kick taken by Fraser Fyvie.
- 60:15 Substitution Josh Magennis is brought on as a substitute for Scott Vernon.
- 60:15 The offside flag is raised against Gary Harkins. Free kick taken by Jason Brown.
- 58:52 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Dean Shiels from the left by-line.
- 57:39 Unfair challenge on Dean Shiels by Rory McArdle results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Garry Hay.
- 57:15 Substitution James Dayton replaces Paul Heffernan.
- 54:18 Booking Fraser Fyvie shown a yellow card.
- 50:37 David Silva fouled by Richard Foster, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James Fowler.
- 50:06 The assistant referee flags for offside against Paul Heffernan. Youl Mawene restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:59 Rory McArdle takes a shot. Cameron Bell makes a save. Corner from left by-line taken by Fraser Fyvie. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Robert Milsom, free kick awarded for a foul by Scott Vernon on Cameron Bell. Cameron Bell takes the direct free kick.
- 46:52 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Robert Milsom, clearance made by David Silva.
- Correction - 45:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mohamadou Sissoko on Scott Vernon. Free kick taken by Fraser Fyvie.
- 45:30 Mohamadou Sissoko gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Vernon. Fraser Fyvie takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:02 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 39:14 Effort from just outside the area by Robert Milsom goes over the target.
- 38:02 The assistant referee signals for offside against Fraser Fyvie. Direct free kick taken by Manuel Pascali.
- 35:21 David Silva gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Robert Milsom. Direct free kick taken by Richard Foster.
- 34:34 Andrew Considine challenges Gary Fisher unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dean Shiels restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:08 The official flags Paul Heffernan offside. Free kick taken by Youl Mawene.
- 33:07 Dean Shiels takes a shot. Save by Jason Brown.
- 29:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andrew Considine on Paul Heffernan. Direct free kick taken by Dean Shiels.
- 27:57 Andrew Considine gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Manuel Pascali. Free kick taken by Cameron Bell.
- 27:27 Corner taken right-footed by Fraser Fyvie.
- 25:34 The assistant referee signals for offside against James Fowler. Jason Brown takes the indirect free kick.
- 23:29 Inswinging corner taken by Fraser Fyvie.
- 21:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Fisher by Isaac Osbourne. Manuel Pascali restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:57 Fraser Fyvie takes the inswinging corner, save made by Cameron Bell.
- 18:08 Scott Vernon takes a shot. Save by Cameron Bell.
- 16:57 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Robert Milsom, clearance by David Silva.
- 8:03 Unfair challenge on Dean Shiels by Andrew Considine results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Dean Shiels.
- 4:31 The assist for the goal came from James Fowler.
- 4:31 GOAL - Gary Harkins:Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Aberdeen Gary Harkins gets on the score sheet with a goal from close range low into the middle of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-0 Aberdeen.
- 3:48 David Silva gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Robert Milsom. Direct free kick taken by Andrew Considine.
- 2:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dean Shiels by Fraser Fyvie. Dean Shiels takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot