St Mirren 2 - 1 Dunfermline
Page last updated at 16:57 GMT, Saturday, 19 November 2011
St Mirren moved up to fifth in the Scottish Premier League thanks to a strong first-half showing against Dunfermline in Paisley.
Kenny Mclean finished off from close range after an excellent run and cross from Nigel Hasselbaink.
And Hasselbaink slid in for the second, connecting with a low delivery from Steven Thompson.
The Pars pulled one back when Joe Cardle's wicked delivery deflected in off goalkeeper Craig Samson.
The home side started strongly and Dunfermline goalkeeper Paul Gallagher was forced into good low stop from Jim Goodwin's long range strike after three minutes.
Two minutes later there were cries for a penalty when Paul McGowan's shot was blocked by Paul Burns but referee Crawford Allen waved play on.
Hasselbaink and Steven Thomson were both unable to find the target from promising positions and Gallagher again had to be at his best to turn McGowan's strike from distance round his post.
From the resulting corner St Mirren defender Lee Mair found himself in space but his header went wide of the post.
McGowan should have grabbed the game's opening goal after 22 minutes when Goodwin's excellent cross evaded the Dunfermline defence but the striker was unable to make any contact with the goal at his mercy.
The hosts finally got the goal their play merited after 25 minutes when Hasselbaink's weaving run ended with a neat cut-back to Mclean, who knocked the ball in from close range.
Dunfermline's Ryan Thomson passed up a glorious opportunity after an excellent delivery from Paul Willis - heading wide from eight yards out.
Hasselbaink was a constant threat and his superb delivery found Stephen Thompson, who headed the ball across goal to Mclean only for Gallagher to produce a wonderful stop from point-blank range.
Samson had been a virtual spectator during the first half but he was forced into an excellent save when Andy Kirk connected with Willis' dangerous free-kick.
On the stroke of half-time the home side doubled their lead when Steven Thompson robbed Austin McCann inside the Dunfermline half and delivered a superb delivery for Hasselbaink to hammer high into the net.
St Mirren continued to enjoy the better of the play after the break and after 47 minutes Dunfermline defender Alex Keddie was forced to head the ball behind his own goal after good work by Hasselbaink.
Hasselbaink then tested Gallagher from distance and he then turned provider for Mclean, who shot over from close range.
Gallagher did well to parry away Graham Carey's free-kick before the visitors were handed an unlikely lifeline.
On 62 minutes the St Mirren defence failed to deal with Cardle's cross and the ball deflected off Samson and into the goal.
Gallagher produced a brave low save at the feet of Steven Thompson after good work by David van Zanten.
Dunfermline substitute Cardle was causing the St Mirren defence problems and he unleashed a stinging effort after an excellent driving run, forcing Samson into a good stop.
A late effort from David Graham was as close as they were to come though and St Mirren held out for all three points.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 19 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Samson
- 02 van Zanten
- 05 Mair
- 14 McAusland
- 22 Tesselaar
- 06 Goodwin
- 08 Thomson (Carey 18) (Haddad 74)
- 17 Mclean
- 09 Thompson
- 10 McGowan (Teale 84)
- 11 Hasselbaink yellow card
- 12 Smith,
- 03 Barron,
- 24 Haddad,
- 13 Mckee,
- 21 Teale,
- 23 Carey,
- 19 McShane
- 01 Gallacher
- 03 McCann
- 06 Keddie
- 13 Boyle (Cardle 60)
- 16 Potter
- 17 Burns
- 22 Willis
- 23 Thomson yellow card
- 10 Kirk (McDougall 72)
- 11 Graham
- 19 Buchanan (Barrowman 59)
- 20 Smith,
- 39 Young,
- 40 Drummond,
- 07 Cardle,
- 34 Byrne,
- 09 Barrowman,
- 12 McDougall
- St Mirren 50%
- Dunfermline 50%
Attempts on target
- St Mirren 8
- Dunfermline 3
Attempts off target
- St Mirren 8
- Dunfermline 4
- St Mirren 8
- Dunfermline 4
- St Mirren 11
- Dunfermline 16
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:05 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:05 David Graham produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the goal.
- 90:00+1:36 Outswinging corner taken by Paul Willis.
- 90:00+0:32 The official flags Joe Cardle offside. Craig Samson takes the indirect free kick.
- 88:39 Ryan Thomson produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 88:06 The ball is delivered by Kenny McLean, Shot by Steven Thompson from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 84:31 Outswinging corner taken by Gary Teale from the right by-line, Jim Goodwin takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 83:36 Substitution Gary Teale on for Paul McGowan.
- 81:15 Joe Cardle takes a shot. Save by Paul Gallacher.
- 79:09 Corner taken left-footed by Kenny McLean, Alex Keddie manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Kenny McLean from the right by-line, Header from deep inside the area by Marc McAusland goes over the bar.
- Correction - 76:47 Nigel Hasselbaink takes a shot. Save by Paul Gallacher. Corner taken by Kenny McLean from the left by-line.
- 76:47 Nigel Hasselbaink takes a shot. Save by Paul Gallacher. Corner from left by-line taken by Kenny McLean.
- 75:37 Corner taken left-footed by Kenny McLean, Close range headed effort by Marc McAusland misses to the right of the goal.
- 74:28 Handball by Andrew Barrowman. Indirect free kick taken by Craig Samson.
- 73:55 Substitution Illias Haddad replaces Graham Carey.
- 73:13 Unfair challenge on Joe Cardle by Marc McAusland results in a free kick. Joe Cardle restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:28 Booking Nigel Hasselbaink receives a yellow card.
- 71:10 Lee Mair takes the free kick.
- 71:10 Substitution Steven McDougall is brought on as a substitute for Andy Kirk.
- 71:10 Booking Booking for Ryan Thomson for unsporting behaviour.
- 70:53 Unfair challenge on Kenny McLean by Ryan Thomson results in a free kick.
- 67:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nigel Hasselbaink on Paul Burns. Free kick taken by Paul Gallacher.
- 66:54 Outswinging corner taken by Paul Willis, clearance made by Jim Goodwin.
- 65:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by David van Zanten on Joe Cardle. Paul Willis crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, save by Craig Samson.
- 62:55 Assist on the goal came from David Graham.
- 62:55 GOAL - Joe Cardle:St Mirren 2 - 1 Dunfermline Joe Cardle grabs a headed goal from close in. St Mirren 2-1 Dunfermline.
- 61:12 The offside flag is raised against Nigel Hasselbaink. Austin McCann restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:25 Paul Burns gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Paul McGowan. Graham Carey takes the free kick.
- 58:07 Substitution Joe Cardle comes on in place of Patrick Boyle.
- 58:07 Substitution Liam Buchanan leaves the field to be replaced by Andrew Barrowman.
- 56:02 Paul McGowan takes a shot. Blocked by Paul Gallacher.
- 53:24 Shot by Kenny McLean from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 51:35 Shot from just outside the box by Nigel Hasselbaink misses to the left of the goal.
- 50:55 Unfair challenge on Nigel Hasselbaink by Alex Keddie results in a free kick. Jeroen Tesselaar takes the free kick.
- 48:50 Steven Thompson fouled by Paul Willis, the ref awards a free kick. Lee Mair takes the direct free kick.
- 46:11 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Graham Carey, Unfair challenge on John Potter by Marc McAusland results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Paul Gallacher.
- 45:26 Liam Buchanan concedes a free kick for a foul on David van Zanten. Marc McAusland takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:27 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+0:18 The ball is swung over by Steven Thompson,
- 45:00+0:07 Steven Thompson provided the assist for the goal.
- 45:00+0:07 GOAL - Nigel Hasselbaink:St Mirren 2 - 0 Dunfermline Nigel Hasselbaink fires in a goal from close range to the top right corner of the goal. St Mirren 2-0 Dunfermline.
- 44:11 Nigel Hasselbaink takes a shot. Paul Gallacher makes a save.
- 40:52 Corner taken by Paul Willis from the left by-line, Craig Samson makes a save.
- 39:30 Alex Keddie challenges Steven Thompson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Jim Goodwin.
- 38:12 Corner taken right-footed by Paul Willis.
- 37:20 Foul by Lee Mair on Liam Buchanan, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Paul Willis, Andy Kirk takes a shot. Paul Gallacher gets a block in.
- 34:45 Unfair challenge on David Graham by Graham Carey results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Paul Willis, clearance made by Jeroen Tesselaar.
- 32:55 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Jeroen Tesselaar from the left by-line.
- 31:33 Unfair challenge on Jim Goodwin by Andy Kirk results in a free kick. Craig Samson takes the free kick.
- 30:51 Alex Keddie fouled by Kenny McLean, the ref awards a free kick. Paul Gallacher takes the free kick.
- 30:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Burns on Paul McGowan. Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:16 Kenny McLean takes a shot. Paul Gallacher gets a block in.
- 28:15 The ball is sent over by David Graham, Header from close in by Andy Kirk misses to the left of the target.
- Correction - 27:50 David Graham sends in a cross, Close range headed effort by Andy Kirk goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 26:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jim Goodwin by Paul Willis. Jim Goodwin takes the direct free kick.
- 24:51 Assist on the goal came from Nigel Hasselbaink.
- 24:51 GOAL - Kenny McLean:St Mirren 1 - 0 Dunfermline Goal scored by Kenny McLean from close range high into the middle of the goal. St Mirren 1-0 Dunfermline.
- 23:58 Liam Buchanan fouled by Jim Goodwin, the ref awards a free kick. Austin McCann takes the direct free kick.
- 22:47 Unfair challenge on Craig Samson by Patrick Boyle results in a free kick. Craig Samson takes the free kick.
- 22:00 Jim Goodwin challenges Andy Kirk unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Paul Willis.
- 17:12 Direct free kick taken by Kenny McLean, Header on goal by Steven Thompson from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 17:12 Substitution Graham Carey on for Steven Thomson.
- 17:12 Kenny McLean fouled by Paul Willis, the ref awards a free kick.
- 14:48 The official flags Steven Thompson offside. Free kick taken by Paul Gallacher.
- 14:31 Foul by Alex Keddie on Nigel Hasselbaink, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Jim Goodwin.
- 13:30 Paul McGowan takes a shot. Save by Paul Gallacher. Inswinging corner taken by Kenny McLean from the right by-line, Jim Goodwin produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 12:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jim Goodwin by Andy Kirk. Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick.
- 7:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Willis on Nigel Hasselbaink. Direct free kick taken by Craig Samson.
- 7:34 Jeroen Tesselaar gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Paul Burns. Paul Willis restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:51 David Graham produces a right-footed shot from close range which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 5:21 Foul by Paul Burns on Paul McGowan, free kick awarded. Jeroen Tesselaar restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:48 Andy Kirk gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kenny McLean. Jim Goodwin crosses the ball in from the free kick, Jeroen Tesselaar concedes a free kick for a foul on Austin McCann. Austin McCann restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:31 Jim Goodwin takes a shot. Paul Gallacher makes a save.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot