Kilmarnock 3 - 6 Inverness CT
Page last updated at 17:08 GMT, Saturday, 5 November 2011
A hat-trick by Andrew Shinnie and a double from Gregory Tade put the broadest of smiles on Inverness boss Terry Butcher's face at Rugby Park.
Dean Shiels toe-poked Killie ahead from a lovely Paul Heffernan backheel and 22-year-old Shinnie finished a swift move to make it 1-1 at the interval.
Jonny Hayes smashed in Inverness's second, then Shinnie scored either side of a Tade strike, who also hit another.
A Shiels penalty and a Heffernan shot restored some Killie pride.
Inverness made the brighter start and were first to get a shot on target. Their English midfielder David Davis cut inside from the left wing and flashed a dipping shot that Killie keeper Anssi Jaakkola dived to his right to save.
Despite the early Inverness pressure, it was the hosts, unchanged for the fifth game in a row, who took the lead.
Irish striker Paul Heffernan was running away from the Inverness box when his backheel bamboozled the visiting defence.
Shiels was the only player on the pitch to have read the pass: he dashed into the box and slipped the ball past Ryan Esson.
Inverness were making a point of launching high balls into the box while the autumn sun made Jaakkola's job tricky in the Killie goal.
Greg Tansey's free-kick was at a nice height for Jaakkola to gather but, apparently blinded, he merely parried the 25-yard shot, with Hayes in close attendance.
And, moments later, again Jaakkola opted to parry rather than gather and the ball fell for Richie Foran, who cracked the crossbar with a snapshot, though the linesman ruled him offside.
Butcher was inconsolable last weekend when his team somehow lost 3-2 to Motherwell in a game they dominated.
But his players showed no sign of feeling sorry for themselves despite going behind and were worthy of their equaliser after 39 minutes.
The alert Mo Sissoko used one of his lanky legs to concede a corner when Foran was through on goal, but it was from the corner that Inverness fashioned their goal.
Shinnie played a quick one-two with Hayes who played a cute ball into the box for the Scot to chase - his dinked finish from a tight angle was his third goal of the season.
Inverness pushed for another but were denied by a Jaakkola double save on the stroke of half-time, preventing shots from Hayes and Tansey crossing the line.
A Josh Meekings header wide of the target from six yards signalled that Butcher's half-time instructions were to keep attacking.
And in 53 minutes, their talisman Hayes found the back of the net when he was permitted to advance towards the box - his left-foot finish from 25 yards was sublime.
Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels threw on David Silva and James Dayton for James Fowler and Liam Kelly but his side soon collapsed.
The eager Shinnie seized on a slack pass on 60 minutes across the Killie defence and blasted his second of the game, from 22 yards, to make it 3-1.
The best was yet to come, though. Tade stole in to win a header in his own half, then raced on to meet his own clearance, run into the Killie box, round the keeper and slot it home.
In 66 minutes, the combative Davis skipped through a series of mealy-mouthed challenges, feeding Shinnie who, oozing confidence, smacked an effort into from 18 yards for his hat-trick.
Four goals down, Killie managed to clear their heads and pulled a goal back from the spot when Kenny Gillet clipped Dayton as he surged in to the box and Shiels stroked home from 12 yards.
But Inverness scored a sixth with seven minutes remaining, when Shinnie turned goal provider for Tade, who hammered home from the edge of the box.
Heffernan made the score slightly more respectable for the home side when he rifled in a low left-foot shot from the edge of the box for the ninth goal of an astonishing game.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 53 Jaakkola
- 04 Fowler (Silva 59)
- 23 McKeown (Hay 81)
- 26 Pursehouse
- 88 Sissoko yellow card
- 08 Kelly (Dayton 59)
- 09 Buijs
- 11 Harkins
- 20 Shiels yellow card
- 29 Pascali
- 14 Heffernan
- 17 Letheren,
- 03 Hay,
- 13 Kroca,
- 28 Fisher,
- 07 Silva,
- 10 Dayton,
- 22 Racchi
- 01 Esson
- 03 Tokely
- 14 Proctor
- 22 Gillet
- 26 Meekings (Golobart 84)
- 07 Hayes (Chippendale 82)
- 08 Tansey
- 10 Shinnie
- 25 Davis yellow card (Morrison 69)
- 09 Foran
- 15 Tade yellow card
- 12 Tuffey,
- 16 Golobart,
- 19 Shinnie,
- 17 Morrison,
- 20 Chippendale,
- 21 McKay
- Kilmarnock 45%
- Inverness CT 55%
Attempts on target
- Kilmarnock 3
- Inverness CT 10
Attempts off target
- Kilmarnock 1
- Inverness CT 3
- Kilmarnock 3
- Inverness CT 6
- Kilmarnock 12
- Inverness CT 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:01 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00 GOAL - Paul Heffernan:Kilmarnock 3 - 6 Inverness CT Goal scored by Paul Heffernan from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 3-6 Inverness CT.
- 87:01 Richie Foran fouled by Mohamadou Sissoko, the ref awards a free kick. Greg Tansey restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:51 Substitution Josh Meekings leaves the field to be replaced by Roman Golobart.
- 82:51 Assist by Greg Tansey.
- 82:51 GOAL - Gregory Tade:Kilmarnock 2 - 6 Inverness CT Goal scored by Gregory Tade from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 2-6 Inverness CT.
- 82:00 Effort on goal by Gary Harkins from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 82:00 Substitution Aidan Chippendale on for Johnny Hayes.
- 80:17 Substitution Garry Hay replaces Rory McKeown.
- 72:32 GOAL - Dean Shiels:Kilmarnock 2 - 5 Inverness CT Dean Shiels scores a placed penalty. Kilmarnock 2-5 Inverness CT.
- 71:52 Kenny Gillet gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on David Silva.
- 68:10 Substitution Gavin Morrison is brought on as a substitute for David Davis.
- 65:59 Assist by David Davis.
- 65:59 GOAL - Andrew Shinnie:Kilmarnock 1 - 5 Inverness CT Andrew Shinnie grabs a goal from just inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-5 Inverness CT.
- 63:33 David Silva takes a shot from 12 yards. Save made by Ryan Esson.
- 63:00 Gregory Tade has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 61:52 GOAL - Gregory Tade:Kilmarnock 1 - 4 Inverness CT Gregory Tade fires in a goal from the edge of the area low into the middle of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-4 Inverness CT.
- 59:47 GOAL - Andrew Shinnie:Kilmarnock 1 - 3 Inverness CT A goal is scored by Andrew Shinnie from just inside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-3 Inverness CT.
- 59:02 Greg Tansey fouled by Dean Shiels, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Greg Tansey, clearance by Mohamadou Sissoko.
- 58:04 Substitution (Kilmarnock) makes a substitution, with James Dayton coming on for Liam Kelly.
- 58:04 Substitution James Fowler leaves the field to be replaced by David Silva.
- 55:13 Josh Meekings takes a shot. Save made by Anssi Jaakkola.
- 52:28 GOAL - Johnny Hayes:Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Inverness CT Johnny Hayes fires in a goal from outside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-2 Inverness CT.
- 49:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Fowler on Richie Foran. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Greg Tansey from left channel, Anssi Jaakkola makes a save. Greg Tansey gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dean Shiels. Liam Kelly takes the free kick.
- 47:40 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Greg Tansey, Mohamadou Sissoko makes a clearance.
- 46:43 Ross Tokely concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Heffernan. Dean Shiels takes the free kick.
- 45:57 Unfair challenge on Greg Tansey by Danny Buijs results in a free kick. David Davis restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:58 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:53 Johnny Hayes takes a shot. Save by Anssi Jaakkola.
- 41:35 Gary Harkins is adjudged to have handled the ball. Greg Tansey takes the free kick.
- 39:58 Johnny Hayes challenges Rory McKeown unfairly and gives away a free kick. Rory McKeown takes the free kick.
- 38:14 Greg Tansey provided the assist for the goal.
- 38:14 GOAL - Andrew Shinnie:Kilmarnock 1 - 1 Inverness CT Goal scored by Andrew Shinnie from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-1 Inverness CT.
- 37:54 Short corner worked by Greg Tansey,
- 37:12 The official flags Gregory Tade offside. Mohamadou Sissoko restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:12 Unfair challenge on Liam Kelly by David Davis results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Manuel Pascali.
- 31:48 The offside flag is raised against Gregory Tade. Alex Pursehouse restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Danny Buijs on Richie Foran. Free kick taken by Kenny Gillet.
- 29:06 The referee blows for offside against James Fowler. David Proctor takes the indirect free kick.
- 28:19 Dean Shiels decides to take a short corner.
- 26:58 Booking Mohamadou Sissoko shown a yellow card.
- 26:50 Booking Gregory Tade is cautioned.
- 26:00 Booking Booking for Dean Shiels.
- 25:29 Free kick taken by Mohamadou Sissoko.
- 25:29 Booking David Davis is shown a yellow card.
- 25:14 Unfair challenge on Liam Kelly by Richie Foran results in a free kick.
- 24:00 Corner taken by Greg Tansey.
- 23:01 Foul by Ross Tokely on Gary Harkins, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Liam Kelly.
- 20:39 Corner from the left by-line taken by Liam Kelly, Mohamadou Sissoko concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Esson. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Esson.
- 19:32 Andrew Shinnie produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 18:56 Unfair challenge on Johnny Hayes by Liam Kelly results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Greg Tansey.
- 17:35 Greg Tansey gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alex Pursehouse. Anssi Jaakkola restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:14 Richie Foran is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Anssi Jaakkola.
- 16:17 Richie Foran fouled by James Fowler, the ref awards a free kick. David Davis restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mohamadou Sissoko on Richie Foran. Shot on goal comes in from Greg Tansey from the free kick, save made by Anssi Jaakkola.
- 12:00 Assist by Liam Kelly.
- 12:00 GOAL - Dean Shiels:Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Inverness CT Dean Shiels finds the net with a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-0 Inverness CT.
- 9:34 Kenny Gillet fouled by Gary Harkins, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Kenny Gillet. Corner taken short by Greg Tansey.
- 9:05 Shot from just outside the penalty box by Andrew Shinnie misses to the left of the target.
- 8:21 Dean Shiels takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Kenny Gillet.
- 7:00 Corner from the left by-line taken by Greg Tansey, clearance by Mohamadou Sissoko.
- 6:29 Unfair challenge on Mohamadou Sissoko by Gregory Tade results in a free kick. Anssi Jaakkola takes the free kick.
- 5:23 Kenny Gillet has a drilled shot. Save by Anssi Jaakkola.
- 4:36 Foul by Gary Harkins on Kenny Gillet, free kick awarded. Kenny Gillet restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gregory Tade on Dean Shiels. James Fowler takes the free kick.
- 2:42 James Fowler gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Richie Foran. Free kick crossed right-footed by Greg Tansey, save by Anssi Jaakkola.
- 1:43 Greg Tansey decides to take a short corner.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot