Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers
Page last updated at 13:08 GMT, Saturday, 29 October 2011 14:08 UK
An error by goalkeeper Allan McGregor set up a tense finale to a match Rangers looked to have under control.
Kyle Lafferty's clinical shot in 58 minutes put the visitors in front and a Nikica Jelavic penalty doubled their advantage in a bruising league clash.
But with eight minutes to go, McGregor allowed a thumped Ricky Foster 25-yard shot to pass through his gloves.
Dons' Rob Milsom and Rangers' Steven Naismith sustained nasty leg injuries and Rory Fallon was sent off.
The eventual victory at Pittodrie makes it seven away wins on the trot in the Scottish Premier League for leaders Rangers.
There were early signs that the match would be a battle for both sides.
With the ball bobbling around the midfield and each side guilty of gifting possession to the opposition, it was Milsom who displayed the best touches, notably using his gifted left foot to bamboozle Steven Whittaker and cross into the box.
Kari Arnason was cautioned by Willie Collum for a late sliding challenge on visting captain Steven Davis but the Icelandic midfield regained his composure straight away, rifling a right foot shot from 35 yards that McGregor smothered to his left.
Jelavic was back in the Rangers line-up after injury - Lafferty making way for the Croatian striker - and he upset Dons defender Youl Mawene when the pair contested a Naismith cross into the box and Jelavic fell in the box.
Naismith's match was curtailed before the mid-point of the first half. He tackled Milsom clumsily - the Dons man was subbed for a nasty gash on his lower leg - and the little attacker received treatment on his twisted right knee for several minutes, but escaped without a booking.
However, in Naismith's first involvement thereafter he crumpled to the turf, clutching his right knee, and was stretchered off in evident pain.
Darren Mackie came on for the Dons, Lafferty for Rangers: both contributed to chances for their teams.
The Rangers sub whipped a cross from the right touchline that soared over the heads of two Dons defenders at the front post. At the back post, though, Rory McArdle chose to let the ball pass him by, yet Sasa Papac drifted in on his blind-side and headed wide of the gaping goal.
At the other end Chris Clark burst into the box but McGregor was out quickly and made the block.
Mackie made for the loose ball and went down in the box with he and Dorin Goian at full stretch. Replays suggested he had slipped but Dons boss Craig Brown's protestations attracted a telling-off from Collum, who was well placed for the incident.
With no goals at half-time, Rangers had the first chance after the interval.
Whittaker curled a fantastic ball into the box and Jelavic nicked ahead of the Dons defence to meet it with his chest. David Gonzalez made his first telling save of the game at close range and Andrew Considine was sharp to deny Lee McCulloch the follow-up.
Lafferty drew a smart save from Gonzalez with a long-range free-kick before Rangers edged ahead on 58 minutes.
Mawene dithered on the edge of the box, Maurice Edu pounced on a Foster slip and when the ball broke to Davis he coolly slipped the ball to Lafferty on his right for the sub to arrow a low shot into the far corner.
The visitors turned the screw in 70 minutes when Jelavic won a race into the box and crossed for Papac, eight yards from goal, who was scythed by the desperate Mackie.
The Dons striker was booked before Jelavic fired his penalty straight into the middle of the goal.
As the physical encounter continued, Considine was left in Jelavic's wake as he bore down on goal and was shown a yellow card for a brutal challenge to halt the move.
Aberdeen played with renewed vigour in the final period of the game when Foster halved the deficit with a 25-yard smack that McGregor looked to have covered but merely diverted into his goal.
As the game moved into extra-time, Dons striker Rory Fallon was sent off for using an elbow on Goian.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 29 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 20 Gonzalez
- 02 McArdle
- 03 Foster
- 05 Mawene
- 06 Considine yellow card
- 07 Clark (Magennis 88)
- 08 Milsom (Mackie 21 yellow card)
- 11 Arnason yellow card
- 16 Osbourne
- 17 Fyvie (Chalali 64)
- 14 Fallon yellow card, red card
- 32 Brown,
- 13 Robertson,
- 34 Grimmer,
- 10 Mackie,
- 18 Chalali,
- 21 Magennis,
- 23 Megginson
- 01 McGregor
- 02 Goian
- 05 Papac
- 12 Wallace
- 16 Whittaker
- 18 Bocanegra
- 06 McCulloch
- 07 Edu yellow card
- 08 Davis
- 09 Jelavic yellow card
- 14 Naismith (Lafferty 24)
- 25 Alexander,
- 04 Broadfoot,
- 27 Wylde,
- 20 McKay,
- 41 McCabe,
- 10 Fleck,
- 11 Lafferty
- Aberdeen 46%
- Rangers 54%
Attempts on target
- Aberdeen 5
- Rangers 5
Attempts off target
- Aberdeen 2
- Rangers 4
- Aberdeen 1
- Rangers 2
- Aberdeen 16
- Rangers 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:32 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+1:48 Nikica Jelavic is ruled offside. Direct free kick taken by David Gonzalez.
- 90:00+0:36 Steven Whittaker restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:36 Sent off Rory Fallon receives a red card.
- 90:00+0:10 Unfair challenge on Dorin Goian by Rory Fallon results in a free kick.
- 88:38 Free kick taken by Richard Foster.
- 88:38 Booking Nikica Jelavic is cautioned.
- 88:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrew Considine by Nikica Jelavic.
- 87:46 Substitution Josh Magennis is brought on as a substitute for Chris Clark.
- 86:37 Corner taken by Steven Davis, save by David Gonzalez.
- 86:13 Corner taken by Steven Davis played to the near post, Andrew Considine manages to make a clearance.
- 85:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nikica Jelavic on Youl Mawene. Youl Mawene restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:47 The ball is swung over by Chris Clark, save made by Allan McGregor.
- 83:56 Kyle Lafferty concedes a free kick for a foul on Rory McArdle. Free kick taken by Youl Mawene.
- 83:14 Dorin Goian takes the free kick.
- 83:14 Booking Rory Fallon is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 83:07 Rory Fallon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee McCulloch.
- 81:39 GOAL - Richard Foster:Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers Richard Foster grabs a goal from outside the penalty area high into the middle of the goal. Aberdeen 1-2 Rangers.
- 80:06 The ball is swung over by Lee Wallace, clearance made by Andrew Considine.
- 79:02 Rory Fallon challenges Lee McCulloch unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Dorin Goian.
- 78:15 Sasa Papac takes a shot. Save by David Gonzalez.
- 77:20 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Mohamed Chalali misses to the left of the target.
- 77:04 The ball is crossed by Chris Clark, clearance by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 75:05 Steven Whittaker restarts play with the free kick.
- 75:05 Booking Andrew Considine is cautioned.
- 74:59 Andrew Considine gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nikica Jelavic.
- 72:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sasa Papac on Kari Arnason. Isaac Osbourne takes the direct free kick.
- 71:54 Rory McArdle gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sasa Papac. Carlos Bocanegra restarts play with the free kick.
- 69:31 GOAL - Nikica Jelavic:Aberdeen 0 - 2 Rangers Nikica Jelavic scores a placed penalty. Aberdeen 0-2 Rangers.
- 68:18 Booking Darren Mackie is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 67:44 The ball is sent over by Nikica Jelavic, Darren Mackie concedes a Penalty for a foul on Sasa Papac.
- 66:35 Shot by Kyle Lafferty from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 66:05 Unfair challenge on Steven Whittaker by Andrew Considine results in a free kick. Allan McGregor takes the direct free kick.
- 64:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sasa Papac on Kari Arnason. Shot comes in from Kari Arnason from the free kick.
- 63:38 Substitution Mohamed Chalali comes on in place of Fraser Fyvie.
- 57:33 Steven Davis provided the assist for the goal.
- 57:33 GOAL - Kyle Lafferty:Aberdeen 0 - 1 Rangers Goal scored by Kyle Lafferty from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers.
- 56:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Clark on Maurice Edu. Kyle Lafferty has a direct shot on goal from the free kick, save by David Gonzalez.
- 54:42 A cross is delivered by Lee Wallace, Andrew Considine makes a clearance.
- 53:47 Unfair challenge on Isaac Osbourne by Steven Davis results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Andrew Considine.
- 52:55 Lee McCulloch fouled by Kari Arnason, the ref awards a free kick. Carlos Bocanegra restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:17 Foul by Kari Arnason on Kyle Lafferty, free kick awarded. Sasa Papac restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:33 Effort from inside the area by Lee McCulloch misses to the left of the target.
- 50:47 Steven Davis produces a cross, clearance by Rory McArdle.
- 48:50 Rory Fallon challenges Carlos Bocanegra unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dorin Goian takes the free kick.
- 47:56 Youl Mawene concedes a free kick for a foul on Kyle Lafferty. Free kick crossed right-footed by Steven Davis from left wing, save made by David Gonzalez.
- 47:01 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 46:06 A cross is delivered by Youl Mawene.
- 45:48 Nikica Jelavic takes a shot. Blocked by Youl Mawene.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:46 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+1:34 Fraser Fyvie delivers the ball, clearance by Steven Davis.
- 44:51 A cross is delivered by Steven Whittaker, clearance made by Andrew Considine.
- 42:57 Lee McCulloch takes a shot. Andrew Considine gets a block in.
- 42:20 Foul by Rory Fallon on Carlos Bocanegra, free kick awarded. Allan McGregor restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:54 Kyle Lafferty challenges Andrew Considine unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Andrew Considine.
- 37:28 Andrew Considine takes the direct free kick.
- 37:28 Booking The referee shows Maurice Edu a yellow card.
- 37:21 Maurice Edu gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kari Arnason.
- 34:45 Nikica Jelavic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Isaac Osbourne. Free kick taken by Isaac Osbourne.
- 33:43 Rory Fallon takes a shot. Save made by Allan McGregor.
- 31:48 Chris Clark takes a shot. Save made by Allan McGregor.
- 31:12 Centre by Fraser Fyvie, Dorin Goian manages to make a clearance.
- 30:27 Fraser Fyvie takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Kyle Lafferty.
- 30:19 Centre by Richard Foster, clearance by Lee Wallace.
- 28:08 Centre by Kyle Lafferty, Sasa Papac has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 27:49 Lee Wallace crosses the ball, clearance made by Rory McArdle.
- 27:10 Isaac Osbourne gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Maurice Edu. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Steven Davis from right channel, clearance by Richard Foster.
- 24:33 Shot from long distance by Dorin Goian misses to the right of the target.
- 23:14 Substitution Steven Naismith goes off and Kyle Lafferty comes on.
- 20:46 Substitution Darren Mackie on for Robert Milsom.
- 20:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Steven Naismith by Kari Arnason. Steven Davis takes the direct free kick.
- 16:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Robert Milsom by Steven Naismith. Andrew Considine takes the direct free kick.
- 10:37 Steven Davis challenges Richard Foster unfairly and gives away a free kick. David Gonzalez takes the free kick.
- 9:31 Kari Arnason takes a shot. Save made by Allan McGregor.
- 7:40 Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 7:40 Booking Kari Arnason booked.
- 7:31 Steven Davis fouled by Kari Arnason, the ref awards a free kick.
- 6:59 Foul by Steven Davis on Andrew Considine, free kick awarded. David Gonzalez restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:44 Robert Milsom delivers the ball.
- 2:13 The ball is crossed by Steven Davis, save made by David Gonzalez.
- 1:23 Robert Milsom takes a shot and missed to the left of the net.
- 0:46 Sasa Papac challenges Youl Mawene unfairly and gives away a free kick. Youl Mawene takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot