Hearts 0 - 2 Rangers
Page last updated at 13:32 GMT, Sunday, 23 October 2011 14:32 UK
Rangers extended their lead in the Scottish Premier League to nine points with victory at Tynecastle.
Steven Whittaker set up Steven Naismith's strike for the opening goal after 20 minutes.
Substitute Nikica Jelavic heaped more misery on an industrious Hearts side when he volleyed a second with 15 minutes left.
The result maintains Rangers' clean sheet in six victories away from home in the league this season.
Jelavic had failed to make the starting line-up after struggling with a virus but was named on the bench, with Kyle Lafferty up front as a lone striker.
Hearts named an unchanged side for the fourth consecutive game and it was the home side who started brightest.
Having defeated Celtic at Tynecastle earlier this month, Paulo Sergio's side also dominated possession in the opening quarter of an hour against Ally McCoist's side, with Ryan Stevenson threatening in attack and David Templeton causing problems for Whittaker, leading to a booking for the Scotland international with 10 minutes gone.
But the home side's dominance was to be short-lived in this match, Rangers grabbing their opener with 20 minutes gone.
Maurice Edu fed a pass to Whittaker just inside the Rangers half, the defender powering forward through a clutter of Hearts players to find the run of Naismith, who escaped his marker and fired home under goalkeeper Marion Kello.
Rangers had the opportunity to extend that lead in the 35th minute, when Steven Davis's corner found Carlos Bocanegra in front of goal and the American's initial strike cleared by Eggert Jonsson only to fall to Maurice Edu.
The midfielder took a touch but could not compose himself, his shot firing over Kello's crossbar.
But there were heart-stopping moments for the Scottish Premier League champions in the run up to half-time with three further chances for the home side in the space of five minutes.
Ian Black hit a hopeful ball from his own half that appeared to catch the Rangers defence offguard, but a late pincer movement from Lee Wallace and Bocanegra thwarted Ryan Stevenson's run, poking the ball beyond Allan McGregor's post.
The pre-interval onslaught continued, with McGregor forced to make his first real save of the match when Rudi Skacel unleashed a driving shot from 25 yards out.
Next up was Stevenson, who was booked after appearing to use an arm as he attempted to nod home from close range.
After the restart, Lafferty found himself with a half chance within seconds, his shot inside the penalty box sailing over the bar.
That spurred Hearts into action, with Bocanegra forced to clear with his head from a volleyed chance from Jonsson, seconds after a dangerous looking ball from Adrian Mrowiec crossed the face of the Rangers goalmouth.
There was concern for the lively Templeton just before the hour mark when his studs appeared to stick in the Tynecastle surface, the winger able to continue after treatment from what looked a more serious injury.
It was a rejuvenated Templeton's invention that created a gilt-edged chance for an equaliser five minutes later.
He danced around Doran Goian on the left channel before crossing the ball in to Mrowiec, who lacked composure as his left footed shot went wide of the target from five yards.
That was the cue for the introduction of Jelavic, who replaced Lafferty, while Sasa Papac gave way to Gregg Wylde for the last 18 minutes of the match.
The Croat's impact was immediate despite his absence from training in recent days through illness. A long ball from Bocanegra required the striker to evade the attentions of Zaliukas, his volleyed diagonal finish flashing past a helpless Kello to double Rangers' advantage.
Templeton continued to be industrious, forcing a double save from McGregor just seconds after Jelavic's strike, but Hearts were limited in their opportunities in the later stages as Rangers' impressive away form continued.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 23 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Kello
- 03 Grainger yellow card
- 06 Webster
- 26 Zaliukas yellow card
- 02 Hamill
- 04 Jonsson (Taouil 79)
- 08 Black yellow card (Smith 83)
- 12 Templeton
- 16 Stevenson yellow card
- 19 Skacel (Obua 84)
- 31 Mrowiec
- 30 MacDonald,
- 13 Obua,
- 17 McGowan,
- 21 Taouil,
- 18 Novikovas,
- 22 Smith,
- 27 Robinson
- 01 McGregor
- 02 Goian yellow card
- 05 Papac (Wylde 72)
- 12 Wallace
- 16 Whittaker yellow card (Broadfoot 77)
- 18 Bocanegra
- 06 McCulloch
- 07 Edu
- 08 Davis
- 11 Lafferty (Jelavic 72)
- 14 Naismith
- 25 Alexander,
- 04 Broadfoot,
- 27 Wylde,
- 32 Perry,
- 21 Bedoya,
- 09 Jelavic,
- 10 Fleck
- Hearts 51%
- Rangers 49%
Attempts on target
- Hearts 12
- Rangers 4
Attempts off target
- Hearts 4
- Rangers 3
- Hearts 6
- Rangers 3
- Hearts 12
- Rangers 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:16 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:46 Mehdi Taouil decides to take the corner short.
- 90:00+2:31 Gordon Smith takes a shot. Blocked by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 89:33 Free kick crossed right-footed by Steven Davis.
- 89:33 Booking Marius Zaliukas is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 89:14 Steven Naismith fouled by Marius Zaliukas, the ref awards a free kick.
- 86:50 Mehdi Taouil fouled by Steven Davis, the ref awards a free kick. Mehdi Taouil restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:22 Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 82:22 Substitution David Obua joins the action as a substitute, replacing Rudi Skacel.
- 82:22 Substitution Gordon Smith comes on in place of Ian Black.
- 82:22 Booking Caution for Ian Black.
- 82:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ian Black on Steven Naismith.
- 81:29 Ian Black sends in a cross, Steven Davis manages to make a clearance.
- 79:41 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dorin Goian by Ryan Stevenson. Allan McGregor takes the free kick.
- 78:54 Marian Kello restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:54 Substitution Mehdi Taouil replaces Eggert Jonsson.
- 78:54 The referee blows for offside.
- 76:35 Substitution Steven Whittaker leaves the field to be replaced by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 75:59 Ryan Stevenson takes a shot. Save by Allan McGregor.
- 75:42 Ryan Stevenson takes a shot. Save by Allan McGregor.
- 75:16 Steven Davis takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Blocked by Marius Zaliukas.
- 73:42 The assist for the goal came from Carlos Bocanegra.
- 73:42 GOAL - Nikica Jelavic:Hearts 0 - 2 Rangers Nikica Jelavic fires in a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Hearts 0-2 Rangers.
- 71:21 Substitution Kyle Lafferty leaves the field to be replaced by Nikica Jelavic.
- 71:21 Substitution Gregg Wylde is brought on as a substitute for Sasa Papac.
- 70:25 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Jamie Hamill from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Kyle Lafferty.
- 68:48 The ball is crossed by Jamie Hamill, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Marius Zaliukas misses to the right of the target.
- 68:48 Booking Booking for Dorin Goian for unsporting behaviour.
- 68:29 Dorin Goian concedes a free kick for a foul on David Templeton.
- 67:29 Unfair challenge on Lee Wallace by Adrian Mrowiec results in a free kick. Allan McGregor restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:06 David Templeton takes a shot. Dorin Goian gets a block in.
- 66:17 Corner taken by Daniel Grainger from the right by-line, clearance by Maurice Edu.
- 65:15 Adrian Mrowiec has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 62:12 The assistant referee signals for offside against Adrian Mrowiec. Allan McGregor takes the free kick.
- 62:00 Eggert Jonsson takes a shot. Save by Allan McGregor.
- 54:45 Lee Wallace concedes a free kick for a foul on Adrian Mrowiec. Andy Webster takes the direct free kick.
- 53:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Steven Davis by Eggert Jonsson. Free kick crossed by Steven Davis, Eggert Jonsson manages to make a clearance.
- 52:25 Ian Black challenges Steven Whittaker unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sasa Papac restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:02 Lee Wallace challenges Andy Webster unfairly and gives away a free kick. Marian Kello restarts play with the free kick.
- 49:14 Shot by Eggert Jonsson. Blocked by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 49:06 Daniel Grainger produces a cross, clearance made by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 48:59 Adrian Mrowiec crosses the ball.
- 47:24 Marius Zaliukas fouled by Maurice Edu, the ref awards a free kick. Daniel Grainger takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 It is the end of the first-half.
- 44:58 Unfair challenge on Andy Webster by Kyle Lafferty results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Marian Kello.
- 44:31 Allan McGregor takes the free kick.
- 44:31 Booking Ryan Stevenson goes into the book.
- 44:28 Ryan Stevenson is adjudged to have handled the ball.
- 44:06 The ball is swung over by Ryan Stevenson, clearance made by Dorin Goian.
- 43:50 Rudi Skacel takes a shot. Allan McGregor makes a save.
- 42:20 Inswinging corner taken by Jamie Hamill from the left by-line, Carlos Bocanegra makes a clearance.
- 40:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marius Zaliukas by Kyle Lafferty. Andy Webster takes the direct free kick.
- 39:54 The assistant referee signals for offside against David Templeton. Allan McGregor restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:53 Steven Naismith concedes a free kick for a foul on Marius Zaliukas. Marian Kello takes the free kick.
- 37:44 Jamie Hamill fouled by Lee Wallace, the ref awards a free kick. Daniel Grainger delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Steven Whittaker manages to make a clearance.
- 37:09 The assistant referee signals for offside against Steven Naismith. Indirect free kick taken by Marian Kello.
- 34:35 Corner taken by Steven Davis from the right by-line, Effort on goal by Maurice Edu from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 33:29 The referee penalises Lee Wallace for handball. Marian Kello takes the free kick.
- 32:29 Maurice Edu concedes a free kick for a foul on David Templeton. Direct free kick taken by Daniel Grainger.
- 31:32 Lee McCulloch concedes a free kick for a foul on Ian Black. Direct free kick taken by Daniel Grainger.
- 30:08 Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 30:08 Booking Daniel Grainger shown a yellow card.
- 30:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Maurice Edu by Daniel Grainger.
- 29:02 Unfair challenge on Carlos Bocanegra by David Templeton results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 28:01 Steven Whittaker challenges David Templeton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Daniel Grainger takes the free kick.
- 27:29 A cross is delivered by Eggert Jonsson.
- 26:30 Ryan Stevenson takes a shot. Blocked by Dorin Goian.
- 26:21 Daniel Grainger takes a shot. Carlos Bocanegra gets a block in.
- 25:45 Corner taken short by Jamie Hamill.
- 24:52 Kyle Lafferty is ruled offside. Marian Kello restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by David Templeton on Steven Davis. Steven Davis delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, clearance by Adrian Mrowiec.
- 22:21 Unfair challenge on Lee McCulloch by Ian Black results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 20:19 Assist on the goal came from Steven Whittaker.
- 20:19 GOAL - Steven Naismith:Hearts 0 - 1 Rangers Steven Naismith finds the net with a goal from inside the area low into the middle of the goal. Hearts 0-1 Rangers.
- 18:49 Sasa Papac takes the inswinging corner, Header on goal by Lee McCulloch from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 16:29 Carlos Bocanegra handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Daniel Grainger.
- 13:35 Jamie Hamill delivers the ball.
- 13:22 Centre by Daniel Grainger, Carlos Bocanegra manages to make a clearance.
- 11:57 Ian Black gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Whittaker. Free kick taken by Steven Davis.
- 10:30 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Jamie Hamill from the left by-line, Ryan Stevenson takes a shot. Blocked by Dorin Goian.
- 10:07 David Templeton takes the direct free kick.
- 10:07 Booking Steven Whittaker receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 9:54 Steven Whittaker challenges David Templeton unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 8:21 Outswinging corner taken by Steven Davis from the right by-line played to the near post, Maurice Edu produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 8:14 Maurice Edu takes a shot. Daniel Grainger gets a block in.
- 7:36 Ian Black challenges Maurice Edu unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steven Davis restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:33 Shot from outside the box by Andy Webster misses to the left of the target.
- 6:27 A cross is delivered by Steven Whittaker, clearance by Andy Webster.
- 5:52 Daniel Grainger takes a shot. Steven Whittaker gets a block in.
- 4:31 Ian Black produces a left-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 3:26 Foul by Steven Whittaker on Ian Black, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed by Daniel Grainger, clearance made by Dorin Goian.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier table snapshot