Dundee Utd 0 - 0 St Johnstone
Page last updated at 15:53 GMT, Saturday, 22 October 2011 16:53 UK
St Johnstone began life after Derek McInnes with a goalless draw with Tayside rivals Dundee United.
Saints, with Alec Cleland and club captain Jody Morris in charge following McInnes's departure to Bristol City, came close with Frazer Wright's header.
United's Lauri Dalle Valle was also prominent, having a shot saved and twice heading off target.
The hosts came closest to scoring when Garry Kenneth's long-range free kick clipped the crossbar.
St Johnstone move a point above fifth-place Hearts and level on points with third-place Celtic, the latter two teams playing on Sunday, while United slip to 10th.
With the two sides having battled out a 3-3 draw in August, fans were hoping to see another exciting derby, but the tone for a dour match was set in a disappointing first half.
Dalla Valle got in behind the Perth side's defence to get in a shot that was saved by goalkeeper Peter Enckelman.
Saints' Kevin Moon had an effort held by goalkeeper Dusan Pernis and Marcus Haber was also unsuccessful in front of the United goal.
Dalla Valle ended a good passive move by heading Keith Watson's cross over the bar and, from another centre from the full-back, Barry Douglas was unable to make a firm connection.
Wright's mis-hit clearance looped perilously towards his own goal but dropped over the bar, much to the St Johnstone defender's relief.
The defender threatened to score at the other end when he met Liam Craig's free kick with a header, also over.
John Rankin's effort was held by Enckelman as the half wound down.
United had a free kick around 35 yards out at the start of the second half and Garry Kenneth tried his luck with a shot and almost succeeded, the effort clipping the crossbar on its way out.
Dalla Valle was off target again when he headed Rankin's teasing cross wide.
Douglas was next to try to add the finishing touch to a Watson delivery but headed wide at the back post and picked up a knock in the process, prompting his being replaced by Johnny Russell.
Francisco Sandaza was booked for simulation after going to ground in the United box under pressure from Gavin Gunning.
Saints mounted a late rally in the hope of snatching a winner, but Pernis's save from Dave MacKay's header brought the match to a close.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 22 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Dundee Utd||0-0||St Johnstone||FT|
- 01 Pernis
- 03 Dixon
- 05 Kenneth
- 12 Watson yellow card
- 14 Douglas (Russell 65)
- 18 Gunning
- 06 Flood yellow card (Allan 81)
- 08 Robertson
- 11 Rankin
- 09 Daly
- 19 Dalla Valle (Dow 77)
- 13 Banks,
- 16 Armstrong,
- 17 Mackay-Steven,
- 20 Allan,
- 15 Russell,
- 22 Dow,
- 42 Barrett
- 01 Enckelman
- 02 MacKay
- 03 Davidson
- 05 Wright
- 06 Anderson
- 04 Morris
- 07 Millar
- 10 Craig (Gibson 80)
- 14 Moon
- 21 Sandaza yellow card
- 23 Haber (Finnigan 65 yellow card)
- 15 Mannus,
- 12 Maybury,
- 25 Durnan,
- 26 Caddis,
- 22 Gibson,
- 27 May,
- 19 Finnigan
- Dundee Utd 48%
- St Johnstone 52%
Attempts on target
- Dundee Utd 4
- St Johnstone 0
Attempts off target
- Dundee Utd 5
- St Johnstone 1
- Dundee Utd 1
- St Johnstone 3
- Dundee Utd 12
- St Johnstone 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:26 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 87:37 Scott Allan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Francisco Sandaza. Frazer Wright takes the free kick.
- 84:12 Corner taken by William Gibson from the right by-line, clearance made by Johnny Russell.
- 81:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Scott Allan on William Gibson. Callum Davidson restarts play with the free kick.
- 80:10 Substitution Willo Flood goes off and Scott Allan comes on.
- 79:04 Corner taken by Jody Morris, clearance by Garry Kenneth.
- 79:04 Substitution William Gibson on for Liam Craig.
- 76:48 Callum Davidson challenges Jon Daly unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Paul Dixon.
- 76:12 Substitution (Dundee Utd) makes a substitution, with Ryan Dow coming on for Lauri Dalla Valle.
- 75:40 Booking Booking for Francisco Sandaza for unsporting behaviour.
- 73:29 Kevin Moon challenges Keith Watson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Garry Kenneth restarts play with the free kick.
- 70:32 Keith Watson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Liam Craig.
- 70:30 Liam Craig takes the indirect free kick.
- 70:30 Booking Keith Watson is given a yellow card.
- 68:25 John Rankin takes a shot. Save by Peter Enckelman.
- 67:18 Booking Carl Finnigan is cautioned.
- 64:34 Substitution Johnny Russell replaces Barry Douglas.
- 64:14 Substitution Carl Finnigan on for Marcus Haber.
- Correction - 60:17 Foul by Gavin Gunning on Marcus Haber, free kick awarded. Indirect free kick taken by Liam Craig.
- 60:17 Gavin Gunning concedes a free kick for a foul on Marcus Haber. Liam Craig takes the indirect free kick.
- 55:55 Lauri Dalla Valle takes a shot. Save by Peter Enckelman.
- 54:17 Liam Craig gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Robertson. Indirect free kick taken by Garry Kenneth.
- 52:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jon Daly on Frazer Wright. Indirect free kick taken by Peter Enckelman.
- 51:40 John Rankin produces a cross, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Lauri Dalla Valle misses to the right of the goal.
- 47:12 Foul by Frazer Wright on Lauri Dalla Valle, free kick awarded. Garry Kenneth has an effort direct from the free kick,
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:34 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+1:08 John Rankin takes a shot. Save by Peter Enckelman.
- 45:00+0:09 Frazer Wright concedes a free kick for a foul on Lauri Dalla Valle. Paul Dixon restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:20 Callum Davidson fouled by Willo Flood, the ref awards a free kick.
- 44:02 Callum Davidson takes the free kick.
- 44:02 Booking Booking for Willo Flood for unsporting behaviour.
- 43:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Millar on Lauri Dalla Valle. Paul Dixon restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:19 Willo Flood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Callum Davidson. Callum Davidson restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:32 Foul by John Rankin on Liam Craig, free kick awarded. Steven Anderson restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:01 Free kick awarded for a foul by John Rankin on Francisco Sandaza. Liam Craig restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:18 Willo Flood takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Callum Davidson manages to make a clearance.
- 29:40 Francisco Sandaza is ruled offside. Garry Kenneth restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:34 Francisco Sandaza is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Keith Watson restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:26 Lauri Dalla Valle fouled by Frazer Wright, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Barry Douglas.
- 19:52 Liam Craig fouled by Willo Flood, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Peter Enckelman.
- 15:26 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Lauri Dalla Valle goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 12:53 Inswinging corner taken by Liam Craig, Marcus Haber takes a shot. Save by Dusan Pernis.
- 9:23 Effort on goal by Willo Flood from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 8:44 John Rankin fouled by Kevin Moon, the ref awards a free kick. Strike comes in from Barry Douglas from the free kick, clearance made by Steven Anderson.
- 6:13 Foul by Scott Robertson on Callum Davidson, free kick awarded. Liam Craig takes the indirect free kick.
- 4:59 Lauri Dalla Valle takes a shot. Save made by Peter Enckelman.
- 1:14 Foul by Barry Douglas on David MacKay, free kick awarded. Peter Enckelman takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot