Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee Utd
Page last updated at 15:57 GMT, Saturday, 15 October 2011 16:57 UK
Aberdeen moved closer to the top six of the Scottish Premier League with victory over Dundee United.
Kari Arnason put the Pittodrie side ahead after 14 minutes with a close-range strike.
A header from Frenchman Youl Mawene and an Andrew Considine strike extended their lead in the second half.
A tap-in from Lauri Dalla Valle gave consolation to the travelling fans with 11 minutes remaining, but United were unable to match a dominant Dons side.
Aberdeen manager Craig Brown had stuck with the same team that beat Dunfermline 4-0, with Scott Vernon again partnered by New Zealand international Rory Fallon in attack.
United, meanwhile, made two changes, with youngster Johnny Russell and Scott Allan handed starts in place of the injured Keith Watson and Ryan Dow.
Peter Houston's side made an encouraging start, with Russell's snap-shot from the edge of the box drawing a fine save from David Gonzalez after only five minutes.
But it was Aberdeen who made the breakthrough with almost quarter of an hour gone.
Fraser Fyvie's corner found Fallon, whose downward header was well kept out by Pernis, but Iceland international Arnason was on hand to scoop the ball into the roof of the net from close range.
The home support were appealing for a penalty after 28 minutes when Rob Milsom tumbled in the box under pressure from Willo Flood.
Craig Brown's side came close to doubling their advantage a couple of minutes later when Fallon was unable to turn the ball home after a tantalising cross from Fyvie.
United had a penalty appeal of their own turned down before the break when Danny Swanson looked to have been clipped by Ryan Jack, but referee Willie Collum waved away the protests.
Swanson failed to recover from the challenge and was replaced with Lauri Dalla Valle after 41 minutes.
There was to be no resurgence for United after the restart, though, with Mawene doubling Aberdeen's advantage with just five minutes played.
Ricky Foster flighted in a measured free-kick that found the head of the Frenchman who calmly nodded into an empty net from inside the six-yard box.
Houston took the opportunity to make changes, introducing Gary MacKay-Steven to replace Russell after the youngster failed to impress.
However, worse was to come with an hour gone, when a stramash inside the box led to a third for Aberdeen.
United failed to clear a Rob Milsom free-kick, allowing both Mawene and Foster attempts at goal, before Considine allowed the ball to bounce before slotting it into the left-hand corner of Pernis's goal.
There was consolation for United when substitute Stuart Armstrong made a run from midfield and delivered a ball across the face of goal, with Dalla Valle lurking to tap it home.
However, a comeback did not materialise, allowing Aberdeen to notch up back-to-back home wins.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 15 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 20 Gonzalez
- 03 Foster
- 05 Mawene
- 06 Considine
- 08 Milsom
- 11 Arnason
- 16 Osbourne
- 17 Fyvie (Clark 78)
- 22 Jack
- 09 Vernon yellow card (Mackie 90)
- 14 Fallon (Magennis 74)
- 32 Brown,
- 02 McArdle,
- 07 Clark,
- 15 Pawlett,
- 10 Mackie,
- 18 Chalali,
- 21 Magennis
- 01 Pernis
- 03 Dixon yellow card
- 05 Kenneth
- 18 Gunning yellow card
- 06 Flood
- 08 Robertson
- 10 Swanson (Dalla Valle 41)
- 11 Rankin
- 20 Allan (Armstrong 72)
- 09 Daly
- 15 Russell (Mackay-Steven 53)
- 13 Banks,
- 14 Douglas,
- 16 Armstrong,
- 17 Mackay-Steven,
- 19 Dalla Valle,
- 22 Dow,
- 23 Hilson
- Aberdeen 58%
- Dundee Utd 42%
Attempts on target
- Aberdeen 3
- Dundee Utd 1
Attempts off target
- Aberdeen 3
- Dundee Utd 6
- Aberdeen 2
- Dundee Utd 7
- Aberdeen 16
- Dundee Utd 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:00 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+1:23 The official flags Darren Mackie offside. Direct free kick taken by Garry Kenneth.
- 90:00+0:29 Gary Mackay-Steven takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Ryan Jack.
- 89:31 Substitution Darren Mackie joins the action as a substitute, replacing Scott Vernon.
- 87:06 Booking Gavin Gunning is shown a yellow card.
- 85:24 Unfair challenge on Gary Mackay-Steven by Kari Arnason results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Gavin Gunning.
- 84:29 Effort on goal by Paul Dixon from 35 yards missed to the left of the target.
- 83:45 Robert Milsom takes a outswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Paul Dixon.
- 82:52 The ball is swung over by Willo Flood, Lauri Dalla Valle takes a shot.
- 81:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Robert Milsom on John Rankin. Paul Dixon takes the direct free kick.
- 80:27 The ball is sent over by Willo Flood, Andrew Considine manages to make a clearance.
- 78:45 Assist on the goal came from Stuart Armstrong.
- 78:45 GOAL - Lauri Dalla Valle:Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee Utd Lauri Dalla Valle scores a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Aberdeen 3-1 Dundee Utd.
- 77:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Scott Vernon on Gary Mackay-Steven. Free kick taken by Dusan Pernis.
- 77:08 Substitution Chris Clark joins the action as a substitute, replacing Fraser Fyvie.
- 76:04 Scott Vernon challenges Garry Kenneth unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Garry Kenneth.
- 75:06 Willo Flood takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post.
- 74:45 A cross is delivered by Paul Dixon.
- 73:01 Substitution Josh Magennis joins the action as a substitute, replacing Rory Fallon.
- 72:27 Gary Mackay-Steven challenges Robert Milsom unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Andrew Considine.
- 71:40 Corner taken by Gary Mackay-Steven from the left by-line played to the near post.
- 71:40 Substitution Stuart Armstrong on for Scott Allan.
- 71:20 Kari Arnason has an effort at goal from just outside the penalty area hitting the post.
- 69:51 Long range effort from Kari Arnason misses to the left of the target.
- 69:23 The ball is swung over by Kari Arnason, Gavin Gunning manages to make a clearance.
- 68:16 Foul by Scott Allan on Fraser Fyvie, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Youl Mawene.
- 67:11 Foul by Willo Flood on Isaac Osbourne, free kick awarded. Richard Foster takes the direct free kick.
- 66:13 Paul Dixon delivers the ball.
- 64:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kari Arnason on Gary Mackay-Steven. Direct free kick taken by Scott Allan.
- 63:20 Booking Booking for Scott Vernon for unsporting behaviour.
- 63:14 Unfair challenge on Willo Flood by Scott Vernon results in a free kick. Willo Flood takes the free kick.
- 61:44 Booking Paul Dixon goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 61:27 Ryan Jack crosses the ball, clearance by Gavin Gunning.
- 60:49 Andrew Considine produces a cross, save made by Dusan Pernis.
- 59:28 GOAL - Andrew Considine:Aberdeen 3 - 0 Dundee Utd Andrew Considine scores a goal from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Aberdeen 3-0 Dundee Utd.
- 58:54 Gary Mackay-Steven challenges Fraser Fyvie unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Robert Milsom.
- 56:34 The ball is swung over by Paul Dixon.
- 56:02 Foul by Fraser Fyvie on Gary Mackay-Steven, free kick awarded. Paul Dixon takes the direct free kick.
- 54:16 Kari Arnason fouled by Scott Allan, the ref awards a free kick. Ryan Jack restarts play with the free kick. Scott Vernon is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Dusan Pernis takes the direct free kick.
- 53:48 Shot from just outside the area by Robert Milsom misses to the right of the target.
- 52:57 Foul by Jon Daly on Andrew Considine, free kick awarded. Andrew Considine takes the free kick.
- 52:20 Substitution Gary Mackay-Steven on for Johnny Russell.
- 50:15 GOAL - Youl Mawene:Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dundee Utd Youl Mawene gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Aberdeen 2-0 Dundee Utd.
- 49:51 Garry Kenneth challenges Rory Fallon unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Richard Foster,
- 47:43 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Dusan Pernis.
- 47:01 Gavin Gunning produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the target.
- 46:12 Kari Arnason challenges Scott Allan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gavin Gunning.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:06 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 41:57 Scott Robertson concedes a free kick for a foul on Kari Arnason. Youl Mawene restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:01 Substitution Lauri Dalla Valle is brought on as a substitute for Danny Swanson.
- 40:01 Scott Allan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kari Arnason. Ryan Jack restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:26 Effort on goal by Danny Swanson from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 36:35 Foul by Danny Swanson on Rory Fallon, free kick awarded. Indirect free kick taken by Ryan Jack.
- 30:55 Corner taken by Danny Swanson from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance by Ryan Jack.
- 29:28 Robert Milsom takes a shot. Dusan Pernis makes a save.
- 28:28 The ball is sent over by Fraser Fyvie.
- 28:18 The ball is swung over by Robert Milsom.
- 26:06 Paul Dixon delivers the ball.
- 25:24 Foul by Isaac Osbourne on Danny Swanson, free kick awarded. John Rankin takes the free kick.
- 23:45 Foul by Rory Fallon on Gavin Gunning, free kick awarded. Garry Kenneth takes the direct free kick.
- 22:51 The ball is swung over by Richard Foster, Gavin Gunning manages to make a clearance.
- 21:51 Scott Robertson fouled by Isaac Osbourne, the ref awards a free kick. Shot on goal comes in from Scott Allan from the free kick.
- 20:27 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Allan by Robert Milsom.
- 19:39 Rory Fallon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Allan. Direct free kick taken by Scott Allan.
- 16:37 Richard Foster sends in a cross.
- 13:53 GOAL - Kari Arnason:Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee Utd Kari Arnason grabs a goal from close range to the top right corner of the goal. Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee Utd.
- 13:27 Inswinging corner taken by Fraser Fyvie from the left by-line,
- 13:13 The ball is sent over by Ryan Jack, Paul Dixon gets a block in.
- 8:26 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Paul Dixon by Andrew Considine. Paul Dixon takes the direct free kick.
- 6:43 Corner taken by Danny Swanson played to the near post.
- 6:20 The ball is delivered by Paul Dixon, clearance by Willo Flood.
- 5:04 Corner taken right-footed by Danny Swanson to the near post, clearance by Andrew Considine.
- 4:49 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Johnny Russell goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 4:27 Isaac Osbourne gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Robertson. Scott Allan takes the free kick.
- 3:55 Rory Fallon fouled by Scott Robertson, the ref awards a free kick. Andrew Considine restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:46 Danny Swanson takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post.
- 2:25 Centre by Paul Dixon.
- 1:45 Ryan Jack challenges Danny Swanson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Scott Allan takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot