Hibernian 0 - 1 Motherwell
Page last updated at 16:08 GMT, Saturday, 15 October 2011 17:08 UK
Jamie Murphy's early strike was enough to give Motherwell a thoroughly deserved win away to Hibernian.
Murphy headed the Steelmen ahead after only eight minutes before Steven Hammell and Tim Clancy both forced saves from goalkeeper Graham Stack.
A Keith Lasley header came back off the post before Hibs' Junior Agogo forced a save from Darren Randolph.
Hibs improved after the break, but Well's Michael Higdon went closest with an effort against the crossbar.
Motherwell manager Stuart McCall kept faith with Steven Jennings, despite the midfielder's recent arrest over alleged irregular betting patterns, naming the same side that defeated Dundee United.
Hibs were also unchanged after their defeat by Rangers, striker Garry O'Connor having successfully fought against a two-match ban over suggestions he dived to win a penalty in the recent win over St Johnstone.
Hibs struggled to get out of their own half during the opening exchanges with Motherwell's slick passing a factor in the away side retaining possession for long spells.
It was no surprise when McCall's team went ahead after eight minutes when Murphy ghosted into the box to find the net.
Murphy found space between defenders Victor Palsson and Sean O'Hanlon to nod Tom Hateley's deep cross past Stack from close range.
Stack did well to push a Hammell shot wide before then saving Clancy's near post header from Hateley's corner.
The Leith side had a rare sight of goal when Agogo's shot fell to O'Connor following Stephen Craigan's block, but the Scotland striker hit a wild effort wide.
Motherwell should have been two ahead after 23 minutes when Hammell produced a teasing cross that found the unmarked Lasley, but the midfielder's downward header came back off a post.
With Hibs fans booing their team's lack of possession, Isaiah Osbourne eventually won the ball back and Agogo ran at the visiting defence before hitting a low drive across goal that was well saved by Randolph.
However, that was not enough to appease Colin Calderwood and the Hibs manager brought on Danny Galbraith and David Wotherspoon for Victor Palsson and Martin Scott during the break.
Hibs responded by camping in the Motherwell half, but the visitors remained dangerous on the counter-attack.
Goalkeeper Graham Stack denied Michael Higdon with his legs after Murphy set up his Well strike partner in front of goal.
Higdon then fired wide before Stack produced a fine double save to deny Stephen Craigan then the striker sent an effort against the crossbar.
Hibs' attacks started to find a cutting edge and a Wotherspoon drive forced Randolph to turn the ball over for a corner.
Galbraith fired wide of the near post when going across goal might have been a better option, while Agogo angled a drive across the face of the goal and just wide.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 15 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Stack
- 04 Hanlon
- 05 O'Hanlon yellow card
- 06 Murray yellow card
- 19 Palsson (Wotherspoon 46)
- 14 Scott (Galbraith 46)
- 17 Sproule
- 24 Osbourne (Griffiths 74)
- 25 Towell
- 09 O'Connor
- 18 Agogo
- 31 Brown,
- 20 Stephens,
- 07 Wotherspoon,
- 11 Galbraith,
- 16 Stevenson,
- 23 Sodje,
- 28 Griffiths
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell yellow card
- 05 Craigan
- 06 Hateley
- 22 Clancy
- 04 Law
- 07 Humphrey (Daley 78)
- 08 Jennings
- 14 Lasley
- 09 Higdon
- 11 Murphy
- 12 Hollis,
- 20 Page,
- 23 Halsman,
- 17 Daley,
- 26 Carswell,
- 16 McHugh,
- 18 Forbes
- Hibernian 37%
- Motherwell 63%
Attempts on target
- Hibernian 3
- Motherwell 4
Attempts off target
- Hibernian 7
- Motherwell 6
- Hibernian 4
- Motherwell 7
- Hibernian 9
- Motherwell 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:14 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+0:10 Unfair challenge on Omar Daley by Paul Hanlon results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Nicky Law.
- 89:14 Junior Agogo is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 88:54 The referee blows for offside against Michael Higdon. Graham Stack takes the indirect free kick.
- 88:03 Ian Murray challenges Michael Higdon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Steve Jennings.
- 87:00 Paul Hanlon sends in a cross, save made by Darren Randolph.
- 85:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Junior Agogo by Stephen Craigan. Leigh Griffiths has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 83:00 Junior Agogo has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 80:55 A cross is delivered by Jamie Murphy.
- 79:57 Steve Jennings challenges Junior Agogo unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ivan Sproule restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:54 Effort from the edge of the area by Daniel Galbraith goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 77:28 Substitution Omar Daley is brought on as a substitute for Chris Humphrey.
- 76:35 Outswinging corner taken by Leigh Griffiths from the left by-line, Junior Agogo produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 75:30 Leigh Griffiths takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Paul Hanlon has a header from close in and clears the crossbar.
- 74:27 Chris Humphrey concedes a free kick for a foul on Daniel Galbraith. David Wotherspoon produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Darren Randolph.
- 74:18 Richie Towell sends in a cross, Tom Hateley manages to make a clearance.
- 73:23 Substitution Isaiah Osbourne leaves the field to be replaced by Leigh Griffiths.
- 72:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Hanlon on Chris Humphrey. A cross is delivered by Stevie Hammell, Michael Higdon produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box that clears the crossbar.
- 71:25 The offside flag is raised against Michael Higdon. Graham Stack takes the free kick.
- 70:48 Daniel Galbraith gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nicky Law. Stephen Craigan takes the free kick.
- 69:52 Corner taken by Daniel Galbraith.
- 68:28 Outswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley, Michael Higdon takes a shot.
- 67:24 Stevie Hammell delivers the ball, Stephen Craigan takes a shot. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 67:24 Booking Ian Murray is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 67:07 Unfair challenge on Nicky Law by Ian Murray results in a free kick.
- 65:06 Junior Agogo challenges Stephen Craigan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Clancy.
- 63:28 Free kick crossed right-footed by Richie Towell from right wing, clearance by Tim Clancy.
- 63:28 Booking Stevie Hammell booked.
- 63:16 Stevie Hammell challenges Ivan Sproule unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 62:15 Centre by Richie Towell.
- 60:56 Effort from the edge of the area by Michael Higdon goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 60:06 Keith Lasley concedes a free kick for a foul on Isaiah Osbourne. Ian Murray takes the indirect free kick.
- 58:36 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley, clearance by Ian Murray.
- 55:19 Michael Higdon takes a shot. Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 54:10 The ball is crossed by Ivan Sproule.
- 51:44 Corner taken by Tom Hateley played to the near post, Richie Towell manages to make a clearance.
- 51:25 The ball is crossed by Chris Humphrey, clearance made by Sean O'Hanlon.
- 46:38 Junior Agogo crosses the ball, Tim Clancy manages to make a clearance.
- 45:29 The ball is sent over by Richie Towell.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- 45:01 Substitution Daniel Galbraith is brought on as a substitute for Martin Scott.
- 45:01 Substitution David Wotherspoon replaces Victor Palsson.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:27 The first half comes to an end.
- 44:50 Nicky Law decides to take a short corner.
- 42:23 Tom Hateley takes the direct free kick.
- 42:23 Booking Sean O'Hanlon receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- Correction - 42:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jamie Murphy by Sean O'Hanlon.
- 42:14 Foul by Sean O'Hanlon on Jamie Murphy, awarded.
- 39:24 Shot on goal by Nicky Law from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 37:56 Martin Scott takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Michael Higdon.
- 34:20 A cross is delivered by Junior Agogo, Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 32:49 Junior Agogo takes a shot. Save by Darren Randolph.
- 29:30 The ball is crossed by Paul Hanlon, Darren Randolph makes a save.
- 28:27 Handball decision goes against Paul Hanlon. Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:17 Junior Agogo takes a shot. Blocked by Stephen Craigan.
- 26:38 Chris Humphrey produces a cross, Michael Higdon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sean O'Hanlon. Indirect free kick taken by Graham Stack.
- Correction - 22:07 Centre by Keith Lasley, Effort from close range by Michael Higdon hits the post.
- 22:07 Cross/shot by Keith Lasley.
- 21:36 Shot from deep inside the area by Garry O'Connor goes over the bar.
- 21:16 Junior Agogo takes a shot.
- 19:41 Nicky Law crosses the ball.
- 18:56 Unfair challenge on Ivan Sproule by Chris Humphrey results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Graham Stack.
- 12:55 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Hateley from the left by-line to the near post, save by Graham Stack.
- 12:17 Chris Humphrey gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Richie Towell. Paul Hanlon takes the indirect free kick.
- 11:57 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Stevie Hammell.
- 11:15 Stevie Hammell takes a shot. Graham Stack makes a save.
- 10:32 Ian Murray challenges Michael Higdon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Stevie Hammell.
- 7:55 The assist for the goal came from Tom Hateley.
- 7:55 GOAL - Jamie Murphy:Hibernian 0 - 1 Motherwell Jamie Murphy finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Hibernian 0-1 Motherwell.
- 7:55 A cross is delivered by Tom Hateley,
- 7:12 Steve Jennings takes a shot. Blocked by Ian Murray.
- 5:32 Outswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley, Michael Higdon has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 2:33 The offside flag is raised against Michael Higdon. Graham Stack takes the indirect free kick.
- 2:08 Foul by Martin Scott on Steve Jennings, free kick awarded. Stevie Hammell takes the indirect free kick.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot