Kilmarnock 1 - 2 St Johnstone
Page last updated at 16:02 GMT, Saturday, 1 October 2011 17:02 UK
St Johnstone's in-form strike force struck again as goals from Francisco Sandaza and Cillian Sheridan defeated Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.
Sandaza found space behind the home defence to fire home after 22 minutes.
St Johnstone's Liam Craig had to clear off the line before Steven Anderson sent a looping header into his own net for the equaliser on 36 minutes.
But Sandaza set up Sheridan to round goalkeeper Cammy Bell for the 73rd-minute winner.
The on-loan CSKA Sofia striker's fourth goal in three games means the Perth side move clear in fourth place.
St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes had made two changes, with Callum Davidson, who has now recovered from injury, the replacement for crocked fellow defender David McCracken and David Robertson taking the place of Chris Millar in midfield.
But Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels' two changes, handing 19-year-old defender Alex Pursehouse his second start of the season in place of the injured Liam Kelly, with fit-again James Dayton replacing Gary Harkins, initially looked to be the more effective.
The rejigged visiting defence was quickly under pressure, Dean Shiels played a neat one-two with Zdenek Kroca and only a brave Peter Enckelman save at the feet of the Northern Irishman prevented an opening goal.
Saints settled and Sheridan slipped past Mohamadou Sissoko but was denied by a fine, one-handed save from Bell.
The home defence were looking increasingly uncertain and, when Robertson poked the ball forward, Sandaza took advantage of Manuel Pascali's slip on the wet surface before firing low past Bell.
Kilmarnock responded and, after Enckelman let a corner slip from his grasp, Craig had to clear off the line when Kroca prodded the ball goalwards.
Rory McKeown's long-range effort struck the crossbar before Kilmarnock eventually registered.
Paul Hefferman had a powerful low drive turned wide by Enckelman at full stretch and, from the corner, the ball struck the head of Anderson under pressure from Pascali and Sissoko and it looped over the goalkeeper and into the net.
Kilmarnock ought to have taken the lead on the stroke of half-time when Hefferman set up Kroca and, although the defender neatly sidestepped his marker, he fired straight into the chest of Enckelman.
The home side were in control after the break and James Fowler curled an effort over then Enckelman flew across his goal for a fine one-handed block that prevented a deflected Heffernan drive giving Kilmarnock the lead.
Shiels squandered a chance in front of goal before Saints worked themselves back into the game and Sandaza's glancing header from a fine Sheridan cross was pushed away by goalkeeper Bell.
However, when Saints went ahead, it was thanks to a mis-control from Mohamadou Sissoko from which Sandaza slipped the ball through to Sheridan and the striker rounded Bell to roll into the empty net.
Bell sprawled full length to turn a Sandaza drive wide of the far post, but Saints had done enough to inflict Killie's first home defeat of the season.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 1 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Bell
- 04 Fowler
- 13 Kroca
- 23 McKeown (Hay 72)
- 26 Pursehouse
- 28 Fisher yellow card (Gross 80)
- 88 Sissoko
- 10 Dayton (Racchi 75)
- 20 Shiels
- 29 Pascali
- 14 Heffernan
- 53 Jaakkola,
- 03 Hay,
- 11 Harkins,
- 22 Racchi,
- 16 Jorge Galan,
- 19 Hutchinson,
- 21 Gross
- 01 Enckelman
- 02 MacKay
- 03 Davidson
- 06 Anderson yellow card
- 12 Maybury
- 04 Morris
- 10 Craig
- 14 Moon (Millar 60)
- 16 Robertson (Gibson 78)
- 11 Sheridan
- 21 Sandaza (Haber 85)
- 15 Mannus,
- 25 Durnan,
- 26 Caddis,
- 07 Millar,
- 22 Gibson,
- 27 May,
- 23 Haber
- Kilmarnock 50%
- St Johnstone 50%
Attempts on target
- Kilmarnock 7
- St Johnstone 5
Attempts off target
- Kilmarnock 5
- St Johnstone 2
- Kilmarnock 12
- St Johnstone 9
- Kilmarnock 4
- St Johnstone 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:52 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+3:52 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Dean Shiels from the left by-line, Callum Davidson manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+1:38 Outswinging corner taken by Garry Hay from the left by-line.
- 89:59 Short corner taken by Alex Pursehouse.
- 89:32 The referee blows for offside. James Fowler takes the free kick.
- 85:54 Unfair challenge on William Gibson by William Gros results in a free kick. Callum Davidson takes the free kick.
- 84:35 Substitution (St Johnstone) makes a substitution, with Marcus Haber coming on for Francisco Sandaza.
- 84:17 William Gibson decides to take the corner short.
- 83:46 Chris Millar takes a shot. Save by Cameron Bell.
- 79:10 Substitution Gary Fisher goes off and William Gros comes on.
- 78:50 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Liam Craig.
- 77:17 Substitution William Gibson on for David Robertson.
- 77:00 Garry Hay takes a corner.
- 76:34 The ball is delivered by Alex Pursehouse, blocked by Chris Millar.
- 74:07 Substitution James Dayton leaves the field to be replaced by Danny Racchi.
- 73:00 Assist on the goal came from Francisco Sandaza.
- 73:00 GOAL - Cillian Sheridan:Kilmarnock 1 - 2 St Johnstone A goal is scored by Cillian Sheridan from inside the area low into the middle of the goal. Kilmarnock 1-2 St Johnstone.
- 71:18 Substitution Garry Hay joins the action as a substitute, replacing Rory McKeown.
- 69:19 Free kick awarded for a foul by Manuel Pascali on Francisco Sandaza. Strike comes in from Jody Morris from the free kick.
- 66:11 Cillian Sheridan crosses the ball, Francisco Sandaza takes a shot. Save by Cameron Bell.
- 65:14 Cillian Sheridan is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Cameron Bell restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:18 Long range effort by Jody Morris goes wide right of the net.
- 60:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Anderson on Paul Heffernan. Dean Shiels takes the free kick.
- 59:06 Substitution Chris Millar is brought on as a substitute for Kevin Moon.
- 57:31 Corner from the left by-line taken by Dean Shiels, David MacKay manages to make a clearance.
- 57:07 Paul Heffernan takes a shot. Peter Enckelman makes a save.
- 55:42 Effort on goal by James Fowler from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 54:45 Corner taken left-footed by James Dayton from the right by-line, Foul by Zdenek Kroca on Steven Anderson, free kick awarded. Peter Enckelman restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:15 Corner taken right-footed by Dean Shiels, Liam Craig makes a clearance.
- 54:05 Alex Pursehouse delivers the ball, clearance made by Alan Maybury.
- Correction - 48:53 Unfair challenge on Rory McKeown by Alan Maybury results in a free kick. Dean Shiels crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Alan Maybury.
- 48:53 Alan Maybury concedes a free kick for a foul on Rory McKeown. Free kick taken by Dean Shiels.
- 45:56 David Robertson concedes a free kick for a foul on Rory McKeown. Zdenek Kroca restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:14 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 44:56 Zdenek Kroca takes a shot. Peter Enckelman makes a save.
- 44:04 James Fowler produces a left-footed shot from long range which goes wide right of the goal.
- 42:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Dayton by David Robertson. Dean Shiels produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 41:58 The ball is delivered by Rory McKeown, David MacKay manages to make a clearance.
- 37:21 James Dayton takes a shot. Save by Peter Enckelman.
- 35:51 Assist by Dean Shiels.
- 35:51 GOAL - Manuel Pascali:Kilmarnock 1 - 1 St Johnstone Manuel Pascali finds the net with a headed goal from close range. Kilmarnock 1-1 St Johnstone.
- 35:30 Dean Shiels takes a inswinging corner to the near post,
- 35:04 Paul Heffernan takes a shot. Save by Peter Enckelman.
- 33:27 Paul Heffernan takes a shot. Blocked by Steven Anderson. James Dayton takes a inswinging corner.
- 31:53 Peter Enckelman takes the indirect free kick.
- 31:53 Booking Gary Fisher is booked.
- 31:40 Gary Fisher challenges David Robertson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 27:24 Rory McKeown takes a shot.
- 26:08 The ball is delivered by David Robertson.
- 24:15 Corner taken by Dean Shiels from the left by-line, save by Peter Enckelman.
- 23:23 Inswinging corner taken by Dean Shiels.
- 21:55 The assist for the goal came from Cillian Sheridan.
- 21:55 GOAL - Francisco Sandaza:Kilmarnock 0 - 1 St Johnstone Francisco Sandaza finds the back of the net with a goal from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Kilmarnock 0-1 St Johnstone.
- 21:25 The referee blows for offside against Paul Heffernan. Steven Anderson takes the free kick.
- 20:24 Booking Caution for Steven Anderson.
- 20:17 A cross is delivered by Alex Pursehouse, clearance made by David MacKay.
- 18:23 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Liam Craig, Zdenek Kroca manages to make a clearance.
- 17:44 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Liam Craig, Zdenek Kroca manages to make a clearance.
- 17:19 Cillian Sheridan takes a shot. Save by Cameron Bell.
- 16:26 Jody Morris takes a corner.
- 15:33 Corner taken left-footed by Liam Craig from the right by-line, Rory McKeown makes a clearance.
- 15:04 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Liam Craig, clearance made by Zdenek Kroca.
- 14:47 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Liam Craig, clearance made by Rory McKeown.
- Correction - 14:18 The ball is swung over by David MacKay, Mohamadou Sissoko gets a block in.
- 14:18 David MacKay produces a cross.
- 11:04 Foul by Steven Anderson on James Dayton, free kick awarded. James Dayton has an effort direct from the free kick. Inswinging corner taken by James Dayton from the left by-line, clearance by Steven Anderson.
- 6:55 James Dayton takes a shot. Save by Peter Enckelman.
- 3:11 Corner taken by Liam Craig, save by Cameron Bell.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot