Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 11 August, 2001, 19:27 GMT 20:27 UK
Dundee end Livingston's run
Juan Sara celebrates after his goal
Juan Sara celebrates after his goal
Dundee 1-0 Livingston

Juan Sara scored his fourth goal of the season to end Livingston's impressive start to the campaign.

There was little to choose between the sides, but Dundee probably just edged it.

The result maintains their own unbeaten start to the season and they can be well pleased with their form so far.

The opening stages saw both sides struggle to create chances but the home side gradually started to dominate.

Stuart Lovell tries to stop Fabian Caballero
Stuart Lovell tries to stop Fabian Caballero
Alessandro Romano tried to set up Fabian Caballero in front of goal but the ball was cleared as he prepared to strike.

Livingston's Davide Xausa then saw a free kick deflected wide.

Juan Sara came close for Dundee when he latched on to a Carranza pass before turning Marvin Andrews in the penalty box.

The Argentine shot from the tightest of angles and was only denied by the quick reflexes of Livingston goalkeeper Javier Sanchez Broto.

Broto was helpless, though, after 23 minutes. Romano's inch-perfect cross was met by the head of Sara who directed the ball into Broto's bottom right-hand corner.

Livingston upped the pressure and had a couple of good chances to equalise.

Stunning saves

David Fernandez set up David Bingham for a shot on the corner of the 18-yard box but the striker was denied by the crossbar.

Moments later, Barry Wilson found Xausa on the edge of the six-yard box but he nodded just over.

Dundee could have doubled their advantage just after the half-hour mark but Rae turned Georgi Nemsadze's corner a yard wide of the post.

Livvy had the chance to equalise three minutes before the break when Quino released Fernandez - the striker tried to take the ball round Jamie Langfield but the keeper dived low to block the shot.

The opening minutes of the second half saw both goalkeepers producing stunning saves.

Quino saw his shot turned wide by Langfield's one-handed save two minutes after the re-start, before Spaniard Broto blocked a point-blank shot from Caballero a minute later.

Gavin Rae and Quino tangle
Gavin Rae and Quino tangle
Marcello Marrocco was stretchered off the park in 52 minutes after appearing to fall awkwardly and he was replaced by Alberto Garrido.

Livingston were starting to push forward more as the second-half wore on and Fernandez came close after 60 minutes.

Brinquin's cross was met by Bingham, who touched the ball onto the Spanish striker but he sent the shot high over the crossbar.

Dundee should have grabbed their second with 11 minutes remaining.

Nemsadze's long cross was met by Romano on the right - he squared the ball into the box to Caballero but the striker somehow managed to send the ball past the post.

As the game entered the last five minutes, Livingston could have snatched a point.

Lowndes chested the ball down to substitute Michael Hart, whose shot looked netbound, but Jamie Langfield produced a great save.

Dundee: Langfield, Smith, Khizanishvili, Del Rio, Marrocco, Romano, Nemsadze, Rae, Carranza, Caballero, Sara.

Subs: Trialist, Milne, Garrido, Coyne, Fatello.

Livingston: Broto, Brinquin, Bollan, Rubio, Andrews, Quino, Wilson, Fernandez, Xausa, Lovell, Bingham.

Subs: McEwan, Caputo, Hart, Lowndes, Tosh.

Referee: Mike McCurry

Links to more Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top