Dundee Utd 0 - 1 Rangers
Page last updated at 13:30 GMT, Saturday, 10 September 2011 14:30 UK
Rangers edged out 10-man Dundee United at Tannadice to stay on top of the Scottish Premier League.
Johnny Russell was sent off after half an hour for stupidly aiming a headbutt at Kirk Broadfoot.
Rangers made their advantage count when Kyle Lafferty nodded home from a Gregg Wylde cross on 61 minutes.
A Steven Davis shot struck both posts as the visitors pressed for second goal, while United battled gamely and were always a threat.
But, despite a host of chances at either end, there was to be no further scoring and Rangers kept a fifth successive SPL clean sheet to earn maximum points.
Rangers were under early pressure, following a poor kick out from Allan McGregor and the goalkeeper was relieved to see Willo Flood's deflected strike whistle inches wide of his post.
On 14 minutes, a clever pass from Juan Manuel Ortiz found Lafferty inside the penalty box but the striker's shot on the turn was smothered by United keeper Dusan Pernis.
A delivery from Wylde looped off United defender Garry Kenneth and fell for Steven Naismith in front of goal but the Scotland international hammered his first-time shot over the crossbar from six yards.
With the game being played at a cracking pace, Danny Swanson stung McGregor's palms with a long-range effort and Kenneth went close with a header from a corner.
The game suddenly swung in Rangers' favour on 30 minutes when Russell and Broadfoot became embroiled in an argument and the United striker was sent off for foolishly aiming a headbutt at his opponent.
Rangers should have broken the deadlock soon after when Maurice Edu found Naismith with a smart, lofted pass but the forward was again wasteful in front of goal, shooting wide from near the penalty spot.
The powerful Kenneth threatened with another header from a corner, while Lafferty did well to dribble down the byeline only to see his drilled shot kept out by a combination of Pernis and post.
The second half started with a long-range strike from Lafferty skidding into the arms of Pernis and the keeper was then able to thwart the same player with a block inside the six yard box.
However, the big Northern Ireland striker was not be denied and he found the net with a powerful header after connecting with an excellent cross from Wylde.
A thunderous, low strike from John Rankin bounced awkwardly off the chest of McGregor before a huge slice of fortune for the home side.
Davis glided through the United defence and placed a shot beyond Pernis but the ball cannoned off both posts before bobbling off to safety.
Kenneth made a sliding clearance to keep out a Naismith effort before United duo Swanson and Rankin smashed strikes wide of the target, the latter's attempt taking a layer of paint off the post.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Pernis
- 03 Dixon
- 05 Kenneth yellow card
- 12 Watson
- 18 Gunning
- 06 Flood
- 08 Robertson
- 10 Swanson yellow card
- 11 Rankin
- 15 Russell red card
- 19 Dalla Valle (Dow 71)
- 25 McCallum,
- 14 Douglas,
- 26 Marsh-Brown,
- 16 Armstrong,
- 17 Mackay-Steven,
- 20 Allan,
- 22 Dow
- 01 McGregor
- 02 Goian
- 04 Broadfoot yellow card
- 16 Whittaker
- 17 Ortiz
- 18 Bocanegra yellow card
- 27 Wylde (McKay 83)
- 07 Edu (McCulloch 75)
- 08 Davis yellow card
- 11 Lafferty
- 14 Naismith
- 25 Alexander,
- 32 Perry,
- 06 McCulloch,
- 20 McKay,
- 10 Fleck,
- 15 Healy,
- 28 Kerkar
- Dundee Utd 44%
- Rangers 56%
Attempts on target
- Dundee Utd 5
- Rangers 6
Attempts off target
- Dundee Utd 8
- Rangers 7
- Dundee Utd 10
- Rangers 10
- Dundee Utd 9
- Rangers 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:41 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:09 Corner taken right-footed by Daniel Swanson from the left by-line, Header from deep inside the area by Gavin Gunning goes over the bar.
- 90:00+0:41 Palazon Juanma Ortiz gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Robertson. Free kick crossed left-footed by Paul Dixon. Corner taken right-footed by Daniel Swanson, John Rankin takes a long range shot clearing the crossbar.
- 88:52 The referee blows for offside against Garry Kenneth. Dorin Goian takes the direct free kick.
- 88:23 Daniel Swanson challenges Kirk Broadfoot unfairly and gives away a free kick. Kirk Broadfoot takes the free kick.
- 86:26 The assistant referee signals for offside against Ryan Dow. Allan McGregor restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:51 The ball is crossed by Paul Dixon.
- 84:31 Shot from just outside the box by Steven Davis goes over the bar.
- 82:56 Substitution Matt McKay joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gregg Wylde.
- 81:34 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Steven Davis.
- 79:46 Corner taken right-footed by Daniel Swanson from the right by-line, John Rankin has an effort at goal from just inside the area that bounces off the post.
- 77:50 Effort from outside the box by Daniel Swanson goes wide right of the target.
- 76:11 Gregg Wylde crosses the ball.
- 74:50 Substitution Lee McCulloch on for Maurice Edu.
- 73:52 Steven Naismith takes a shot. Garry Kenneth manages to make a clearance.
- 72:24 Free kick taken by Paul Dixon.
- 72:24 Booking Carlos Bocanegra receives a yellow card.
- 72:12 Unfair challenge on Ryan Dow by Carlos Bocanegra results in a free kick.
- 70:43 Ryan Dow takes a shot. Carlos Bocanegra gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Daniel Swanson from the left by-line.
- 69:44 Substitution Ryan Dow joins the action as a substitute, replacing Lauri Dalla Valle.
- 69:44 Outswinging corner taken by Gregg Wylde, Effort from deep inside the area by Dorin Goian misses to the right of the goal.
- 68:31 Shot by Steven Davis from inside the penalty box hits the post.
- 67:14 John Rankin has a drilled shot. Save by Allan McGregor.
- 66:34 The assistant referee flags for offside against Steven Davis. Free kick taken by Dusan Pernis.
- 62:13 Centre by Paul Dixon, save by Allan McGregor. Unfair challenge on Palazon Juanma Ortiz by Daniel Swanson results in a free kick. Allan McGregor restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:16 Gregg Wylde provided the assist for the goal.
- 60:16 GOAL - Kyle Lafferty:Dundee Utd 0 - 1 Rangers Kyle Lafferty grabs a headed goal from deep inside the penalty area. Dundee Utd 0-1 Rangers.
- 60:14 The ball is swung over by Gregg Wylde,
- 58:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Maurice Edu by Lauri Dalla Valle. Gregg Wylde delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from left channel, Gavin Gunning manages to make a clearance. Inswinging corner taken by Gregg Wylde.
- 57:01 The referee blows for offside against Kyle Lafferty. Indirect free kick taken by Dusan Pernis.
- 56:22 Lauri Dalla Valle challenges Kirk Broadfoot unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 54:35 The ball is delivered by Steven Naismith, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Kyle Lafferty misses to the right of the target.
- 54:16 John Rankin is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Steven Whittaker takes the free kick.
- 53:38 Corner taken by Steven Davis, clearance made by Garry Kenneth.
- 51:54 Kyle Lafferty has an effort at goal from 6 yards. Blocked by Garry Kenneth. Corner taken right-footed by Steven Davis from the left by-line, clearance by John Rankin. Corner from left by-line taken by Steven Davis.
- 50:52 Gregg Wylde produces a cross.
- 49:01 Effort on goal by Kyle Lafferty from 25 yards. Dusan Pernis makes a save.
- 48:14 The assistant referee signals for offside against John Rankin. Kirk Broadfoot takes the free kick.
- 46:01 Gregg Wylde produces a cross.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:11 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:46 Centre by Maurice Edu, save made by Dusan Pernis.
- 44:21 Steven Whittaker takes a shot. Gavin Gunning gets a block in. Corner taken by Gregg Wylde.
- 43:09 Shot by Kyle Lafferty from 12 yards. Save by Dusan Pernis.
- 42:15 Keith Watson fouled by Kyle Lafferty, the ref awards a free kick. Dusan Pernis restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:55 Corner taken by Daniel Swanson, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Garry Kenneth goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 39:27 Steven Whittaker sends in a cross.
- 38:39 Maurice Edu gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Willo Flood. Willo Flood takes the direct free kick.
- 37:26 The offside flag is raised against Palazon Juanma Ortiz. Dusan Pernis takes the free kick.
- 37:16 The ball is delivered by Gregg Wylde, clearance by Gavin Gunning.
- 35:52 Effort on goal by Steven Naismith from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 35:19 Keith Watson challenges Steven Davis unfairly and gives away a free kick. Maurice Edu takes the free kick.
- 34:11 The ball is swung over by Steven Whittaker.
- 30:36 Free kick taken by Carlos Bocanegra.
- 30:36 Booking Kirk Broadfoot is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 29:35 Sent off Johnny Russell is shown a red card.
- 29:18 Centre by John Rankin, save by Allan McGregor. Free kick awarded for a foul by Johnny Russell on Kirk Broadfoot.
- 27:15 Garry Kenneth takes a shot and cleared the net.
- 26:32 Headed from the edge of the area by Daniel Swanson goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 24:22 Willo Flood challenges Kirk Broadfoot unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steven Davis crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Gavin Gunning. Inswinging corner taken by Gregg Wylde, clearance made by Garry Kenneth.
- 21:52 Free kick crossed by Willo Flood, clearance made by Kyle Lafferty. Corner taken right-footed by Daniel Swanson from the left by-line, Header on goal by Garry Kenneth from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 21:52 Booking Steven Davis goes into the referee's book.
- 21:45 Steven Davis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Daniel Swanson.
- 20:21 Unfair challenge on Gavin Gunning by Kyle Lafferty results in a free kick. Dusan Pernis takes the free kick.
- 19:33 Booking Caution for Daniel Swanson.
- 17:44 Keith Watson produces a cross, save made by Allan McGregor.
- 17:29 Centre by Scott Robertson, Dorin Goian manages to make a clearance.
- 16:09 Daniel Swanson produces a drilled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Save made by Allan McGregor. Corner taken by Daniel Swanson, clearance made by Kirk Broadfoot.
- 14:20 Close range effort by Steven Naismith clears the crossbar.
- 13:35 Kyle Lafferty takes a shot. Dusan Pernis makes a comfortable save.
- 11:33 Palazon Juanma Ortiz crosses the ball, Gavin Gunning manages to make a clearance. Gregg Wylde takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Scott Robertson makes a clearance. Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Gregg Wylde. Foul by Steven Whittaker on Lauri Dalla Valle, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Scott Robertson.
- 9:53 Lauri Dalla Valle challenges Dorin Goian unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Dorin Goian.
- 8:45 Dorin Goian restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:45 Booking Garry Kenneth goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 8:37 Foul by Garry Kenneth on Kirk Broadfoot, free kick awarded.
- 6:46 Shot by Willo Flood. Blocked by Dorin Goian. Corner from right by-line taken by Daniel Swanson. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Daniel Swanson, Shot by Scott Robertson. Blocked by Kirk Broadfoot. Corner taken by Daniel Swanson from the right by-line.
- 5:36 Steven Whittaker crosses the ball.
- 4:09 Steven Whittaker delivers the ball, clearance made by Gavin Gunning.
- 2:58 The ball is delivered by Palazon Juanma Ortiz, clearance by Gavin Gunning.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot