Inverness CT 0-2 Rangers
Page last updated at 13:39 GMT, Saturday, 13 August 2011 14:39 UK
Inverness CT 0 - 2 Rangers
Nikica Jelavic and Maurice Edu were on target as Rangers profited from two second-half penalties in Inverness.
Jelavic slammed in the first after Ross Tokely had been sent off for sliding in on Steven Naismith.
Following a tumble from Dorin Goian, Jelavic saw his second effort saved but Edu clipped in the rebound.
Rangers also had a man sent off, with Edu picking up two bookings, but the visitors held on comfortably to claim their second win of the season.
Both penalty awards were contentious but the visitors will think justice was done after two earlier handball offences from Terry Butcher's side went unpunished and an early effort was harshly ruled offside.
Rangers striker Jelavic had the ball in the back of the net with just three minutes gone after pouncing on a Edu touch but the American midfielder had been flagged by a linesman.
Inverness were pinned back for long spells in an untidy first half but sprung a promising counter-attack on 22 minutes, only to see Aaron Doran send a weak first-time shot straight at Allan McGregor from 18 yards.
McGregor was busy again when Kyle Bartley was short with a headed back-pass, forcing the keeper to race out and save bravely at the feet of Gregory Tade.
Some nice footwork from Edu allowed the US international to drive to the byline and his cross was headed against the outstretched arm of a defender by Jelavic.
But referee Euan Norris waved away the first of two vociferous penalty claims from the visitors.
Another Inverness breakaway saw Doran flash the ball across goal from the left and a sliding Richie Foran was inches away from connecting at the back post.
With half-time looming, Rangers were again appealing in vain to Norris for a penalty when a double ricochet struck the arms of two defenders as Edu prodded the ball forward.
Both sides were guilty of pumping long, aimless balls up front in the early stages of the second half, with a swirling wind making life difficult for defenders.
Naismith was scurrying after a loose ball near the hour when he was stopped in his tracks by Tokely. And this time Norris pointed to the spot.
The defender, who was shown a red card, appeared to take a large chunk of the ball and the home side's frustration was compounded when Jelavic hammered the penalty kick home.
A second penalty for the visitors was awarded soon after when Goian, running away from goal, tangled ever so slightly with Tom Aldred.
Ryan Esson made a great block from Jelavic's spot-kick but Edu was first to the rebound and tucked the ball away.
Naismith squandered a great chance by toe-poking wide before Rangers were also reduced to 10 men when Edu picked up a second yellow card for a late tackle on Nick Ross.
Steven Davis flashed a shot wide as Rangers pressed and a late Inverness rally was thwarted by good blocking tackles from Ross Perry and Goian.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 13 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Esson
- 03 Tokely red card
- 05 Hogg
- 19 Shinnie
- 02 Piermayr yellow card
- 04 Tudur-Jones (Ross 65)
- 07 Hayes
- 08 Tansey yellow card
- 09 Foran yellow card
- 15 Tade (Aldred 61)
- 23 Doran (Sutherland 73)
- 12 Tuffey,
- 20 Aldred,
- 10 Shinnie,
- 11 Ross,
- 17 Morrison,
- 29 Laing,
- 18 Sutherland
- 01 McGregor
- 02 Goian
- 04 Broadfoot
- 12 Wallace
- 17 Ortiz (Wylde 74)
- 22 Bartley yellow card (Perry 33)
- 07 Edu two yellow cards, red card
- 08 Davis
- 26 Ness
- 09 Jelavic
- 14 Naismith
- 25 Alexander,
- 27 Wylde,
- 32 Perry,
- 38 Hemmings,
- 10 Fleck,
- 15 Healy,
- 35 Hutton
- Inverness CT 35%
- Rangers 65%
Attempts on target
- Inverness CT 3
- Rangers 4
Attempts off target
- Inverness CT 3
- Rangers 4
- Inverness CT 1
- Rangers 5
- Inverness CT 11
- Rangers 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:16 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+2:53 Nikica Jelavic takes a shot. Tom Aldred gets a block in.
- 88:16 Unfair challenge on Steven Naismith by Greg Tansey results in a free kick. Steven Naismith restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:50 Shot from just outside the area by Gregg Wylde goes over the bar.
- 84:46 Shot by Shane Sutherland. Jamie Ness gets a block in.
- 83:29 Short corner worked by Gregg Wylde.
- 80:54 Free kick taken by Lee Wallace.
- 80:54 Booking Greg Tansey is shown a yellow card.
- 80:47 Greg Tansey challenges Gregg Wylde unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 79:32 Effort from inside the area by Steven Davis misses to the left of the goal.
- 77:35 Dorin Goian challenges Jonathan Hayes unfairly and gives away a free kick. Greg Tansey fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 76:31 The referee penalises Kirk Broadfoot for handball. Jonathan Hayes takes the direct free kick.
- 75:50 Shot from just outside the box by Greg Tansey goes over the target.
- 75:16 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Jonathan Hayes played to the near post, Kirk Broadfoot manages to make a clearance.
- 74:21 Greg Tansey takes the free kick.
- 74:21 Sent off The referee shows Maurice Edu a red card.
- 74:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nick Ross by Maurice Edu.
- 73:09 Ryan Esson restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:09 Substitution Gregg Wylde is brought on as a substitute for Palazon Juanma Ortiz.
- 73:09 Palazon Juanma Ortiz is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 72:18 Substitution Aaron Doran goes off and Shane Sutherland comes on.
- 72:08 Shot by Steven Naismith from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 67:19 The assist for the goal came from Nikica Jelavic.
- 67:19 GOAL - Maurice Edu:Inverness CT 0 - 2 Rangers Maurice Edu grabs a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Inverness CT 0-2 Rangers.
- 67:14 Penalty taken by Nikica Jelavic saved by Ryan Esson. Inverness CT 0-1 Rangers.
- 66:15 Foul by Tom Aldred on Nikica Jelavic, Penalty awarded.
- 65:40 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Steven Davis from the left by-line.
- 64:45 Substitution (Inverness CT) makes a substitution, with Nick Ross coming on for Owain Tudur Jones.
- 62:50 Shot by Steven Naismith. Save made by Ryan Esson.
- 60:33 Substitution Gregory Tade leaves the field to be replaced by Tom Aldred.
- 60:00 Assist on the goal came from Steven Naismith.
- 60:00 GOAL - Nikica Jelavic:Inverness CT 0 - 1 Rangers Power penalty scored by Nikica Jelavic. Inverness CT 0-1 Rangers.
- Correction - 58:54 Sent off Ross Tokely is sent off by the referee.
- 58:54 Sent off The referee sends off Ross Tokely for serious foul play.
- Correction - 58:34 Unfair challenge on Steven Naismith by Ross Tokely results in a Penalty.
- 58:34 Ross Tokely concedes a Penalty for a foul on Steven Naismith.
- 58:01 Effort on goal by Gregory Tade from outside the box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 56:12 Jonathan Hayes delivers the ball.
- 51:17 Richie Foran fouled by Dorin Goian, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Jonathan Hayes from right wing. The official flags Richie Foran offside. Free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 50:13 Dorin Goian challenges Gregory Tade unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Thomas Piermayr.
- 46:12 Foul by Richie Foran on Maurice Edu, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Jamie Ness.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:09 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+2:08 Richie Foran fouled by Kirk Broadfoot, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Owain Tudur Jones, Richie Foran challenges Dorin Goian unfairly and gives away a free kick. Allan McGregor takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+1:04 The referee blows for offside against Jonathan Hayes. Indirect free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 44:53 The ball is crossed by Lee Wallace, Ross Tokely makes a clearance.
- 43:33 Ryan Esson restarts play with the free kick.
- 43:33 Booking Maurice Edu is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 43:18 Foul by Maurice Edu on Ross Tokely, free kick awarded.
- 42:55 Aaron Doran delivers the ball.
- 42:13 Jamie Ness has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 41:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ross Perry on Richie Foran. Aaron Doran restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Steven Naismith by Greg Tansey. Steven Naismith takes the direct free kick.
- 36:19 The ball is swung over by Palazon Juanma Ortiz, clearance by Ross Tokely.
- 35:04 The offside flag is raised against Gregory Tade. Free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 32:43 Substitution Ross Perry joins the action as a substitute, replacing Kyle Bartley.
- 27:21 Thomas Piermayr concedes a free kick for a foul on Palazon Juanma Ortiz. Steven Davis crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance by Greg Tansey.
- 26:00 Booking The referee shows Kyle Bartley a yellow card.
- 25:06 Handball by Jonathan Hayes. Free kick taken by Steven Davis.
- 24:42 Aaron Doran is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by Allan McGregor.
- 21:15 Maurice Edu sends in a cross, Ryan Esson makes a comfortable save.
- 21:02 Aaron Doran has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Comfortable save by Allan McGregor.
- 20:35 Inswinging corner taken by Steven Davis, clearance by Ross Tokely.
- 19:28 Nikica Jelavic fouled by Thomas Piermayr, the ref awards a free kick. Strike on goal comes in from Lee Wallace from the free kick.
- 16:31 Corner taken by Lee Wallace.
- 10:08 Steven Naismith challenges Chris Hogg unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ryan Esson restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:07 Effort on goal by Greg Tansey from 20 yards. Blocked by Dorin Goian.
- 7:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nikica Jelavic on Ross Tokely. Chris Hogg takes the free kick.
- 6:06 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Lee Wallace, Gregory Tade manages to make a clearance.
- 4:14 Steven Davis takes the direct free kick.
- 4:14 Booking Thomas Piermayr receives a yellow card.
- 4:02 Thomas Piermayr gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Palazon Juanma Ortiz.
- 3:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Hayes on Kirk Broadfoot. Allan McGregor takes the free kick.
- 2:44 The referee blows for offside. Ryan Esson takes the indirect free kick.
- 2:02 The ball is swung over by Lee Wallace.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot
13 August 11Football