St Mirren 0-1 Motherwell
Page last updated at 16:08 GMT, Saturday, 13 August 2011 17:08 UK
St Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell
A dramatic last-minute free-kick from Motherwell's Tom Hateley maintained the Lanarkshire side's position at the top of the league with a win at St Mirren.
Saints keeper Craig Samson denied Jamie Murphy, Nicky Law and Michael Higdon in the first half.
The home side struggled to create openings after the break and Samson made more impressive saves.
But Hateley stole all three points for the visitors when his 20-yard free kick found the net.
Motherwell's third Scottish Premier League win of the campaign keeps them clear of Celtic, who have played a game less, and Stuart McCall's side have yet to concede a goal this term.
Law and Higdon combined to set up Murphy on the quarter-hour mark and the striker's 18-yard effort was pushed wide by Samson.
Higdon then dispossessed Jim Goodwin to send Law clear on goal but Samson again diverted the shot past the post.
At the other end, Shaun Hutchinson came close to scoring an own goal when he turned Gary Teale's corner out for a corner.
Higdon became the latest player to be foiled by Samson when his 12-yard shot was blocked by the in-form keeper.
Motherwell keeper Darren Randolph comfortably held Teale's long-range drive and Higdon headed wide as the first half wound down.
The Buddies tried to exert some pressure after the break and Steven Thompson headed wide before Hutchinson made an excellent clearance from Teale's dangerous cross.
Samson got down to block Higdon's 20-yard effort and the keeper then rushed from his line to avert the danger posed by Murphy.
Thompson's long-range volley flew over the Motherwell bar and Samson was called into action again to block Ross Forbes' 30-yard strike.
Teale was penalised for a sliding tackle on Law, a decision that angered the home side, and from the free-kick Hateley curled the ball home to the delight of the travelling fans.
And St Mirren could not find an opening in the closing seconds as they sustained a first defeat of the season.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 13 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Samson
- 02 van Zanten yellow card
- 05 Mair
- 14 McAusland
- 22 Tesselaar
- 06 Goodwin yellow card
- 17 Mclean
- 21 Teale
- 23 Carey (McShane 71)
- 09 Thompson
- 10 McGowan
- 12 Smith,
- 03 Barron,
- 20 Kennedy,
- 39 Thomas Reilly,
- 16 McQuade,
- 19 McShane,
- 32 Lamont
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Craigan
- 15 Hutchinson yellow card
- 04 Law
- 06 Hateley
- 07 Humphrey
- 08 Jennings (Carswell 84)
- 09 Higdon yellow card
- 11 Murphy
- 18 Forbes
- 12 Hollis,
- 20 Page,
- 23 Halsman,
- 26 Carswell,
- 16 McHugh,
- 19 Smith,
- 25 Lawleff
- St Mirren 48%
- Motherwell 52%
Attempts on target
- St Mirren 3
- Motherwell 5
Attempts off target
- St Mirren 0
- Motherwell 1
- St Mirren 6
- Motherwell 5
- St Mirren 7
- Motherwell 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:53 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+1:30 Nicky Law provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+1:30 GOAL - Tom Hateley:St Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell Tom Hateley grabs a goal direct from the free kick from just outside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. St Mirren 0-1 Motherwell.
- 90:00+0:34 Nicky Law fouled by Gary Teale, the ref awards a free kick.
- 87:45 The assistant referee signals for offside against Michael Higdon. Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 87:14 Foul by Jon McShane on Shaun Hutchinson, free kick awarded. Darren Randolph takes the direct free kick.
- 85:10 Free kick taken by Lee Mair.
- 85:10 Booking The referee shows Michael Higdon a yellow card.
- 85:05 Unfair challenge on Jim Goodwin by Michael Higdon results in a free kick.
- 83:23 Substitution Stewart Carswell on for Steve Jennings.
- 82:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stephen Craigan on Steven Thompson. Jim Goodwin takes the direct free kick.
- 78:16 David van Zanten sends in a cross, clearance made by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 77:43 Foul by Ross Forbes on Steven Thompson, free kick awarded. Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 75:21 Jeroen Tesselaar fouled by Chris Humphrey, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Craig Samson.
- 74:26 Ross Forbes takes a shot. Save by Craig Samson.
- 72:49 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Tom Hateley, David van Zanten manages to make a clearance.
- 72:22 The official flags Steven Thompson offside. Darren Randolph takes the indirect free kick.
- 71:40 Unfair challenge on Lee Mair by Michael Higdon results in a free kick. Craig Samson takes the direct free kick.
- 70:59 Substitution Graham Carey leaves the field to be replaced by Jon McShane.
- 69:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steve Jennings on Jim Goodwin. Lee Mair takes the free kick.
- 67:52 Unfair challenge on Lee Mair by Michael Higdon results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Craig Samson.
- 66:24 Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 66:24 Booking Shaun Hutchinson is cautioned.
- 66:10 Shaun Hutchinson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Thompson.
- 64:28 Ross Forbes gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kenny McLean. Free kick taken by Kenny McLean.
- 64:14 The ball is swung over by Tom Hateley, Lee Mair makes a clearance.
- 61:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Graham Carey by Stevie Hammell. Graham Carey takes the free kick.
- 59:42 Gary Teale delivers the ball, Shaun Hutchinson manages to make a clearance. Corner taken right-footed by Gary Teale from the left by-line, clearance made by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 57:39 The ball is crossed by David van Zanten, Gary Teale takes a shot. Save by Darren Randolph.
- 55:57 Corner taken right-footed by Gary Teale, Stevie Hammell manages to make a clearance.
- 54:57 The assistant referee flags for offside against Shaun Hutchinson. Craig Samson takes the free kick.
- 53:32 Stevie Hammell restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:32 Booking The referee books David van Zanten for unsporting behaviour.
- 53:26 David van Zanten concedes a free kick for a foul on Stevie Hammell.
- 52:58 The referee blows for offside. Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 49:05 The free kick is delivered left-footed by Ross Forbes from right channel, Craig Samson makes a save.
- 49:05 Booking Booking for Jim Goodwin.
- 48:59 Nicky Law fouled by Jim Goodwin, the ref awards a free kick.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:05 The half-time whistle blows.
- 43:51 The ball is delivered by Stevie Hammell, Michael Higdon produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 42:22 Gary Teale takes a shot. Comfortable save by Darren Randolph.
- 39:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jeroen Tesselaar by Steve Jennings. Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:24 Gary Teale sends in a cross, clearance by Stephen Craigan. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Gary Teale.
- 27:58 Gary Teale challenges Stevie Hammell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Stevie Hammell restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:47 Michael Higdon takes a shot. Save by Craig Samson. Corner taken left-footed by Stevie Hammell to the near post, clearance made by Jim Goodwin.
- 21:33 Centre by David van Zanten, clearance by Tom Hateley. Gary Teale takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Shaun Hutchinson manages to make a clearance. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Graham Carey, Shaun Hutchinson makes a clearance.
- 20:33 Foul by Stephen Craigan on Steven Thompson, free kick awarded. Marc McAusland takes the free kick.
- 19:03 Nicky Law takes a shot. Save by Craig Samson. Inswinging corner taken by Tom Hateley.
- 18:09 Steve Jennings challenges Kenny McLean unfairly and gives away a free kick. Graham Carey crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left by-line, Michael Higdon makes a clearance.
- 14:50 Jamie Murphy takes a shot. Craig Samson makes a save. Corner taken by Tom Hateley from the left by-line, clearance made by Jim Goodwin. Corner taken by Stevie Hammell from the right by-line, clearance made by Marc McAusland.
- Correction - 13:53 Graham Carey takes a corner.
- 13:53 Short corner worked by Graham Carey.
- 12:36 The referee penalises Nicky Law for handball. Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick. Chris Humphrey challenges Paul McGowan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Shot on goal comes in from Graham Carey from the free kick, Tom Hateley gets a block in.
- 11:44 The referee blows for offside. Jim Goodwin takes the indirect free kick.
- 10:29 Steven Thompson challenges Shaun Hutchinson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:12 Michael Higdon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David van Zanten. Marc McAusland takes the direct free kick.
- 1:01 Foul by Steven Thompson on Steve Jennings, free kick awarded. Darren Randolph takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot
13 August 11Football