Inverness CT 0-1 Hibernian
Page last updated at 16:14 GMT, Saturday, 30 July 2011 17:14 UK
Inverness CT 0 - 1 Hibernian
Garry O'Connor's stoppage-time goal gave Hibernian their first-ever triumph in Inverness as Caley Thistle were made to rue a string of missed chances.
Caley Thistle's Gregory Tade had an effort ruled out for offside.
Hibs' Ian Murray had a similar effort chopped off before Matt Thornhill was denied by a Ryan Esson save.
Caley Thistle's Greg Tansey struck a post before Esson somehow allowed a scuffed shot from O'Connor to cross the line in the dying seconds.
And defeat leaves Inverness as the only side still to secure a point in the Scottish Premier League.
Two of Caley Thistle's three most recent signings, Wales midfielder Owain Tudur Jones and Austria Under-21 full-back Thomas Piermayr, had come into the starting line-up in place of Andrew Shinnie and David Proctor.
David Stephens replaced the injured Sean O'Hanlon in the visiting defence, which was the first to be under pressure after a quiet start.
Piermayr's 25-yard drive flew just wide of a Hibs post and the visitors responded immediately, with Kenny Gillet's last-ditch tackle turn.
However, it soon became clear why Inverness manager Terry Butcher was so keen to re-sign the experienced Chris Hogg on Friday.
With Hogg not yet match fit, his former team were finding their way through the home central defence and Kenny Gillet denied Ivan Sproule with a last-ditch interception after the winger delayed his close-range strike.
Esson beat away a 20-yard drive from O'Connor and the Scotland striker was denied again when his side-foot effort from just three yards following a Sproule cross struck the goalkeeper on the face.
Butcher was berating his players in frustration and they responded with a half-volley sent over the crossbar at the back post by Richie Foran.
As Caley Thistle showed signs of improvement, Tade had the ball in the net, smashing the ball home from close range, but his celebrations were cut short by an offside flag against Foran.
Inverness continued to improve after the break, but the officials came to the rescue of Caley Thistle after Murray smashed the ball into the net from six yards only for the goal to be chopped off thanks to a flag from the assistant referee.
Hibs took heart and Esson did superbly to turn a Thornhill scissor kick over the crossbar.
Tansey poked the ball just wide from close range after a good run by the Inverness midfielder, while Tom Aldred failed to connect from only two yards as a cross flashed across the face of the Hibs goal.
Hibs goalkeeper Graham Stack parried clear a powerful effort from Shane Sutherland, while Tansey struck the post from close range, but the visitors stole the points in stoppage time.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 30 July 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Esson
- 03 Tokely yellow card
- 20 Aldred
- 22 Gillet
- 02 Piermayr
- 04 Tudur-Jones
- 07 Hayes
- 08 Tansey
- 11 Ross (Doran 58)
- 09 Foran
- 15 Tade (Sutherland 69)
- 12 Tuffey,
- 14 Proctor,
- 19 Shinnie,
- 10 Shinnie,
- 17 Morrison,
- 18 Sutherland,
- 23 Doran
- 01 Stack
- 03 Booth
- 04 Hanlon
- 06 Murray
- 17 Stephens
- 02 Wotherspoon (De Graaf 77)
- 06 Palsson yellow card
- 07 Sproule
- 14 Thornhill (Crawford 83)
- 16 Stevenson (Galbraith 65)
- 09 O'Connor
- 31 Brown,
- 02 Hart,
- 08 De Graaf,
- 11 Galbraith,
- 16 Crawford,
- 27 Horner,
- 29 Caldwell
- Inverness CT 46%
- Hibernian 54%
Attempts on target
- Inverness CT 2
- Hibernian 4
Attempts off target
- Inverness CT 8
- Hibernian 1
- Inverness CT 8
- Hibernian 4
- Inverness CT 3
- Hibernian 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:53 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+1:58 GOAL - Garry O'Connor:Inverness CT 0 - 1 Hibernian Garry O'Connor fires in a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Inverness CT 0-1 Hibernian.
- 90:00+1:25 A cross is delivered by Richie Foran, clearance by David Stephens.
- 89:05 The ball is crossed by Aaron Doran.
- 88:48 Jonathan Hayes takes a outswinging corner.
- 88:13 Corner taken left-footed by Jonathan Hayes from the left by-line, Effort from inside the penalty area by Greg Tansey hits the post.
- 88:01 Aaron Doran delivers the ball, David Stephens makes a clearance.
- 86:25 Unfair challenge on Aaron Doran by Daniel Galbraith results in a free kick. Jonathan Hayes takes the direct free kick.
- 84:52 Shane Sutherland has an effort at goal from 25 yards. Save made by Graham Stack.
- 83:41 Thomas Piermayr concedes a free kick for a foul on Daniel Galbraith. Callum Booth delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, Tom Aldred makes a clearance.
- 82:35 Substitution David Crawford on for Ivan Sproule.
- 79:59 Jonathan Hayes sends in a cross, Shot by Tom Aldred from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 79:43 Edwin De Graaf concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Doran. Owain Tudur Jones takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 76:25 Substitution Edwin De Graaf comes on in place of David Wotherspoon.
- 76:25 Substitution David Wotherspoon leaves the field to be replaced by Edwin De Graaf.
- 76:13 The ball is sent over by Richie Foran, clearance made by David Stephens.
- 75:17 The ball is crossed by Kenny Gillet.
- 73:57 Effort from outside the penalty box by Shane Sutherland goes wide left of the target.
- 71:58 Thomas Piermayr crosses the ball.
- 68:42 Substitution Gregory Tade leaves the field to be replaced by Shane Sutherland.
- 68:14 Victor Palsson concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Doran. Free kick crossed left-footed by Jonathan Hayes, save by Graham Stack.
- 68:14 Booking Victor Palsson is cautioned.
- 67:38 Corner taken by Callum Booth, clearance by Tom Aldred.
- 67:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Daniel Galbraith by Kenny Gillet. Callum Booth takes the free kick.
- 66:16 Jonathan Hayes crosses the ball, Effort from the edge of the area by Greg Tansey goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 65:24 Outswinging corner taken by Ivan Sproule, Owain Tudur Jones manages to make a clearance.
- 64:37 Shot by Matt Thornhill. Save by Ryan Esson.
- 64:37 Substitution Lewis Stevenson leaves the field to be replaced by Daniel Galbraith.
- 63:54 Richie Foran takes a short corner.
- 63:47 Jonathan Hayes crosses the ball, clearance made by Paul Hanlon.
- 63:24 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jonathan Hayes, Garry O'Connor manages to make a clearance.
- 63:07 Aaron Doran crosses the ball, clearance made by David Stephens.
- 62:55 The ball is swung over by Gregory Tade, clearance made by David Stephens.
- 62:00 Ivan Sproule is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Ryan Esson takes the indirect free kick.
- 61:28 A cross is delivered by David Wotherspoon, Ross Tokely makes a clearance.
- 57:28 Substitution (Inverness CT) makes a substitution, with Aaron Doran coming on for Nick Ross.
- 56:33 Foul by Ian Murray on Owain Tudur Jones, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Tom Aldred.
- 55:39 The ball is sent over by Nick Ross.
- 54:21 Centre by Jonathan Hayes, David Stephens manages to make a clearance.
- 53:19 A cross is delivered by Nick Ross.
- 52:07 Shot from just outside the box by Lewis Stevenson goes over the bar.
- 51:08 The referee blows for offside against Richie Foran. Indirect free kick taken by Graham Stack.
- 50:00 Unfair challenge on Greg Tansey by Ian Murray results in a free kick. Kenny Gillet takes the free kick.
- 47:55 Foul by Paul Hanlon on Ross Tokely, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed left-footed by Jonathan Hayes.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:59 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:06 Gregory Tade is ruled offside. Graham Stack takes the indirect free kick.
- 44:42 The ball is sent over by Thomas Piermayr, David Stephens makes a clearance.
- 43:18 The assistant referee signals for offside against Gregory Tade. Free kick taken by Graham Stack.
- 43:05 The ball is crossed by Nick Ross.
- 42:18 Corner from the left by-line taken by Nick Ross, clearance by Callum Booth.
- 42:05 Nick Ross delivers the ball, blocked by Paul Hanlon.
- 41:11 Jonathan Hayes delivers the ball, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Gregory Tade misses to the left of the goal.
- 40:19 The ball is swung over by Victor Palsson.
- 39:23 Ross Tokely has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 39:11 The ball is crossed by Kenny Gillet, David Stephens manages to make a clearance.
- 38:11 Ivan Sproule takes a shot. Tom Aldred gets a block in.
- 36:34 Richie Foran crosses the ball, David Stephens manages to make a clearance.
- 34:51 Paul Hanlon concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Hayes. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Greg Tansey, Graham Stack makes a save.
- 32:28 Jonathan Hayes crosses the ball, Shot from deep inside the area by Richie Foran clears the crossbar.
- 30:26 Corner taken right-footed by David Wotherspoon from the right by-line, clearance made by Tom Aldred.
- 29:17 Centre by Ivan Sproule, clearance by Ross Tokely.
- 28:08 Richie Foran is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Graham Stack.
- 24:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Garry O'Connor by Tom Aldred. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Callum Booth, Tom Aldred manages to make a clearance.
- 17:11 The ball is delivered by Matt Thornhill.
- 13:43 Jonathan Hayes sends in a cross, clearance by David Stephens.
- 8:53 Inswinging corner taken by Callum Booth from the right by-line, save by Ryan Esson.
- 8:24 Ivan Sproule takes a shot. Save by Ryan Esson.
- 7:37 Thomas Piermayr produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 6:31 Jonathan Hayes fouled by David Wotherspoon, the ref awards a free kick. Jonathan Hayes takes the direct free kick.
- 6:21 Unfair challenge on Richie Foran by Victor Palsson results in a free kick. Greg Tansey takes the free kick.
- 5:41 Corner taken by Nick Ross from the right by-line, Lewis Stevenson manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 4:31 Gregory Tade is ruled offside. Graham Stack takes the free kick.
- 4:31 The referee blows for offside. Graham Stack takes the indirect free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Scottish Premier results
Scottish Premier table snapshot