Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Scotland's John Barnes and Jim Traynor
"It was a convincing win for Rangers."
 real 14k

Hibernian manager Alex McLeish
"We managed to get players back playing again."
 real 14k

Rangers manager Dick Advocaat
"We scored some good goals."
 real 14k

Sunday, 20 May, 2001, 20:23 GMT 21:23 UK
Four star Gers demolish Hibs
Rangers put on a stirring end of season show
Rangers put on a stirring end of season show
Rangers 4-0 Hibernian

Hibs prepared for next weekend's Scottish Cup final in the worst possible way as they were on the receiving end of a mauling at Ibrox.

A Jorg Albertz penalty, two goals from Ronald de Boer, a Jorg Albertz penalty and a late strike from Tony Vidmar sunk a wretched Hibs side, who also lost captain Franck Sauzee with what looked like a serious hamstring injury.

The game may have been a last chance for the Rangers fans to see the likes of Tugay, Albertz and Lorenzo Amoruso, who all appear to be destined to leave the club over the summer.

All three men put on a wonderful show as the home side dominated the game from start to finish.

Marcus Gayle was given just his fourth start for the Ibrox side in place of the injured Tore Andre Flo and Vidmar took the place of fellow Australian Craig Moore.

Hibs welcomed back recent injury victims Ulrik Laursen and Paul Fenwick to their line-up, while Gary Smith was rested with the versatile Ian Murray slotting into central defence. David Zitelli started with Marc Libbra up front.

Rangers enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges and the first chance fell to Gayle in the 9th minute when he blazed the ball over the bar after neat exchange with Rod Wallace, following some neat work down the left flank from de Boer.

The Dutch international was at the centre of attention three minutes later when he won a penalty for his side.

De Boer celebrates his first goal
De Boer celebrates his first goal
An excellent series of passes opened up the Hibs defence, allowing de Boer to race in on goalkeeper Nick Colgan. The former Barcelona man appeared to have ruined an excellent opportunity by dragging the ball too wide, but then toppled dramatically to hoodwink referee Dougie McDonald as Colgan lay prostrate on the turf.

Albertz drilled the ball home low and hard from the spot.

De Boer's next contribution was less contentious when he had the simple task of tapping the ball into an unguarded net to double the home side's lead in the 34th minute.

Wallace was the provider - drawing Colgan from his line before squaring the ball to his team-mate with the Hibs defence posted missing.

Tugay should have scored minutes later after a slip from the off-form Franck Sauzee, but the Turk over-elaborated when confronted by Colgan and when the ball broke to Wallace, Fenwick was on hand to clear the striker's net-bound shot.

Fenwick and Gayle get in a tangle
Fenwick and Gayle get in a tangle
The second half was 12 minutes old when de Boer grabbed his second goal of the game.

A deep cross from Lorenzo Amoruso was controlled expertly on the Dutchman's chest before a quick swivel and shot which spun off the outstretched leg of Fenwick and looped over Colgan.

Soon after, Colgan had to look smart to smother a useful shot from Gayle.

Substitute Peter Lovenkrands was next to try his luck, but the Dane scuffed his shot and Colgan gathered easily.

Hibs created a rare chance for themselves when a great cut-back from Laursen found Zitelli, but the French striker missed the target from an excellent position.

Indecision from Fenwick allowed Lovenkrands to fire in a sho whicht Colgan did well to push over the bar.

John O'Neil wasted another good chance for Hibs when he blazed the ball high over the bar. A bad afternoon for the visitors got worse when Sauzee left the park on a stretcher in the dying minutes.

Vidmar charged through the fragile Hibs defence in injury time to knock home a fourth goal.

Rangers: Klos, Amoruso, Vidmar, Konterman, Ricksen, Tugay, de Boer, Albertz, Numan, Wallace, Gayle.

Subs: Christiansen, van Bronckhorst, Dodds, Lovenkrands, Kaupilla.

Hibernian: Colgan, Fenwick, Sauzee, Murray, Lovell, Jack, Arpinion, O'Neil, Laursen, Zitelli, Libbra.

Subs: Westwater, Paatelainen, Brebner, Lehmann, McManus.

Referee: D McDonald

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top