Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Dundee boss Ivano Bonetti
"Tonight the first chance we had, we scored"
 real 14k

Rangers boss Dick Advocaat
"There is no belief, no confidence in the team"
 real 14k

BBC Sport's Ian Turner
"Dundee, ever energetic and skillful took the points and they earned them"
 real 14k

Wednesday, 14 March, 2001, 22:56 GMT
Dundee stun woeful Rangers
Moore walks after his second foul on Juan Sara
Moore walks after his second foul on Juan Sara

Rangers 0-2 Dundee

Dundee emulated neighbours United's weekend cup achievement by inflicting a memorable league defeat on sorry Rangers who fall even further off the pace set by rampant rivals Celtic.

Claudio Caniggia's first-half strike and substitute Steven Milne's stoppage-time clincher took the points back to Tayside.

Rangers were reduced to ten men early in the second period when Craig Moore was sent off as the Ibrox club's season somehow keeps getting worse.

Rangers manager Dick Advocaat handed two players their full debuts but French winger Fabrice Fernandes was not one of them.

International clearance from France was not quick enough to allow him to begin his loan spell from Rennes via Fulham.


Marcus Gayle took his place alongside Tore Andre Flo in attack and young Steven Carson began on the left flank.

It was the second time the two sides had met in just over a fortnight, with Juan Sara's two penalty misses aiding Rangers' 1-0 win on that occasion.

Rangers fashioned the first chance, Gayle playing in Sergio Porrini whose shot was blocked by Barry Smith.

Carson did well forcing Dundee keeper Marco Roccati into making a block and it needed Chris Coyne to head the loose ball away.

But it was Dundee who opened the scoring in the 14th minute through that man Caniggia.

Rangers cleared a Giorgi Nemsadze free-kick but after Javier Artero and Barry Smith combined on the right, Smith poked the ball forward to the preying Argentinian striker.

Caniggia slipped his marker to fire home from a tight angle at the near post.


Roccati denied Rangers an instant equaliser after Gayle had put Carson cantering clear, the Italian blocking the shot with his body.

Rangers were toiling, with little quality coming from midfield for Flo and Gayle to work with.

Scott Wilson's mishit clearance gave Sara a snapshot chance right in front of goal but Klos was equal to the shot.

Dundee wasted a glorious chance to go 2-0 up when Artero sent Caniggia haring down the right. His cross was met by Gavin Rae but he shot wastefully wide.

Just before half-time Gayle had a headed opportunity from Lorenzo Amoruso's free-kick but Roccati made the save.

Not long after the re-start Rangers were reeling when Moore was sent off. The Australian was first booked for clattering into the back of Sara, injuring the back of the striker's head.

Seconds later he was late on the same player and was soon trudging towards the tunnel.

Caniggia was booked for diving as Johnston challenged. Johnston was then replaced by defender Bob Malcolm coming on to plug the gap left by the departed Moore.


Klos denied Caniggia a second after Rae's super ball had put him through on goal, the German keeper blocking the shot with his body.

Barry Ferguson was booked for a foul on Beto Garrido before Flo blazed a good chance over the Dundee crossbar as the home fans vented their fury.

Dodds' appeal for a penalty was turned down by referee John Rowbotham before Gayle crossed for a Flo header that bounced narrowly wide.

Caniggia almost set up Nemsadze for an injury-time clincher after Garrido had made his way into the box but his shot was deflected away for a corner that Caniggia headed just over.

Walter del Rio came on and immediately set up fellow substitute Steven Milne for the second Dundee goal deep into stoppage time with a perfect cross to the far post which Milne headed past Klos.

Rangers: Klos, Moore, Wilson, Amoruso, Porrini, Carson, Konterman, Ferguson, Johnston, Gayle, Flo.

Subs: Dodds, Christiansen, Leven, Malcolm, Kaupilla.

Dundee: Roccati, Smith, Marrocco, Tweed, Coyne, Artero, Rae, Garrido, Nemsadze, Caniggia, Sara.

Subs: Langfield, Milne, Robertson, Del Rio, Russo.

Referee: J Rowbotham

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

11 Mar 01 |  Scottish Cup
United sink ragged Rangers
09 Mar 01 |  Dundee
De Marchi gets marching orders
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top