Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Scot Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Roddy Forsyth
"The tightest Old Firm derby of recent times"
 real 14k

Rangers boss Dick Advocaat
"This year is not our year"
 real 14k

Celtic's Ramon Vega
"I really enjoy it up here, the supporters are fantastic"
 real 14k

Celtic's Chris Sutton
"We held on well"
 real 56k

Man of the match: Celtic's Bobby Petta
"It was a good result"
 real 56k

Celtic boss Martin O'Neill
"The team will take confidence from the win"
 real 56k

Sunday, 11 February, 2001, 21:00 GMT
Thompson seals fate for Rangers
Didier Agathe congratulates goalscorer Alan Thompson
Didier Agathe congratulates goalscorer Alan Thompson
Celtic 1-0 Rangers

Alan Thompson's first-half goal rubber-stamped Celtic dominance over their Old Firm rivals this season and looks to have ensured that his side will lift the Scottish Premier League title.

Rangers at last showed something resembling the performance expected of reigning champions as they battled for their lives with only 10 men after the break.

But Celtic stretched their lead over Rangers to 12 points and over second-top Hibernian to 11.

Rangers paid for a first half in which they were totally outplayed, allowed Thompson to score and had Fernando Ricksen sent off.

Dug deep

Celtic made three changes from the side that beat Rangers 3-1 in the CIS Insurance Cup semi-final on Wednesday.

The cup-tied Robert Douglas and Didier Agathe returned at the expense of Jonathan Gould and the suspended Stilian Petrov, while Bobby Petta replaced the injured Jackie McNamara.

Rangers brought in Kenny Miller and Ricksen as they dug deep into resources stretched by suspension and injury.

But it was Celtic who had the ball in the net as early as the eighth minute.

Nervousness and disarray

From the home side's first corner, Ramon Vega headed home only to be pulled up for a foul.

Wilson and Ricksen shackle Larsson
Wilson and Ricksen shackle Larsson
Ricksen was booked two minutes later for a late tackle on Thompson.

Larsson then sent an overhead kick a couple of feet over.

Those three incidents were indications of a nervousness and disarray in the Rangers defence that was finally exploited after 16 minutes.

Larsson won a header against Scott Wilson and Chris Sutton played it neatly back into his strike partner's path.

Crucial goal

The Swede's attempted shot deflected off Jorg Albertz and into the path of Thompson unmarked 12 yards out.

The English midfielder slotted the ball wide of the exposed Stefan Klos for the crucial goal.

Rangers' only attempt of the first half arrived two minutes later.

But a head flick by Albertz from a Neil McCann corner flew well over.

Lived dangerously

The nervous moments continued at the back for Rangers and Paul Lambert just could not put enough of a lift on his shot after Konterman forced Klos into a hurried clearance with a bad back-pass.

Celtic send the home fans wild
Celtic send the home fans wild
It looked all over for Rangers a minute before the break.

Ricksen had already lived dangerously with a couple of challenges.

When he floored Tom Boyd with another late tackle, referee Hugh Dallas had no option but to show the Dutch full-back a second yellow card.

Rangers brought on midfielder Tugay for striker Miller at half-time.

The Turk helped set up the champions' best chance yet, a 20-yard drive from Albertz flying a couple of yards over.

Tore Andre Flo broke clear and set up Albertz on the edge of the box and the German's low drive from the edge of the box forced Douglas into his first save of the match.

Rangers came close to equalising after 63 minutes.

Late penalty claim

Douglas flapped at an Albertz corner and Konterman's shot from the edge of the box was first touched by the goalkeeper's outstretched hand then headed off the line by Agathe.

Celtic were sitting back but should have killed Rangers off on the break after 70 minutes.

Larsson found Thompson in the clear, but this time the midfielder powered his 18-yard drive yards over.

Rangers had claims for a late penalty waved aside after Sutton appeared to hold back Flo inside the box.

Celtic: Douglas, Boyd, Mjallby, Vega, Agathe, Thompson, Lambert, Lennon, Petta, Larsson, Sutton.

Subs: Gould, Tebily, Johnson, Healy, Smith.

Rangers: Klos, Konterman, Malcolm, Wilson, Ricksen, Ferguson, Albertz, McCann, Numan, Flo, Miller.

Subs: Christiansen, Tugay, Johnston, Hughes, Carson.

Referee: H Dallas.

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

11 Feb 01 |  Scot Prem
Clockwatch: Celtic 1-0 Rangers
09 Feb 01 |  Scot Prem
Mols appeal is thrown out
08 Feb 01 |  CIS Ins Cup
SPL urges Old Firm calm
08 Feb 01 |  CIS Ins Cup
Celtic clinch stormy semi-final
08 Feb 01 |  Rangers
Tribunal date set for Ricksen
05 Feb 01 |  Rangers
Gio out of Old Firm cup tie
Links to top Scot Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Scot Prem stories

^^ Back to top