Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 9 April, 2003, 20:42 GMT 21:42 UK
Rangers ease past Pars
Mikel Arteta chipped home Rangers' third goal
Rangers 3-0 Dunfermline

Rangers cruised into the Scottish Cup semi-finals with a comfortable replay win over Dunfermline at Ibrox.

Alex McLeish's side will meet Motherwell at Hampden on 19 April and with the league leaders already holding the CIS Cup, dreams of a domestic treble are still on course.

First-half goals from Peter Lovenkrands and skipper Barry Ferguson put Rangers in control of the tie and Mikel Arteta scored early in the second period.

Dunfermline were too ponderous in their approach play and were second best in all departments.

The visitors carved out a great early chance when Craig Brewster managed to thread a pass in behind the Rangers defence and into the path of Steven Hampshire, but the Pars man could only find the side-netting.

Rangers responded immediately and scored the opening goal in the fourth minute after some calamitous play from Dunfermline.

A throw from goalkeeper Derek Stillie to Andrius Skerla was intercepted by Lovenkrands and the Danish international strode forward unchallenged and stroked the ball into the net.

More shaky defending almost led to another Rangers goal and Stillie had to come off his line sharply to stop Ronald de Boer latching on to an under-hit backpass from Ged Brannan.

The ball fell to Ferguson but the Scotland midfielder fail to find the empty net with a mis-hit shot from just outside the area.

The Rangers skipper atoned for his miss after 19 minutes when he burst into the box to meet an Arthur Numan cross with a diving header from eight yards out for his 18th goal of the season.

Rangers were well on top and de Boer attempted an outrageous shot from outside the box and way out on the right but it was bang on target and Stillie had to be perfectly positioned to save.

Peter Lovenkrands opened the scoring at Ibrox
Rangers keeper Stefan Klos denied Dunfermline a way back into the game when he tipped a Barry Nicholson shot around the post.

Rangers started brightly after the interval, and Michael Mols fired a good chance across goal and wide before Lovenkrands struck a low drive that Stillie was able to block.

Any hopes Dunfermline had of a second half comeback were shattered nine minutes after the interval, when Arteta extended the home team's advantage with a clever goal.

The Spanish midfielder took de Boer's pass into the box in his stride and gently lifted the ball over Stillie as the goalkeeper slid out.

The dangerous Lovenkrands twice found de Boer in good positions but the Dutchman could not find the net as the contest became increasingly one-sided.

In the 65th minute Hampshire wasted Dunfermline's best chance by firing over with the goal at his mercy.

Rangers: Klos, Ricksen, Malcolm, Amoruso, Numan, Arteta, Konterman, Ferguson, De Boer, Mols, Lovenkrands. Subs: McGregor, Caniggia, McCann, Arveladze, Hughes.

Dunfermline: Stillie, Nicholson, MacPherson, Skerla, Brannan, Bullen, Mason, McGroarty, Hampshire, Crawford, Brewster. Subs: Ruitenbeek, Kilgannon, Hunt, Grondin, McGarty.

Referee: J Underhill

BBC Five Live's Roddy Forsyth
"In the end a comfortable win for Rangers"



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport