BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 21:14 GMT, Tuesday, 26 August 2008 22:14 UK

Hibernian 3-4 Morton (aet)

Iain Russell
Iain Russell scored the opener for Morton

Morton booked their place in the third round of the Co-op Insurance Cup after a thrilling encounter against Hibs.

Iain Russell's 29th-minute strike and a free-kick from Stevie Masterton on 66 minutes put the First Division ahead.

Joe Keenan struck for Hibs in the 80th minute and Dean Shiels' drive restored the balance with five minutes to go.

Steven Pinau's strike put Hibs back on track in extra-time, but Ian Russell's penalty and Ryan Harding's shot completed the upset.

Hibs won the League Cup in 2007 but have now fallen at home in the early stages twice since then.

Easter Road striker Colin Nish almost opened the scoring in the first minute, while Hibs keeper Andy McNeil had to dive low to his left to keep a shot from Russell out in a bright opening spell.

Steven Fletcher should have done better than hit John Rankin's pass straight at Kevin Cuthbert and Nish then struck the bar from a corner as Hibs sought the breakthrough.

Fletcher was again denied by Cuthbert in the 26th minute and three minutes later Morton scored on the counter-attack.

Russell beat McNeil for McAlister's through ball and fired a shot past covering defender Ian Murray.

Morton were then denied by the crossbar when Stevie Masterton's corner was deflected.

David Grof was given his debut when he replaced the injured McNeil, and Hibs' performance went rapidly downhill shortly afterwards.

The young Hungarian goalkeeper was powerless when Morton extended their lead.

Lewis Stevenson fouled Russell 30 yards out and Masterton sent a magnificent effort into the top corner.

The match appeared to be slipping away from Hibs when Keenan drove high into the roof of the net with 10 minutes to go.

Shiels then sent the match into extra-time when he beat Cuthbert with a smart low shot into the bottom corner.

The match took a dramatic turn when Hibs manager Paatelainen was sent to the stand for remonstrating with referee Ian Brines.

When substitute Pinau netted his first goal for the Edinburgh club, Hibs looked likely to progress until Morton's magnificent late comeback.

Hibernian: McNeil (Grof 43), van Zanten, Hogg, Murray, Stevenson, Shiels, Keenan, Rankin, Morais (Zemmama 46), Fletcher, Nish (Pinau 73). Subs Not Used: Campbell, Canning.

Booked: Stevenson, Hogg, Pinau.

Goals: Keenan 80, Shiels 85, Pinau 91.

Morton: Cuthbert, Shimmin, McManus, Harding, Walker (Weatherson 46), McGuffie, Paartalu, Masterton (Jenkins 86), McAlister, Wake (Newby 110), Russell. Subs Not Used: McAnespie, Stewart.

Booked: Paartalu, McManus.

Goals: Russell 29, Masterton 66, Russell 115 pen, Harding 118.

Att: 14,874

Ref: I Brines

see also
Hibs boss critical of ref Brines
26 Aug 08 |  Hibernian

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.