BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:57 GMT, Saturday, 12 January 2008

Hibernian 3-0 Inverness CT

Dean Shiels (right) celebrates with team-mate Paul Hanlon
Shiels (right) was on target three times for Hibernian

Dean Shiels netted a hat-trick to give new Hibs manager Mixu Paatelainen a winning start in the Scottish Cup.

After five minutes, Shiels bamboozled Ross Tokely with some fancy footwork before slamming home from 14 yards.

More good work from Shiels saw him nut-meg Phil McGuire and drill the ball under Michael Fraser on 53 minutes.

Shiels tucked in his third when a shot from Filpe Morais came off the post but the game ended on an ugly note with McGuire and Morais sent off.

Paatelainen selected an attacking line-up for his first match in charge and was rewarded with an excellent display, full of crisp passing and invention.

"It was fantastic," said the Finn. "I wanted to see a hungry performance from the players with plenty of movement.

"I named players that could go forward and score, and it worked.

"I would have been proud of the goals that Dean scored. I have seen him play many times before I came here.

"He has not been playing too much recently but we gave him a chance. He has the ability to finish and go past players."

Injuries to David Murphy and Lewis Stevenson meant a debut for Hibs left-back Paul Hanlon and the youngster did not have much to do in the hour he played as the visitors struggled to get forward.

After a bright start from Inverness, Hibs took control of the game after Shiels opened the scoring with a fine run and shot.

The lively Merouane Zemmama then saw to shots saved by Michael Fraser and fellow Moroccan Abdessalam Benjelloun curled an effort just wide.

New Hibs manager Mixu Paatelainen applauds the Easter Road crowd
Paatelainen enjoyed a good first match at Easter Road

Inverness had a chance to level after Roy McBain's cross fell at the feet of Marius Niculae but the Romanian's stab at the ball from close range was gathered by Yves Ma-Kalambay.

Shiels caught the visitors out again early in the second half when he tricked his way past McGuire and hit the back of the net.

Morais' fizzed a low effort just wide before Niculae's deflected shot was saved by Ma-Kalambay.

Hibs substitute Mickael Antoine-Curier somehow headed over an empty goal from a few yards out.

But the home team were not be denied and, with seven minutes left, Shiels got his hat-trick after picking up the rebound to Morais' shot which struck the post.

The tie ended with McGuire and Morais both picking up their second yellow cards for squaring up to each other off the ball.

Hibernian: Ma-Kalambay, McCann, Hogg, Jones, Hanlon (McCormack 62), Morais, Kerr, Beuzelin, Shiels, Zemmama (O'Brien 90), Benjelloun (Antoine-Curier 74). Subs Not Used: McNeil, Chisholm.

Sent Off: Morais (87).

Booked: Morais, McCormack.

Goals: Shiels 5, 53, 84.

Inverness CT: Fraser, Tokely, McGuire, Munro, Hastings, Cowie (Proctor 61), Black (McDonald 85), Duncan, McBain, Bayne (Wyness 62), Niculae. Subs Not Used: Malkowski, Vigurs.

Sent Off: McGuire (88).

Booked: Black, McGuire.

Att: 12,578

Ref: S Conroy

see also
Scottish Cup photo gallery
12 Jan 08 |  Scotland

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.